PDA

View Full Version : HEADLIGHT HELP

WULFGODSXB
05-25-2008, 01:03 AM
I JUST GOT LEFT OVER 07 ULY. I WAS WONDERING IF ANY BODY KNOWS HOW TO BY PASS OR REPLACE RELAY SO THAT WHEN U KICK H-BEAM ON BOTH LIGHTS STAY ON????? ONE LIGHT ON AT A TIME DRIVES ME NUTS....[confused]

BuellPartsGuy
06-07-2008, 03:55 AM
You will have to re-wire the headlights.

WULFGODSXB
06-08-2008, 01:27 AM
NO WAY TO CHEAT IT BY JUMPING RELAY OR BY PASSING IT????[confused]

GatorBuell
06-08-2008, 01:38 AM
Yep, you can, I just did mine a month ago and it works great. I will gather the info and post it up.

GatorBuell
06-08-2008, 02:04 AM
Ok.
First you will have to remove your windshield and plastic from the headlight bucket of the bike.

Then find the socket for the headlight harness. Its white and has 4 wires in it- black, white, yellow and brownish/yellow.

Unplug the socket, (you will be working on the male end of the socket.) On the back side of the socket (the end with the wires running into it) there is a clip on the plug itself that holds the wires in. unclasp it from one end and fold it open.

The black is a ground, the yellow is low beam, white is high beam, and brown/yellow is for the running light. You are going to switch the yellow with the brown/yellow wires in the harness If the colors are different than swap the two that are not white or black.

To do this use a small pointed object (I used a very very small Philips screwdriver the kind used to fix eyeglasses and small projects) stick it in the male end forcing the wire out, you may have to tug on the wire some wile pushing to get them out. It was a little difficult to get them out but not impossible to do so.

Swap the wires (yellow to yellow/brown) plug it up and test the lights. [up]

WULFGODSXB
06-12-2008, 01:53 AM
thank's for the info hope to get time to try it soon[up][up]

FIDOSOL
07-11-2008, 11:26 PM
yAy Gator, thank you....woohooo, now everyone can see me!!!!http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/1642_20080711162432_L.jpg

His_and_Her_Buells
07-11-2008, 11:50 PM
The best safety mod you can do. I think every XB owner should do this as our headlights aren't exactly that great. I've been riding this way, on brights all the time for almost 3k miles and haven't had anyone flash me, even at night.

GatorBuell
07-11-2008, 11:56 PM
[up] If I ever get around to it I going to run the H4 bulbs also, should make it even better.

Bill
07-12-2008, 12:08 AM
The HID mod for these is easy, not too expensive and really improved the lights...http://www.xenonlink.com/product_info.php?cPath=30_42&products_id=65 (null) is where I got mine.

06xb9r
07-12-2008, 05:20 AM
I have an '06 Firebolt. When I have the high beam switch on, both lights are on. Did they change this in '07?

mrdozer2you
07-12-2008, 01:01 PM
When I have the high beam switch on, both lights are on. Did they change this in '07?

This is what I want to do....will the wire mod above do this or does it just make both lights the running lights? I want 1 light as my running light and at night have both :D

FIDOSOL
07-12-2008, 01:12 PM
Hey dozer if you do the mod just like it's written, you will have your running light (just one) all the time. When you hit your highbeams it will look like my bike's pic. Hope that answers your question.

GatorBuell
07-12-2008, 01:16 PM
I have an '06 Firebolt. When I have the high beam switch on, both lights are on. Did they change this in '07? I believe the European models come stock like that now, but no the US models still come one or the other.

This is what I want to do....will the wire mod above do this or does it just make both lights the running lights? I want 1 light as my running light and at night have both Yes this mod will allow you to run the low beam only during the day and when you switch on the high beams both lights will be on.

06xb9r
07-12-2008, 01:36 PM
My bike is a US model though, and I bought it new...no mods to the headlight wiring and both lights are on with the high beam

FIDOSOL
07-12-2008, 01:39 PM
Factory Foul-Up? I dunno...

1SexyBuell
07-12-2008, 07:04 PM
Factory Foul-Up? I dunno...
no my 07 firebolt (USA - NJ) has both headlights on when I turn the high beams on...

Devlsmurf
07-12-2008, 07:22 PM
I've got an 08 XB12R and both of mine stay on when I go to high beams.

FIDOSOL
07-12-2008, 07:28 PM
Seems to me that just the S's are the ones with only one headlight at a time then, maybe the Uly as well, I wonder why that is...

speedkills
07-12-2008, 07:52 PM
Possibly dumb question:

Will this Mod affect my warranty?
If/when I go in for service should I reverse the mod first?

FIDOSOL
07-12-2008, 07:55 PM
I don't think it should matter, but it might affect warranty if your headlight goes out... I wouldn't worry about it for services unless the headlights will be messed with during services...

