PDA

View Full Version : Bad connection with front and rear right turn signal lights

rnpls
03-24-2011, 08:31 PM
I dont have a wiring diagram for my XB12x. When I steer to the right the turn signals loose connection. Help!

Stevenc150
03-24-2011, 08:56 PM
Check the main harnass wires that run up through the steering head (neck) of the bike. Things get real tight in that area. Wiggle the wires around there and you should be able to find which one is starting to pull out of the connector.

rnpls
03-25-2011, 08:37 PM
Thanks...looks like the ground is loose but hard to get to..two ground wires off the main and one looks worn.

Rays
03-29-2011, 04:10 AM
There are 4 ground wires on the headstock of the Uly:

1. Horn
2. Headlight
3. Blinker Relay
4. Front Aux power connector

When the ground broke on my '06 it effected both left and right blinker circuits (common ground to the relay).
The bad news is that Stevenc150 is probably right on the money. The RH blinker circuit had some nupty position a splice right where the loom does an 'S' bend on the original loom guide. Two inches higher and there would be no problem.

This is a picture of this splice (with the heatshrink cover removed)

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/5820_20110328214722_L.jpg

In my situation the wire going to the rear RH blinker was broken. The glue-lined heat-shrink holds the broken pieces together and movement of the handlebars allows a nice intermittent connection.

The three wires headed north go to the blinker switch, the instrument panel and the front RH blinker so you can see there are several combinations of failures depending on how the splice fails.

I moved this join a couple of inches closer to the instrument panel and then made another join well past the movement area.

To work in this area remove the 'beak' and headlight as an assembly (only 4 screws) and undo the friction tape from the bottom - nowhere near as bad as it seems.

BTW - the red wires spliced just behind the brown blinker wires is where the ignition switch and instrument 'keep alive' wires are spliced in an almost identical, stupid way. This also broke way back when and that caused the intermittent loss of the clock and tripmeter settings when the the handlebars were moved into the steering locked position.