PDA

View Full Version : six speed?

mattyxb9r
02-28-2011, 06:45 AM
I know most early buell's have only five speeds and a lot of wish we could have one but has anyone tried to do that? Put some sort of six speed gear box on a buell?

BuellerPilot
02-28-2011, 07:42 AM
You can get a Baker 6 speed for tubers. No known kits for the XB, haven't seen anyone try a retro fit either.

http://www.bakerdrivetrain.com/xl/index.htm

~Mike....

Miami78
02-28-2011, 08:13 AM
I so wish someone would make a 6 speed for the xb's...same gearing for the first 5, then a nice low 6th. I commute 50 miles a day, pretty much all highway...sitting at 4-4.2k rpms (~85mph) pretty much the whole time, would be really nice to get that down a bit.

upthemaiden
02-28-2011, 11:10 AM
I hate riding my xb on the highway. It wasn't as noticable with the stock exhaust, but with the Hawk it's just screaming. I just try to avoid it as best I can. Sometimes when it's late and I'm bored I just want to get home though and will hop on the highway for 20 minutes. I've got a 4.5 hour highway trip coming up in the next couple months. I'm just gonna put in some ear plugs and try to focus on the scenery haha.

buelljek
02-28-2011, 12:05 PM
So, would the 6spd be only for mpgs, and noise or any more top speed? I thought they get pegged at about 140mph, cant see how a 6th gear would get u there faster?

Miami,
U in a hurry or something??? LOL

Upthe,
So the Hawk will get to ur ears? Most of my drive time is highway (600-700) miles a week. I have read that most other pipes are even louder. I cant imagine doing 5hrs a week with my ears ringing. I have also heard that there is a quiet version of the Hawk. Any ideas on that fellas?

Not stealing Matty, just curious, sry carry on....;)

konarider94
02-28-2011, 12:15 PM
the 6th gear would be to lower the rpms at highway speeds. this would increase mpg's which would be cool. it just gets old cruising down the road at 4k rpm. a 6th gear could increase the top speed if the bike did not become power limited

Miami78
02-28-2011, 12:18 PM
Miami,
U in a hurry or something??? LOL
Why...yes I am!:D

I would want it for less wear on the bike...cruising at lower rpms would also help with noise (although I have no problems with that currently) and mileage, which would be nice added bonuses.

onelogue
02-28-2011, 12:24 PM
I just emailed Baker asking if there were any 6 speed options for the xb's. Not expecting them to have an option but maybe an answer to this thread.

Miami78
02-28-2011, 12:26 PM
I asked them about a year ago, got a flat "no" in response.

BuddhaBuell
02-28-2011, 12:28 PM
^^
[up]

I'm just gonna put in some ear plugs and try to focus on the scenery haha.

My D&D is loud as fu*k and after trying to listen to tunes (LMAO) I decided to use ear plugs all the time unless I was blasting around town, now that we've moved out into the middle of nowhere, the ear plugs will be in all the time..
[smirk]

onelogue
02-28-2011, 12:42 PM
I asked them about a year ago, got a flat "no" in response.

Oh dang really! I cant see why they wont since most of the profit is in the newer bikes. [confused]

Miami78
02-28-2011, 01:04 PM
Yeah, probably something about having to split the case makes them think it's too difficult a task that very few would want to do it, therefore not something they would make money from developing.

loose1
02-28-2011, 02:30 PM
The problem is there isn't enough room for all the gears in an "stock" xb case. On the tubers and HD's they have a trap door. The trap door is re-leaved and one of the gears is sunk in to it. There isn't enough room for the extra gear; but I'm trying to work on a solution, for my bike anyways.
Matt

mc4life27
02-28-2011, 02:34 PM
I did see a conversion some where for the xb. let me see if i can dig it up. if i remember correctly the price was something stupid high like 4k or something. let me see what i can find.

mc4life27
02-28-2011, 09:50 PM
well im sorry guys but i cant seem to find it. I thought i saw it through a post on badweb but i cant find it.

jakestolar
04-18-2011, 02:27 PM
it is a bummer, 6 speed is really the way to go...

upthemaiden
04-18-2011, 02:51 PM
Upthe,
So the Hawk will get to ur ears? Most of my drive time is highway (600-700) miles a week. I have read that most other pipes are even louder. I cant imagine doing 5hrs a week with my ears ringing. I have also heard that there is a quiet version of the Hawk. Any ideas on that fellas?

Didn't check up on this after I posted! The hawk definitely gets to my ears. I guess I'm slowly getting used to it, but without ear plugs my ears will tingle a little after I'm on the bike for more than 15 minutes or so. It's not as bad with ear plugs, but still. He does make a quiet version, but form what I gather it's still pretty loud.