GatorBuell
07-12-2008, 08:58 PM
If its comes from the factory with both lights on it should not matter if you change it.

speedkills
07-12-2008, 10:20 PM
OK.

I just did this following GatorBuell's instructions...and it was easy and worked perfectly!!

Low beam = 1 light only
High beam = both lights

When running in low beam the "trigger" that momentarily switches to high beam still works, but now both lights are on when the "trigger" is pulled.

Here's some pics that follow along with his instructions:

Then find the socket for the headlight harness. Its
white and has 4 wires in it- black, white, yellow and brownish/yellow.
****Mine was Black, white, yellow, orange****
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l144/speedkills66/buell/DSC01681.jpg

Unplug the socket, (you will be working on the male end of the socket.)

On the back side of the socket (the end with the wires running into it) there is a clip on the plug itself that holds the wires in. unclasp it from one end and fold it open.
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l144/speedkills66/buell/DSC01683.jpg

The black is a ground, the yellow is low beam, white is high beam, and brown/yellow is for the running light. You are going to switch the yellow with the brown/yellow wires in the harness If the colors are different than swap the two that are not white or black.

To do this use a small pointed object (I used a very very small Philips screwdriver the kind used to fix eyeglasses and small projects) stick it in the male end forcing the wire out, you may have to tug on the wire some wile pushing to get them out. It was a little difficult to get them out but not impossible to do so.

Swap the wires (yellow to yellow/brown) plug it up and test the lights

****This is after the wires were swapped****
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l144/speedkills66/buell/DSC01684.jpg

Here are the finished pics:

LOW BEAM
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l144/speedkills66/buell/DSC01689.jpg

HIGH BEAM
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l144/speedkills66/buell/DSC01690.jpg

His_and_Her_Buells
07-12-2008, 10:37 PM
When running in low beam the "trigger" that momentarily switches to high beam still works, but now both lights are on when the "trigger" is pulled.

I'm pretty sure the "flash to pass" trigger always worked this way.

Devlsmurf
07-12-2008, 11:54 PM
I don't need to use it, but that was an outstanding write up! [cool]

speedkills
07-12-2008, 11:58 PM
Quote:

I'm pretty sure the "flash to pass" trigger always worked this way.

I cant remember for sure - but I think mine went from low to high - only one bulb either way.

No matter.

Thanks GatorBuell!!!

blackedout
07-13-2008, 02:04 AM
Awesome. I was just wondering how I might be able to do this. I will switch the wire tomorrow. Thanks for the write up.[up]

mrdozer2you
07-16-2008, 12:31 PM
I dont like to knock someones mod so please dont take this the wrong way.

I tried this last night, not gonna work for me :( These connectors are next to impossible to re-use. You will either destroy the wire ( like I did ) or the connector. By prying out the wire you "WILL" destroy something.

The wiring idea is great [up] :D just the method is wrong. I am going to track down a new male fitting for the socket, cut the wires, and install it cleanly. I think this is a better way, especially for a novice. When I find the part, where I got it, and the cost I will post it up ;)

***Again, not knocking the thread, I dont want anyone to think that. Im pretty novice to electrical and appreciate knowing which wires needed to be swapped. ***

LeFox
07-16-2008, 12:56 PM
gator, was wondering if you could post this in the DIY forum

just copy/paste your explanation, add the pictures…
i’ll gladly give you a [up] vote for your troubles :D

speedkills
07-16-2008, 02:03 PM
mrdozer,
sorry to hear that you had difficulty, but it really should be possible to do without destroying the plug or the wires.

The wires are not "pried" out really. There is a small prong that holds the wires in place and with a small pointy object and patience you can depress the prong and pull the wire out of the socket quite easily.

I wish I had a picture of that to add so that no one else has the same issues.

Perhaps this mod is not for novices to wiring.
I have a background as a mechanic and maybe that helped.

Cheers.

mrdozer2you
07-16-2008, 03:00 PM
I wish I had a picture of that to add so that no one else has the same issues.

Would be awesome [up] Because it looks to me like it pinches the wire from all sides. I know I can get it out, i'm afraid that once I swap the wires they wont stay. Or worse break the copper off in the fitting. I'll see what I can find as far as a new male plug, then its just a matter of cut, strip, stick :)

GatorBuell
07-16-2008, 09:20 PM
gator, was wondering if you could post this in the DIY forum

just copy/paste your explanation, add the pictures…
i’ll gladly give you a vote for your troubles

Yea I can but Speedkills did the pictures write up it just did the quick explain.

Speed- could you repost your write up In the DIY with pics and all.

speedkills
07-16-2008, 09:41 PM
I can and will.

PDXBuell
07-17-2008, 06:51 AM
There is a good explanation on how to remove the wires from the connector in the back of the Buell service manual or you can google “AMP multilock connector wire removal” and look for the hit titled “CHARGING SYSTEM” scroll down to page 7-48. I hate to post a link here to a different Buell web site:( so I won't