PDA

View Full Version : I have extended warranty on motorcycle and they have not fixed it. Oh ya its been5 months.

neveragain
02-22-2011, 03:59 PM
I need help!!!! Harley has had my motorcycle for 5 months and can not seem to fix it. I own a 2006 Buell Ulysses I bought new. I have had all the maintenance done at dealership of purchase. It died on the freeway in Oct and they have had the bike since and can not fix. I called Harley and they told me to piss off we are trying to fix the bike and that it is an extended warranty so its not on them. The dealer is throwing his hands up and saying sue Harley.. I live in California and have talked to a lawyer and they said I am screwed. I did find some info on a Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act but am not smart enough to know if it works for me. At this point I just want them to buy back the bike. Even if they fix it I don't want to be responsible for selling it to someone else and they end up with a lemon.

WHAT ARE MY RIGHTS?

Alfatango1
02-22-2011, 04:26 PM
You need to get the manufacturer involved. Call their corporate office and tell them your story.

Red93stang
02-22-2011, 06:36 PM
It wouldn't hurt to give EBR a call either. I have seen them go above and beyond for the Buell product. I have even seen them get involved with the dealer to come up with a fix. I know they are busy but I am sure they would lend a helping hand. Good luck

twoguns
02-22-2011, 06:43 PM
damn dude... you come in here crying like a baby and for what?????

first your bike is like 5 years old,

so i doubt you will get any buy back...

you dont mention what the problem is?

was it an ongoing concern right from the start of purchase or something thta just happened last october?

you dont have a manufacturer warranty, so you must have bought an 'extended warranty' and these are usually outsourced and only generally cover to a certain extent anyway.

you dont mention how many klms on your bike either... you say serviced, but how well is it maintained other than taht??? get the point!

so not sure what type of help you are after.

a bike that is five years old and dies can do so from all manner of reasons. so maybe some more details before you cry foul.

for example. my lady's bike is an 07, has 38000klms on it. always looked after and well loved and maintained. so anyway its currently stripped down for a rebuild as the gear sleector and fourth gear started not liking each other. been almost two months waiting for parts and fix... she doesnt whinge as much as you have seemed... and she is paying for it. NO warranty.

beefy99
02-22-2011, 06:56 PM
Neveragain,
Sorry about your misfortune. I agree with redstang see if EBR can come up with a fix, or possibly go to another dealer. That is if the current HD shop is clueless to the buell plight. Good luck

@ twoguns please rtfq, right in the title the guy says he has an extended. Don't hate so much I would be frustrated if I was told my bike was shot by the dealership I paid to keep my bike running.

twoguns
02-22-2011, 07:03 PM
i understand that... but he comes on here having a big sook... for what? he's five year old bike died. we all have someone whos bike didnt live as long as someones elses. my missus is the same scenario. i am not whinging. my bikes have lasted longer for some reason hers hasnt. but that is sometimes ****e luck. extended warranty is not manufacturer. its third party as he states. i know here they only cover so much for so much anyway. i am not hating! just dont get teh grip.
and asked the questions that need clarrifaction to offer hte solutions.

if its the dealer doesnt know whats the problem then its easy... find another dealer.

if its a part supply problem, ring harley...

but look at the guys name... 'neveragain'. it sounds like he has the hate!... for the bike.

Alfatango1
02-22-2011, 07:04 PM
Who is the extended warranty through? I didn't know you could get a motorcycle warranty from an outside company.

nativeXb12Rbuell
02-22-2011, 08:49 PM
sounds like you need to find a BUELL friendly dealer to fix your bike,one that has a buell tech on duty, that likes Buells. or does it say in your extended warranty where you can get it fixed at. just to clarify the extended warranty is through HarleyDavidson corporation and not a warranty from the dealer right or is it a third party warranty???
I would read the warranty papers several time to figure out what options you have, if all else fails just go call other dealers or other bike shops to see if they can fix it, or is the dealer waiting on parts ?? if they are just not fixing it you can go pick it up and take it somewhere else and pay some other shop or dealer to fix it, then sue to get your money back for repairs or money paid for warranty. if they are telling you to piss off and sue HD then they may or probably not doing anything to it now, thats how and what most places do when lawsuit is mentioned.

But I would FIRST call
Buell Customer Service at Harley-Davidson: the numbers are (414) 343-8400 and also (414) 343-4056 and see what they can do or help you figure something out.
or if it is a third party warranty call them.

Tork
02-22-2011, 10:47 PM
Twoguns, please check your attitude at the door. If you want to know more about his symptoms, just ask. No need to be a dick about it.

theoctopus
02-22-2011, 11:07 PM
Twoguns, please check your attitude at the door. If you want to know more about his symptoms, just ask. No need to be a dick about it.

I think he's too busy not whinging.

twoguns
02-22-2011, 11:57 PM
dont get me wrong here... i feel that the guy is suffering. damn, we all hate it when our bieks are not running, but maybe if hte guy comes in here with a better appropriate name, and explains his concerns clearly and so forth, then sure why not... maybe a bit of a g'day... rather than straight into his own problems. first post, but read it. he doesnt want it, hes title says the same. sure he is probably jack of it, but its not hte bike now is it. more likely the dealer.
and please... who or what in their right mind is going to buy back a 5year old bike... seriously!

no attitude.

dave_xb12r
02-23-2011, 12:05 AM
I understand...He's taking the anger of the dealership out on the bike, and to people like us that love the bikes, we take that as an insult.

