PDA

View Full Version : Starting my first Buell

architech
05-14-2008, 04:32 PM
Hey guys. Just had my 04 XB12s delivered and I just wanted to run this by you veterans: when I start it, after the fuel pump stops, it turns over once - then stops for a second or two, and then continues to turn over until it starts. Is this normal? I previously had a GSXR which was not like that (although a completely different animal).

BuellPartsGuy
05-14-2008, 04:53 PM
Normal. Only thing I might test would be the battery.

LeFox
05-14-2008, 08:13 PM
yea, alot of buell have that...your gsxr is not a twin 1200 ;)

check you batt, look if there's any powerdrainers...if not, then all is ok.

have fun with the bike :D

architech
05-14-2008, 08:17 PM
Thanks!
As you said LeFox... this is quite different (in a good way).

xbhooligan434
05-15-2008, 04:54 AM
mine does it too
if i dont leave it on the tender it wont start

LeFox
05-15-2008, 09:22 AM
if i dont leave it on the tender it wont start
what timespan are we talking about here?
if you mean a few months, yea...but not in a few days

if you leave it without a tender and it doesn't start after a few days, then either your battery isn't 100% or something is draining it.

mrdozer2you
05-15-2008, 12:36 PM
if you leave it without a tender and it doesn't start after a few days, then either your battery isn't 100% or something is draining it.

Yeah....be especially careful when locking the bars. If you go past the lock spot you turn on the accesory which runs your cluster and parking light ( our US models dont come with a bulb ). This is very hard to notice...especially during the day, and will drain your battery. I found this out the hard way, left work and dead battery :p

architech
05-15-2008, 12:49 PM
Yeah. The battery appears to be ok, because after the 2 second pause it turns quick and right up. So i hold the starter, makes one turn over, 2 second pause and then continues to turn until it starts up. I was a little concerned because i watch a bunch of YouTube videos and they all their starters just turned continuously until ignition. Maybe i can post a viedo you guys can look at an advise. Also - where is the battery on the XB12s? Dont have an owners manual and i'm guessing under the seat but i dont even know how to get that off.

His_and_Her_Buells
05-15-2008, 02:27 PM
Keylock is on the left side just below the rail. Easiest way that I've found is to turn the key and hold it then slam the heel of your left hand (striking it where you sit) down and toward the rear of the bike to jar the seat loose. It can be tricky.

I also get that hesitation at startup if the battery isn't 100%. Especially if the engine is close to the compression stroke. The starter doesn't have the momentum to get past that first compression. My theory anyway.

xbhooligan434
05-15-2008, 03:30 PM
that is true i dont think my batery is 100% but it starts and runs fine most of the time
:p

architech
05-18-2008, 07:40 PM
ok. i just posted a video of this on youtube. Unfortunately, as Murphy's Law would have it, when I recorded this it worked almost perfectly. Generally the pause between the first crank and continuing is a second or 2 longer. Note that all lights and even clock go out during that period. Thanks!

null (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30D_xOjzwKk)

LeFox
05-19-2008, 08:22 AM
Note that all lights and even clock go out during that period. Thanks!
battery has insufficient power ;)

architech
05-19-2008, 10:46 PM
wierd. That was my initial thought as well, so i connected my charger directly to the bike and still the same thing. Whats strange also is that (didnt happen when i shot this vid) when it does start up the gauge needles go all the way to end and back, as when you first power on. Just got this thing less than a week ago and i'm hoping i didnt buy a lemon. On a side note, HD is going to hit me for $390 to replace my rear tire with the DiabloT - i am getting ripped off here? 1.5 hours of labor?

markwoodlief
05-20-2008, 02:48 AM
Take your rim off yourself, with the service manual youll see its not tough, throw the rim in your vehicle and drive it in, then you only pay 25-50 bucks depending on where you go..

1.5 hours is alloted for the service department to talk **** because you have a buell and not a harley, have coffe, a smoke, check their email, then mount your tire.. :)

LeFox
05-20-2008, 08:02 AM
battery has insufficient power ;)
you could also try to remove & clean your connectors.
but this is probably not the cause.

a charger does not supply enough power for a bike to start up, especially with the compression a 1200 twin has.
depending on how close to compression you are the bike will start easier or not.

try measuring the voltage normal & when starting.

architech
05-20-2008, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the valuable advice. I am thinking my best bet is to shell out for a new battery. Sounds like it very well might be the cause, and a new one can't hurt to have. I see that when i shut it down after some slow riding, the fan stays on for a while- which concerns me about leaving me stranded one day if it were to drain by batt. Back to make another donation to HD. :)

LeFox
05-20-2008, 08:06 PM
would check the voltage 1st though, if the battery is still good, there's no use in buying a new one [smirk]

adamsxb12s
06-24-2008, 06:47 PM
my xb12s does the same thing but if you ever get a chance to hear a big harley motor crank, its sounds normal...thats alot of compression for a lil starter..:D