PDA

View Full Version : Front Rotor done for?! And shout out!

snareman96
03-21-2011, 04:47 AM
Ok when for a really ****ty ride yesterday with a huge group of riders, and notice a vibrating/pulsating sensation when I use the front break MOSTLY when I carry a passenger. Is this the only sign that the rotor is warped? My bike is an '09 and only has 7700 miles on it! Also, if it is any other aftermarket brand rotor out there besides Galfer since they don't make them anymore (that's what my friend at cycle gear told me).

(SHOUT OUT!!!)
Also, TWISTED hit 30,000 miles on his '08 12r yesterday!

kyle_dewald
03-21-2011, 05:12 AM
It could be warped, but if it is the front end will shake when you apply the front brake. Try cleaning the rotor and check your pads. There could be an uneven glazing on the rotor causing it.

WALLSXB
03-21-2011, 05:36 AM
Ok when for a really ****ty ride yesterday with a huge group of riders

What happened little buddy ???????

snareman96
03-21-2011, 11:04 AM
talk with you later about it!

nilla
03-21-2011, 11:13 AM
your rotor is probably fine. try cleaning it up, and maybe change your brake pads

rrh481
03-21-2011, 11:20 AM
This happened to me and a few other people I know. We took simple green and a scuff pad and with a little elbow grease and 20 min your braking feels like butter.

upthemaiden
03-21-2011, 11:32 AM
I've got about 1000 less miles than you and mine does the same thing. Check and make sure your stem bearings are adjusted tight enough. You could get a little chatter if they're not. I can tell mine is the brakes and not the bearings though because I can feel them pulse when I'm going 5mph in traffic and just grab the brakes lightly with 1 finger. I tried getting mine with a scotch brite pad and didn't notice any difference but I didn't have simple green with me and I didn't go at it too long, sun was going down so I gave them a quick rubdown and went on my way.

rrh481
03-21-2011, 11:36 AM
Ya if you rub the **** out of them it will take all the residue off

bajabomber87
03-21-2011, 12:53 PM
Send it to jobe to polish it.

But Seriously, you can warp a rotor within the first 5 miles on a brand new bike, just happens when they are used and abused.

WALLSXB
03-21-2011, 01:09 PM

Bingo [up]

snareman96
03-22-2011, 05:02 AM
@WALLZ WTF?!?!?!

snareman96
03-22-2011, 05:04 AM
OH YEAH, BTW!!! Sunday we're doing the Maypearl ride again with Mark. Should be just the same ole' peeps that we ride with. Free Food!!! Need a patch for my torn jacket too!

RDuncan
03-22-2011, 10:55 AM
Had the same problem with my 9R too, and did what you guys said with SG and Scoth Brite pad and good as new. Thanks guys.

Jobe Zeebuh
03-22-2011, 01:34 PM

you could send it to me.... I will check to see if it is warped or if it just needs to be cleaned and polished. :D

I have heard good things about this simple green as well. Probably would work best if you did it on the pads as well as the rotors with a scotch pad.
Before
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/8587_20110214121818_L.jpg
After
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/8587_20110225105744_L.jpg

Baja is correct about warping the rotors. I would say endos is cause the most warp-age from stunters.

bajabomber87
03-22-2011, 03:03 PM
How would you check it for trueness Jobe? Do you have a machined slab or a truing rig?

I would think slowing as fast as possible at speed would warp the rotor more than doing some stunts at less than 20mph [confused]

Jobe Zeebuh
03-22-2011, 03:33 PM
I am talking speed endo's. Basically slamming the front's. Not slow speed ones.

How would you check it for trueness Jobe?

I have a laser beam for an eye! Just like Dr. Evils sharks! LOL! For real tho I do use a laser.

dave_xb12r
03-22-2011, 03:34 PM
How would you check it for trueness Jobe? Do you have a machined slab or a truing rig?

I can guarantee that he wouldn't find the warped spot. I set mine on a glass table and it sat flat, so how jobe could tell is beyond me. Not trying to hate, I'm just saying... unless you mount the rotor, ride it to set it in place, put the front on a stand, mount a dial gauge to the stand and actually measure it while it's spinning, you're not going to notice the warp even on a flat surface. Brake are serious business and I'll leave that work up to the professionals.

Jobe Zeebuh
03-22-2011, 03:40 PM
I am a professional. I use a micrometer, laser and a measuring device.

World English Dictionary
professional (prəˈfɛʃən ə l)

— adj
1. of, relating to, suitable for, or engaged in as a profession
2. engaging in an activity for gain or as a means of livelihood
3. a. extremely competent in a job, etc
b. (of a piece of work or anything performed) produced with competence or skill
4. undertaken or performed for gain or by people who are paid

— n
5. a person who belongs to or engages in one of the professions
6. a person who engages for his livelihood in some activity also pursued by amateurs
7. a person who engages in an activity with great competence
8. an expert player of a game who gives instruction, esp to members of a club by whom he is hired.