The way I see it is.. he'll sell it for cheap which would let someone else love the bike more than he did.

twoguns
02-23-2011, 12:13 AM
thats it dave... sad, but true.

squidbuellie
02-24-2011, 09:11 PM
boy twoguns are a blazing :( can't believe you let a troll get you all fired up.

jimijeans
02-25-2011, 12:42 PM
The2006 Uly.,had Rear cylinder problems not sure why . the WHATS my rights deal. WE are BUELLERS. My brother & uncle are Lawyers. HERE you go! The Extended warranty is pretty much a SCAM. TOO many little discrepances on the contract. You would be better off when a problem such as this #1-call the Better Business Bureau. #2- call the state Attorneys Office. #3- after 45days, if the shop you hired/ can't do the job in a timely manner. PICK UP THE BIKE .Call the Third party if you can even get them on the phone! If you are having trouble ! The State Att., can only do so much.Save the Paper work !Read the contracts! When a Dealer offers the extended CRAP. NoThank you! Warranty on whatever it is will be just fine. Every where you go the Market is trying to sell you something.Extra! A tv is one thing.Still Reading takes time. If you don't have time to do that Per. MY Lawyer/ Uncle, just don't Unless you Know a lot about the subject.[confused][smirk]

nativeXb12Rbuell
02-25-2011, 05:52 PM
[up] jimijeans , I agree,dealers and companiees dont want bad press, but he is not there core customer so they probably dont care about it any ways.
some people dont have the common sense to read it and suckered by the sales team! just read the dang thing or dont get it if you dont KNOW what it really will or WILL NOT do for you.
if you read most of those warranties paperwork , you willsee most will say it it in writting that if there is discrepancies or a dispute over anything then the warranty company will assign an arbitrator of the warranty companies' choice and you the buyer wave any and all legal rights for a lawyer and trail by judge or jury in any dispute that may arise for any legal matter.
it their little loopholes like that among others that make it worthless.
Just dont sign your name to anything until you have read it in it's entirety and full understand it , and dont be stupid and ask them what it means, you'll only get a BS answer, make sure you get every thing in writing not just a yes it includes this and that, or sure if it breaks down or we cant fix it we refund your money or find you one no charge.

Sirius815
02-25-2011, 05:58 PM
No reply from the OP in a week? Sheesh

mowgoli84
02-25-2011, 06:01 PM
i've had an extended warranty on multiple bikes with the same third party warranty company and have never had any issues getting any type of work done, so i guess they are all not crap... every time I have had warranty work done through them the dealer has said they were very nice and willing to cover just about anything.

jimijeans
02-26-2011, 03:57 AM
What is the (same) third party warranty company you have ? There are good deals but the majority can't do the job in a Timely manner.This comes from experience.It happened to my Aunt.With her car. From what I have seen w/ my Uncles law firm it sometimes takes a lawyer firm to get them to either return a portion of funds or send it somewhere else to be done. Yes it ended up in my shop. Had it done in 8 days. Trouble is not all the protection policies are bad ! A large company say Honda or Harley will have to eat a little Labor Time to get it done in an Timely Manner.The kick backs from the sales will make up the difference. Thats just good Business. But every once in a while the( big job) pops up! The fee charged won't even come close to getting the job done.So many that don't know how to do much more than ride/drive these days, especially now that more women than ever are doing the ext.,deals. So there is a need for these programs/contracts etc. The paperwork is key. If any one is in the knowing of a list that has good Reputations post up! There are too many scams on just about everything it seems.Its just the sign of the times. Read, Read!

mowgoli84
02-27-2011, 08:18 PM
@ jimiJeans ^

The company I have used is Interstate. Now, I am sure some people will have the opposite opinion as I have.. its like that with anything, and I will admit I was a little bit hesitant to sing the dotted line and pick them up as my warranty provider.

However, I have since had three different bikes covered by them and have only ever had one issue with getting work done in the past 5+ years and that was with my k1200r. The dealer (not a buell or harley) I bought my buell from had an option in the contract to pay an extra 20 bucks a month for an extended two year warranty covering all parts and labor on any mechanical part that fails..The nice thing is I can take the bike to any shop of my choice to have the work done as long as they are certified to work on the bike.

Like I said, maybe I have been lucky with them but I have never had trouble getting work done in a timely and professional manner, just pay the 50 bucks for the deductible. I know a lot of people who have trouble with warranty work because their bikes show obvious signs of neglect and general misuse or lack of routine maintenance. I take care of my stuff so they've never questioned it when things break.
just my two pennies...

http://www.inds.com/

Check em out, they have seemed to be pretty honest and fair thus far.

http://www.inds.com/sample_tc/StarSport-904.pdf

I have DIAMOND coverage on my buell.

Hope this helps.

jimijeans
02-27-2011, 10:58 PM
YEP, Diamond is good to have! The way things are made nowdays. I'm a certified mech. so i preach the basics that sometimes fall on deaf ears. Using the best products over my 30years of this type of work that started w/my uncle And my first bike. For those that need it Read the paper work. People just don't do that.The excitement of a new product has a lot to do w/ that. Sales persons can sniff out these individuals. Btw interstate has been around for some time.If people would just slow down a bit and ck up on the warranty company at home on line or other, then the better choice could be handled. But sales will act like it won't be there ever again!! Patience! And All help is welcomed IN my Opinon we all can use a new wrinkle in the Brain.[smirk]

onelogue
02-28-2011, 12:31 AM
Delete this thread!! The guy hasn't even replied ad by the screen name that he chose, its not like we need him around anyways.

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/3100_20101201072618_L.jpg