PDA

View Full Version : Gas In Air Filter?

Buellme
05-27-2008, 04:55 AM
Just got a XB9R used with almost 9k on it..
was checking the air filter (stock) to see if it needed replacing.
when i removed the filter there was a thin/slight film of what i can only assume was fuel inside the filter area...

not 100% sure what you would call that area of the intake but i wiped it all out and ordered a new filter...

needless to say i've scheduled a check up on it with a nearby dealer later this week but i was wondering if anyone else has had a problem similar to this or if it is a common occurrence..

LeFox
05-27-2008, 07:14 AM
could be just vapour that had set since the bike stood there for some time. ;)

06xb9r
05-27-2008, 04:50 PM
probably oil from the crank breather

Buellme
05-27-2008, 08:04 PM
I see those are both possibilities but i dont turn that mean of a wrench on buells yet so i have to wait for the dealer guys to tell me what they think it is. but thanks alot for your input... i have another question for you now... after a few short rides of maybe 5 -10 miles in distance, after i turn the bike off there is a strange ticking noise... constant ticking. every time. i can not pin-point the exact location but again i was wondering if anyone had some input... because i have to drive it 60miles this weekend to the dealer and would hate for something to go wrong...

GatorBuell
05-27-2008, 08:41 PM
after i turn the bike off there is a strange ticking noise... constant ticking. every time. i can not pin-point the exact location but again i was wondering if anyone had some input... because i have to drive it 60miles this weekend to the dealer and would hate for something to go wrong...
Does the fan come on after you ride it, If its nice and hot the fan should turn on after you kill the motor. It sounds to me like is just cooling off. Mine ticks to for a while.

warhorse
05-28-2008, 07:43 AM
when when any motor, but more so with air cooled they will do that it is just the metal contracting. now i have a question for you...if you are going to just ask the dealer then why ask the people on here?

warhorse
05-28-2008, 08:10 AM
but you lets us know what the dealer says

be easy

LeFox
05-28-2008, 11:49 AM
It sounds to me like is just cooling off.
[up]

Buellme
05-28-2008, 03:37 PM
then why ask the people on here?

because i dont want to get messed with by the dealer i trust the ppl on here more than i do any dealer that i've never met.. this site is for ppl that care about there bikes. pLus i didnt' know most of the stuff ppl ^ posted so now i know the ticking is common and i wont make a big deal about it when i take it in...

Does the fan come on after you ride it,

No not anymore... but the temp has cooled about 10 degrees.. so maybe its cool enough out? im assuming it is cause this past friday it was warmer and i the fan did come on... my first thought when i heard the ticking was that the bike might be attempting to turn the fan on.. so i thought it might have been the fan but considering the temp it doesn't seem necessary.

Again thanks for all the help and i will tell you what the sealer dealer says after this weekend... and be sure i'll have lots more questions!:D