PDA

View Full Version : The regulator i have on order to actully fix the 1125 charge system

RT Performance
03-15-2011, 10:31 PM
http://roadstercycle.com/Shindengen%20FH012AA%20Regulator%20upgrade%20kit.h tm

These have been popular with other bikes with the eltrical Demons.

Blackflash has tested his and it stays nice and cool.
will be pulling my stator and shipping it to custom rewind.

I hate to spend my hard earned $$$ on a bike with warrenty but i want to trust this thing and this apears to be a permant fix.
My stator made it 10,000 miles but the regulator took a crap at 4000 so i just want to do this before weather gets good.

IF you guys are intersted i will do a DIY and try and get some video.

jimijeans
03-15-2011, 11:00 PM
Dang man, Not many miles, I guess necessity is the Mother of invention. I've made some changes on many bikes over the years so as to make a part last longer. My neighbor has a 2010 HD trike 4,688.00miles and his Regulator went out. Then the reverse motor went out also! Looking forward to the video .

Loki
03-15-2011, 11:08 PM
Whats this do? Just charge your battery better?

stellio78
03-15-2011, 11:27 PM
Looks interesting, I'm sure a DIY will help others out.
Would guys with XBs use one of these or just stick with the OEM one?

RT Performance
03-15-2011, 11:29 PM
the regulator should keep the stator from over heating.
I am a Ase auto tech for those of you who don't know.
Bike charging systems work a little differn't than cars but most principles are the same.

The stator make ac voltage the higher the rpm the more it makes.

This is sent to the voltage reglator wich converts this to DC voltage and sends the correct amount 13-14 volts to the battery to charge.

The rest is basically transferd into heat as it is ground to the chassi.(sort of choking of the excessive voltage creates heat just like if you cup your hand over a lighter it is hotter than a hand flat).

I belive the voltage regulator can not handle the load of the stator wich is why they are over heating.

When the stator over heats it causes the insulaation to crack and this is when the stator fails.
the stator is just bare copper windings.without insultion it has the rotor and engine case to arch agianst.
Custom remind is using a heavy duty mil spec instlation wich is more heat resitant.

My thought is 300 dollar and a weeks time to get the stuff now while it is still cold is way better than the 3 months while stators are on back order from h-d agian. Not to mention most my riding occurs 900 miles from home 1 week at a time.

The recal relay is just away to lesson the load on the voltage regulator it turns off 1 leg and they still Fail.
Knowing hd could care less about Buell's and have no r/d bikes or real tech deptment that even understand Rotax's

RT Performance
03-15-2011, 11:37 PM
Looks interesting, I'm sure a DIY will help others out.
Would guys with XBs use one of these or just stick with the OEM one?
you could but the xb's rarely fail.
Alot to do with it is mounted out front where it gets lots of air.
There is somtimes connecotor issues on the xb but they where changed over in 05 i think to a new connector wich seems to hold up

boreas
03-16-2011, 01:37 PM
[up][up] on the DYI stator and regulator

gtaylor
05-14-2011, 01:28 AM
I found out about the charging issues the had way. I've included a photo of my burnt stator. I finished the new VR ($120) install and will get the stator rewound at custom rewind ($140). Still cheaper than a new stator ($740)
http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/tt121/gtaylor817/P1010214.jpg

bfletcher
05-14-2011, 02:27 AM
RT, would it be cheaper to have the custom rewind insulation put on before the stator fails?

RT Performance
05-14-2011, 09:38 AM
I doubt it they have to strip and clean the whole thing and use a larger gauge wire.
Mine wasn't cooked when I sent it in.

Mike Van V
05-16-2011, 11:46 AM
RT Perf -

Mostly correct..!
The wire strand DOES..have insulation, or it would never work at all. It would just be a direct short to the stator core/stator cover/engine case/frame/battery.

But...the wire's original insulation is very light and even with the original epoxy overcoating, its not up to the task with the heat put out.

I haven't had to use my Custom Rewind stator yet, sitting on the shelf and waiting its turn...!

Mike

Puzzled
05-16-2011, 12:29 PM
Will the VR be a direct replacement or will mods be required?

IYO if the VR were replaced prior to the stator burning out would this extend the life of the stator?

migs16
06-01-2011, 04:58 PM
some one answer puzzled's question. from the looks of all of it i think if you just replace the VR then why would you have to replace the stator. is there a bigger VR that can handle the output??

RT Performance
06-01-2011, 05:16 PM
I think there is a good probilty that a better Voltage regulator will extand the life of a non damaged stator.
I can't back it up it is my thoery the charging problem is a undersized VR cause excessive stator heat.
For those looking at the compufire.
They are jacking around a guy who bought one and it failed with in 5 miles.....
I have 1500 miles on the rewind and vr all is working well.
I reccomend you buy the weather pack connector kit wich will require soildering and install a larger gauge battery feed.
FYI i popped a 20 amp fuse on the battery feed definetly need a 30 amp.

Link to the VR install

http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Do-It-Yourself-Buell-Mods/1125r-Voltage-regulator-upgradereplacment

OCrushXB9R
07-01-2013, 10:23 PM
Do you have a long term review of the FH012AA? Did you keep the stator harness with it?

I just ask because I'm looking at going to the FH020AA VR. Thanks.

RT Performance
08-27-2013, 06:22 PM
I actually burned up 2 more stators and traded the bike in.
Not sure if the oil hole actually fixed the over heat.I was running out of warranty and ebr hadn't released the oil whole stator mod and upgraded to something more reliable