PDA

View Full Version : gasket spitting head

fearnoroad
02-23-2007, 06:00 AM
hi guys .wondering if any of you can help me here,out on my bike last weekend and the head gasket blew clean out the side.ive only done 150 miles since that head was rebuilt after it spat the spark plug out,ive been told if you put a head back together you run the engine until hot then let it cool,drop the engine again and re check all head bolts .this wasnt done and ive never heard of this bein done so can anyone confirm,many thanks danny

BuellPartsGuy
02-23-2007, 08:09 AM
That is true. It allows for proper seating of the head gasket and insures proper torque of the headbolts. I would take it back to place who did it and want a free fix job.

2Evil4U
02-23-2007, 12:29 PM
x2. It soesn't sound like the guy used a torque wrench. And with aluminum heads and iron jugs, the re-torque is much more necessary.

fearnoroad
02-23-2007, 04:23 PM
ok guys thanx alot.shall pay the man a visit i think.

azsnow
02-23-2007, 07:34 PM
Also be aware that there is an updated torque sequence for all evo style motors. My uncle was having the same problem untill I sent him a copy of the service bulletin. After the retorque job, problem free!

buellinoz
04-21-2007, 10:51 PM
Guys my '05 xb12r just blew the front pot head gasket, after months of pinging, which even the dealer couldn't fix. Its out of warranty, so guess i'll have to do it. Anyone have the torque specs handy??

fearnoroad
04-25-2007, 07:34 PM
ok this is gana be a long one as there is a certain sequence to doin these head bolts up.if engine is in front of you with spark plugs on the side thats nearest you,call the bolt on the left nearest you number 1,then to the right nearest you number 2.the bolt on the left furthest away is number 3,then theres number 4 on the right furthest away.start with number 1 increasing in numerical sequence.tighten bolts to 11-14nm.then tighten bolts to 18-20nm,then loosen all bolts,then re tighten bolts in order firstly to 11-14nm then 18-20nm.now you mark the cylinder head and the bolt head with a mark.now tighten all head bolts another 1/4 of a turn.dont know if you need rocker cover torques or not let me no,