To call me other the a professional...in my opinion is un-professional.

dave_xb12r
03-22-2011, 03:46 PM
I'm not having this conversation again.

mowgoli84
03-22-2011, 03:58 PM
what you need to do is somehow put it in a truing stand!

dave_xb12r
03-22-2011, 04:07 PM
This (http://www.denlorstools.com/home/dt1/page_1293_184/fowler_disc_brake_rotor_and_ball_joint_runout_gaug .html) is what you would need. There is really no other way. No lasers, no micrometers.

WALLSXB
03-22-2011, 04:08 PM
I'm not having this conversation again.

DEJA VU all over again HUH !?!?!

dave_xb12r
03-22-2011, 04:11 PM
Word. I love a good facepalm

mowgoli84
03-22-2011, 04:13 PM
Precisely dave!. ^ [up]

dave_xb12r
03-22-2011, 04:20 PM
Thanks mowgoli! I know this because I looked into it. I went to my superbike mechanic to see how the pros do it. Using the gauge isn't just a mount it up and put it against the rotor thing either. There is a very wrong way to do it. I know if I was to try it before inquiring, I would have done it the wrong way. Good thing I asked.

Jobe Zeebuh
03-22-2011, 06:27 PM
Blah blah blah! Here's ya go Dave. This is you.

QjYGL07DAjU

You haven't even see how I inspect the rotors. I just told you a few tools I use. Works for me. Thanks.

bajabomber87
03-22-2011, 06:58 PM
a micrometer

and a measuring device

one and the same? [confused]

Stevenc150
03-22-2011, 09:52 PM
... unless you mount the rotor, ride it to set it in place, put the front on a stand, mount a dial gauge to the stand and actually measure it while it's spinning, you're not going to notice the warp even on a flat surface.If you know what you're doing you will. A rotor (measured properly) will not Measure flat off the bike, and then be warped when mounted back on the bike - unless your wheel rotor mounts aren't right & need shimmed to compensate.

You could say the procedure you described is the only accurate way of determining the amount of warpage, but to say that's the only way to know if a rotor is warped at all is wrong. Never will you measure a rotor warped on the bike and pull it off only to find it measuring flat unless you're doing something wrong, or your mounts on the wheel are off.

dave_xb12r
03-22-2011, 10:01 PM
If you know what you're doing you will. A rotor (measured properly) will not Measure flat off the bike, and then be warped when mounted back on the bike - unless your wheel rotor mounts aren't right & need shimmed to compensate.

You're not going to measure on a flat surface unless you have a custom built jig to mount up the rotor and rotate it. A flat surface alone won't tell you much. I know.. I've tried. Therefor, you must revert back to my previously mentioned method.

Stevenc150
03-22-2011, 10:36 PM
If you set the rotor on a flat surface with a dial gauge on it set to 0 anywhere on the rotor. Without rotating the rotor, push down around the perimeter of the rotor, all the way around, at 30 or 45 degree increments keeping your eye on the dial. If it moves from 0 (rocking), it's warped. If it stays at 0 while you're doing this it's flat with the surface - as in not warped. Now, when you mount it, it should also be flat (not warped) unless the wheel rotor mounts are off and need shimmed until it measures flat.

I do parrallelism/flatness checks on stuff exactly like this frequently. It's a standard quality control check method used in the automotive & machining industry. A jig is definitely more user friendly, but you can accurately check for warpage on a flat surface if your know what you're doing.

bajabomber87
03-22-2011, 10:49 PM
Who even has a machined flat surface to measure off of??

Stevenc150
03-23-2011, 11:56 AM
Who has a jig or even a dial to measure mounted on the bike? Any company big enough to have a Quality lab or Machine shop that does surface grinding - both are guaranteed to have either a honed Granite surface plate or an old Steel surface table to take accurate measurements. Most are happy to measure it for you for nothing.

Edit: Didn't mean for it to turn into a pissing contest. But it's like me arguing with Dave over building web pages or High res. settings on a camera....it's right up my alley.

RT Performance
03-23-2011, 01:14 PM
d: 22 Mar 2011 17:49 [?]

Currently Offline
[?] User Rank: Lieutenant General

Who even has a machined flat surface to measure off of??

I have a micrometer, 30" straight edge and a dial indacator but lets see it is a 09 is it out of the 2 year warrenty?
if not go to dealer get free rotor i did last year.

dave_xb12r
03-23-2011, 01:27 PM
You got a free rotor? Lucky! I bought mine with a warped rotor and they wouldn't replace it.

Yes steven you are right, there companies that have the equipment that can do that and it is possible to use a flat surface or course. It's just not easy for most bike shops and race teams to do it that way, which is why most use the method I mentioned. I'm sure RT has the tool kit I linked. He's probably done it many times.

WALLSXB
03-23-2011, 02:12 PM
if not go to dealer get free rotor i did last year.
Are you serious ? Hell, they won't even replace my muffler that's rusting on my 09 SS with 7000 miles ! Good luck getting warranty to replace anything.

Mikebuell413
07-21-2014, 06:17 AM
I guess I'll try the simple green fix. If not...I'll let the pros handle it.