PDA

View Full Version : Wet-sumped motor

redxt
02-18-2011, 09:05 AM
Hello. I thought I had left wet-sumping (oil filled crankcase)behind when I got rid of the HD big-twin. Seems my new bike, a 2010 Xt has the same problem. It has 1025 kms on it and cranks with a real effort with a fully charged battery. It hasnt been started since fall. Checked oil and found swingarm was empty. Is there any method other than cranking it over with the starter to clear the oil? Will a modern cdi burn-out if I do not ground the plugs while cranking the motor plug-less? Oil was changed at 500km with HD 20-50 conventional oil. Common problem??? Thanks

redxt
02-25-2011, 05:48 PM
I guess no one has had a similar problem. I was able to empty the crankcase with a vacuum extractor via the crank sensor hole. It started fine and ran well. When I pulled the sensor, a pint or so of oil poured out which surprised me as the hole is even with the center of the crank.
So...any ideas on the cause? Oil presure relief valve...ill fitting internal pump rotors? Thanks.

BuckDaniels
02-25-2011, 06:40 PM
The operators manual mentions this (although I haven't experienced it). The oil will drain from the sump into the crank case. There is a pump to pump oil from the crank case to the sump (swing arm). Pour about 250ml of oil and start it. All the oil will pump back into the swing arm once the oil pumps are running. Make sure once its been warned up that the oil level is correct. Im jealous by the way, way too cold here...