PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Lightning XB9S Exhaust Question...

hgray14
05-27-2008, 03:48 AM
I just bought this bike and it came with a Jardine pipe. It is too freakin' loud and is blowing out my left ear. Does anyone know how many decibels the Jardine exhaust is, how many decibels the stock exhaust is and how many decibels the Buell racing exhaust is? I am trying to figure out whether to switch to the Buell racing exhaust or all the way back to stock.

I hate to lose any power but I am not willing to trade my hearing and at present I am riding with the same hearing protection I use when shooting my shotguns so I can't get any more protection.

thanks
Houston

LeFox
05-27-2008, 07:10 AM
jardine about 110db with baffle around 105db
stock around 80db
race should be around 90db

that's just on top of my head [smirk]

ctrucky
05-27-2008, 10:45 AM
HGRAV, On E-bay, right now for about the next 10 hours, there is a QMI(Quiet Module Insert) for the XB model Buell, it is running about $27, as we speak, but the auction ends in about 10 hours. It shows a package with a part number on it, so you should be able to contact a jardine dealer and purchase directly. Good luck!!!

hgray14
05-27-2008, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I actually already ordered one; it is suppose to bring it down to about 92-95 dbA. That is part of why I was trying to find out how load it is without the QMI to see if it is going to bring it into a reasonable range. Hopefully it is enough otherwise I guess I will try the race exhaust.

thanks again
Houston

dans03firebolt
05-28-2008, 06:49 PM
If you are still unhappy with it I will trade my Buell Race Muffler for your Jardine pipe. Just let me know after if you want to do that. I have an 03 XB9R but all the pipes are the same.

LeFox
05-28-2008, 08:05 PM
the baffle doesn't seem to quiet down the sound much, though...it only takes away some bass so it's not as heavy and thus less db ;)

Drazko
07-23-2008, 02:23 AM
hgray,
I have a stock exhaust and am looking for a race ecm. Let me know if you'd like to sell it.