PDA

View Full Version : New owner in the UK...with questions

J1MMY
02-23-2011, 02:59 PM
Hello folks

Almost this time last year I had the opportunity of picking up a '05 Uly, but missed out as I was short on cash. Picked up a S*****ter a couple of weeks later...anyways, the fella who bought the Buell rode it once and scared himself so it sat there unused - I was very happy to do a straight swap and am subsequently the happy owner of the aforementioned Uly.

It has done 13k miles and because it works out to be a cheap buy (and because I will be using it for a trip from the west country to Amsterdam) I'm wanting to get it serviced in the hope of it proving to be reliable.

so...what is the general concensus on oil, plug and filter selection? The bike has a remus system although I don't know if it has been mapped to suit.

Also, has anyone swapped out the bars on these? I'm not keen on the height of them or the crossbrace on them. I'd quite like some renthal type bars and would be interested to hear feedback on any similar conversions.

After spending my riding life exclusively on Jap bikes and one gutless wonder I am enjoying the way this wants to pull your arms off from idle.[up]

captain chaos
02-23-2011, 04:25 PM
Congrats on the bike. I too just sold a Sportster for a Buell (2004 XB12R). Talk about a trade up. The only thing the Sportster did well was look good. Functionally, as a motorcycle, it was a piece of crap. [down]

At 13k you want to make sure that the primary oil is changed, the primary chain is adjusted to within spec and the clutch is adjusted properly. Don't worry though, all 3 things shouldn't take more than 1/2 hour. Easy stuff. Download the service manual from this site and go at it.[up]

The spark plugs should be changed also but that won't be quite as easy as their a bit of a pain to get to.

As far as a consensus on oil and what not, good luck. That's like asking for a consensus in the middle east as to which religion is best. :D
Modern oils are very good. Just use whatever brand you like in the proper weight and change it at the recommended intervals and you'll be fine.

For plugs I plan on using NGK iridiums. Their not that expensive and if it'll stretch out my change interval it's well worth it.

anrkizm95
02-23-2011, 04:37 PM
sportster for a buell cant beat that deal.i would have thought at least 3 sportys for a buell.[up] i use mobil1 in both holes others use royal purple and amsoil those seem to be the 3 major brands used. ngk plugs are a big improvement also.welcome to the forum.

J1MMY
02-27-2011, 07:40 PM
Cheers for the welcome/info.

The bike has been stood for a while so I was worried about things snapping on me (they have a habit of doing that) but the front plug came out no probs...they did a good job of putting the rear one out of the way [mad]:D

Some of those oils I'm unfamiliar with so I'll nose about. Iridium plugs are a certainty. Found some renthals at my cousins workshop so will be popping them on.

Has anyone swapped the lower front mudguard for a 'full' one off of another model and has anyone seen/written up about setting up the suspension?

Cheers[up]

wbedient
03-03-2011, 07:41 AM
The manual has an awesome write up on how to adjust the suspension.

I have used a lot of different oils. I have come to LOVE full synthetic Mobil 1 v-twin formula. I use it in engine and primary. Bike just seems to run better with this oil than any of the others I have tried... but it ain't cheap.

Fork oil should be changed with your mileage... while your in there put in some springs from a 2008 model, they're progressive and will eliminate some of that front end dive.

As far as changing the front fender... the xb12xt comes with a full front fender and no "beak" sticking out. I think you can change 'em over, but you may have a hard time finding that part.

You should use ECMspy on your bike if you have an aftermarket exhaust. It will run cooler and won't pop so much on decel.

Happy riding!

J1MMY
03-05-2011, 05:04 PM
I'll read up on the suspension then and cheers for more oil info.

You are right, there are precious few Buells in the breakers yards and X/XT seem to be the rarest.

I'll have to check out ECMspy, don't know if it is available over here in the UK.

[up]

anrkizm95
03-05-2011, 05:13 PM
ecmspy (http://www.ecmspy.com/)

J1MMY
03-06-2011, 02:29 PM
Cheers for that - will look through it now[up]

Bloody renthals don't fit - because of the sweep etc they foul the fork adjusters[down]

Note to all - don't try fitting renthal 722's.