PDA

View Full Version : New here... New to Bikes... Just bought a blast!

KILLER
05-27-2008, 07:15 PM
Hey out there!

First off just want to say thanks for the space.. it's always good to find a specific forum for things you're interested in!

Now, I just bought and 02 Blast Saturday, it only has 6600 miles on it... I'm brand new to riding.. so I've only driven up and down the rd in my subdivision a couple times!! lol.. BUT I was told when I purchased that it had a weird idle, and that the carburettor needed to be cleaned out... or that it could be injectors...

What i'm noticing with this bike is that it kinda sputters when you first start it.. and if you're not constantly giving it some throttle it just flat dies...

any suggestions?? i'm a DIY'er and i've got the full manual that the "buell techs" would use (for lack of better terminology there)... Now like i said i'm completely new to bikes... so i don't know if there is something i can mix in with the gas to maybe clean everything up (kinda like in a car) or not.

anyways i'd really appreciate a little bit of insight on the matter!!!!

thanks again so much for the opportunity to post here!!!

GatorBuell
05-27-2008, 08:47 PM
Sounds like you got some tarnish in the fuel system from old gas. Open the cap and smell the gas a see if it has a weird smell to it. I use some stuff called SeaFoam on my Yamaha Rhino but I dont know how well of if you should use it on your Blast.
I would say drain your gas out and put some 93 octane in it and ride it around for a while if you have not already.

GatorBuell
05-27-2008, 08:50 PM
Oh ya congratulations on the Bike. My I suggest a beginners riders course, You will learn a lot and make you a better beginner. [up]

His_and_Her_Buells
05-28-2008, 02:01 PM
Check the rubber boot between the carb and intake. Very common to get cracks in them and the symptoms are exactly as you described. You should really take it off and check thouroghly as it can crack under the clamp and not be noticable. And congrats and have fun with it.

+1 on the MSF riders safety course. Indispensable knowledge to be found there.

warhorse
05-28-2008, 02:34 PM
wow i can hear the excitement in your voice and that makes me proud for you and well come to the family. when you start it up do you have to use the throttle or not. if you have to do that then it might just be you need a new plug.

be easy

KILLER
05-28-2008, 08:47 PM
Thanks everyone for the input!!!

I don't think it's old gas.. .but it is possible.. I will check that for sure...

Great, i'll check the "rubber boot" as well...

and last but not least... yes i do have to give it some throttle normally... BUT not every time... sometime she starts right up!!!

Another thing... Do any of you guys know how well a stock exhaust sounds on these bikes???

mine has an after market exhaust... It's pretty loud.. and in all honesty just doesn't have the tone or look i'm looking for.. so i'm thinking about going stock...

Anyways! thanks again for all the input.. i prolly won't have time to check this stuff tonight as i'm in the middle of moving.. but hopefully by the weekend i'll have her running great!!!

oh almost forgot... YES i am going to be taking a course.. i'm just trying to find the best one in my area.... good all around price/schedule and what not...

i'm in ATL GA if ya'll know of any!!!

KILLER
06-05-2008, 04:36 PM
i meant to post up days ago.. i fixed the problem.. and it in fact was the boot!!!

luckily i lived 5 min from a harley dealership... i went up the rd grabbed the boot.. and fixed it in about 2 minutes...

the previous owner had turned the throttle WAY up though... so i got that turned down... and now she runs beautifully!!! thanks again guys!!!!!

PatGib
09-24-2009, 07:09 PM
Super awesome, got a Blast the other day. Its so much fun. Definately runs WAY better on higher ocatane. Manual says 91 ocatane. I run 93 now, but I ran 87 when I first got it. THe previous owner says thats what he ran it on for 4700 miles. I put fuel treatment and cleaner to one tank and the difference was OUTSTANDING. I only run 93 now, and I use carb cleaner once a month. idles a bit faster now than it did on 87, but sounds way better.

Dragonslayer
09-25-2009, 02:52 AM
Welcome to BuellXB. Congrats on your bike.

Good posts. My wife's Blast has been doing some of that also. I'm gonna check the boot.

fahren
09-25-2009, 01:51 PM
If you are 5 minutes from a Harley dealer, try the Rider's EDge MSF course - they are taught on Blasts!!!

Same MSF basic info, you just have to put up with a little spiel from the Harley sales dudes, cuz they want you to end up "trading up" to a bike from their dealership. Does the d'ship sell Buells as well?