PDA

View Full Version : Surging and rough idle: fuel pump?

iblameadd
02-22-2007, 10:06 PM
[confused]
Damn thing surges at idle, no matter what setting I have my techlusions at. 14000 miles, with jardine can and open air box. The headlight dims when rpms drop to around 500 when rough idle. Just had new battery installed few months ago, so that's not it.
Found a replacement fuel pump, should I just change it? Anybody know where it is located?

BuellPartsGuy
02-22-2007, 10:41 PM
Fuel pump is on the left side of the frame behind your left footrest. It doesnt sound like a fuel pump at all. If it was, it simply wouldn't run. My advice is to get a service manual before anything like that. Try zeroing the TPS and relfashing the ECM. Changing your plugs might not hurt either. Check for any sort of intake leak. TPS voltage should be between 5.2 and 5.8 volts at idle. Thats all I can think of off hand.

2Evil4U
02-23-2007, 01:13 AM
When my TPS was reset at 1k I checked the output as soon as I got home, the voltages were:

1.1V closed & 4.6V WOT

Recommended range is .5V-4.9V according to the service manual.

That's for my XB12X.

I agree on the fuel pump. It wouldn't run at all if it were dead.

My bike did some odd stuff at idle before the TPS was reset. It's been smooth ever since.

azsnow
03-02-2007, 02:17 PM
You never listed when this occurs, does it happen from the start, or after the bike is riden for some time. Do not rule out the fuel pump just yet, its not one of those on or off items. Your headlight will dim when the idle drops below 1000rpms, this has nothing to do with the battery or a malfunction with the charging system, its just that the motor is not running at the required RPM for optimal charging. Did this problem occur before or after the instalation of the Techlusion box? Give some more information....

DucattiRacer1018
05-30-2007, 09:27 AM
I really don't know. Can't help you there?

Custom World International Motorcycle Parts Catalog (http://www.who-sells-it.com/cy/custom-world-international-722/custom-world-international-motorcycle-parts-catalog-456.html) - Download the Custom World International Motorcycle Parts Catalog