PDA

View Full Version : I'd like to buy an 08 Buell but.....

Jstallion
05-29-2008, 01:41 PM
Guys I'm really interested in buying a Buell but these posts seem to be a bit unnerving, esp since we all know there aren't alot of Buell riders out there compared to other riders. There just seems to be alot of electrical issues goin on here that I'm not too excited about. I'm a die hard V-twin guy, gotta have torque. Its gotta be a twin for me. I currently ride a 99 ducati supersport. However there isn't a competent mechaninc in the state of Ohio or anywhere near or in Columbus. Needless to say its over in Indanapolis getting fixed. So good, local service is a must for me at this point as well as a bike that will start for me everytime if I'm out in BFE. Not only that, I like to know that the mechanics(in this case Buell mechs) have alot of "brand" experience when working on bikes. When you can find a mech who knows all the 'qwerks' regarding your bike you take care of him! The reason I was looking at a Buell is because its different, looks bad ass and uses the high output 1200 engine.
However I'm seeing a fairly large amount of issues on these lightnings and honestly it makes me mad bc I really want one. Are these problems occuring moreso on bikes that are pre-06 and not the 07 & 08 models? I know twins run diff that inlines but some of these things I'm seeing shouldnt be happening and you guys shouldnt be paying out of pocket on warrrantied bikes. Someone throw me a bone here. I'm an inch away from buying a street bob bc I know mechs are more willing to help/troubleshoot & reliably fix/service an HD over a Buell.[confused]

dans03firebolt
05-29-2008, 01:48 PM
I have no idea what you are talking about when you say electrical issues. I have owned 2 Buells and I have never had a big problem with either of them.

Skip the mechanics and start to work on the bike yourself so you don't have to worry about paying the outrageous fee's they charge you at the dealership. I started doing that years ago I only have the dealer do things that I can't do myself or I have my personal friend who is a bike mechanic do it. Like Friday I am dropping the bike off for Fork Seals and new tires to be mounted and balanced. 2 things I am not comfortable doing.

Jstallion
05-29-2008, 01:56 PM
Electrical meaning ecm issues like shutting off, poor throttle,fuses blowing, gauges not working sputtering,etc......My bike is in indy because the dealer in cols actually screwed up the ecm and i'm seriously considering taking him to court. I do my own work on my Duke like chain, plugs, oil, etc. However opening up the engine is not on my list with that bike since its all metric and the manuals are impossible to understand.
I guess it would be nice to know if these problems are happening to bikes that have been properly serviced and taken care of.

what kind of engine work are you doing yourself on a reg basis?

His_and_Her_Buells
05-29-2008, 02:10 PM
Forums can sometimes be a bad source for comfort. That goes with all products. People don't usually post that they aren't having any problems and everything is going great. People often only get on to bitch and complain. While you are correct about most HD mechanics being more helpful with HD over Buells there are exceptions to the rules. However these bikes are simple enough that you don't really need them after the warranty is up. Since you do some wrenching on the Duc get a $60 service manual with the Buell and you can do everything ever required. If you're going to rely on dealerships for service I suggest talking to every Dealer within a reasonable distance and actually talk to their Buell tech and feel him out, see if he is a fanatic or just the one they picked to go to the Buell training course. Hope this helps. Screw the street bob get the Buell, the **** eatin' grin on your face every single time you ride it far out weighs the couple of frowns you may or may not have during your ownership.

Jstallion
05-29-2008, 02:24 PM
Well the thing for me is the electrical stuff Im seeing on here. I'm not to familiar with that aspect and it seems the mechs arent either. That creates a little worry for me if something goes up in smoke so to speak. I test rode the street bob and straight up moves for a cruiser. My uncle bought an 03 xb9 demo bike with race kit & pipe and I thought the bike was a complete dog compared to my ducati 900. I'd really like to demo the xb12 since the 900 didnt impress me all that much. Plus no dealer within a ten county radius has an 08 lightning on the floor, all the dealers have are an ocassional 1125r or a ulyesses.

dans03firebolt
05-29-2008, 04:58 PM
Stallion I have a 03 XB9R and I love it. Tons of power, hangs wheelies like it is nothing and has that power right from idle to 7000rpm. I wouldn't trade it for a 12 if someone wanted to. I like the higher revving motor.

I don't do internal motor work myself but I do all the service work that would take place at the HD dealer. They rip you for $300 just to change oil and plugs. It is a waste of money. My Bolt is getting dropped off tomorrow for tires and fork seals. I am not wanting to tear into the forks myself I leave that to the professionals same with mounting and balancing tires.

Again I have never seen any electrical issues with either my 01 Cyclone or this 03 Bolt that I have now and my friend has an 01 Lightning and never had a problem besides the rocker box gaskets. That is the only problem that has ever happened and both were covered by Harley.

GatorBuell
05-29-2008, 09:43 PM
I have 5K on my 12s and no problems what so ever.

Jstallion
05-30-2008, 12:06 PM
what year is your bike gator?

dans03firebolt
05-30-2008, 12:26 PM
Also Stallion my bike is pushing 10k miles on it with no problem at all except the Speed Sensor was bad when I bought it and the speedo didn't work. That cost $60 to fix and literally 2 minutes of my time to install it.

mrdozer2you
05-30-2008, 01:29 PM
That cost $60 to fix and literally 2 minutes of my time to install it.

Electrical problems are simple to fix....its mostly plug and play. The difficulty with electrical issues is usually in the troubleshooting :p

Jstallion
05-30-2008, 01:56 PM
dansfirebolt have you had any throttle issues like engine lag on acceleration?

dans03firebolt
05-30-2008, 03:12 PM
Not at all. The bike has full power all the time. It is so different than a jap bike and your Duc though. I know they are both Vtwin but one is 45 degree and one is 90 degree. Such different animals.

Jstallion
05-30-2008, 05:21 PM
Right i've ridden harleys before. So I know what to expect.I really need to demo one again but the pisser is no dealership around central ohio or NW ohio has any on the floor...makes me wonder.

dans03firebolt
05-30-2008, 06:21 PM
Come on out to Bike Week at Laconia and you can demo any bike you want. It definitely sucks to not have a dealer near you. I have 2 both within 20 minutes of me. Good luck on your venture I am sure you will be happy after you get that bike tuned up.

Jstallion
06-03-2008, 06:14 PM
Well I just got a call from a local dealer doing a search for me and apparently there is only one left in the state of ohio..so without committing to the bike bc i havent ridden one yet I declined and will either get something else or wait another yr for HD to start stocking their floors with some friggin bikes!!!

mrdozer2you
06-04-2008, 12:17 PM
[sad]

Try Michigan [up]

Jstallion
06-04-2008, 01:19 PM
Michigan!!!??.....never!!! Go Bucks!

mrdozer2you
06-04-2008, 08:13 PM
Michigan!!!??.....never!!! Go Bucks!

Why not, probably a safer bet to get a bike ridden by a Spartan or Wolverine rather than a Bucknut :p

Besides...a bukeye is just a hairless nut :D:D:D

Jstallion
06-11-2008, 02:19 PM
well us buckeyes are known for having big nuts...[cool]

burnteyes
06-11-2008, 05:01 PM
Go Mountaineers!!! But i had to go to lexington Ky to pick up my Xb12s.. About 115 miles from my house.. Or If Charelston WV isn't to far try the dealer there. I was At that dealer about a week ago and they had a 08 xb12r and a 1125r. Heres their number (304) 768-1600.