PDA

View Full Version : Radar Detectors (again)

Hummer
03-30-2011, 12:01 AM
Searched the site, read the opinions and questions but just looking for any recent updates (and for anyone feeling the need to express their belief that detectors don't work, don't bother!)

I see a lot of people happy with the mount they managed to fabricate for a standard detector - I've thought about this but up in SK, I could start out on a sunny day, hit huricane-force winds, ride through hail, buckets of water and be covered in snow by the time I get to somewhere to stop. Not a lot of bridges to hide under here and the only thing that will be consistent throughout all of that weather will be the half inch blanket of bug guts on every part of me and my 'bolt.

Anyways, I'm looking at two motorcycle-specific detectors. The Adaptiv TPX or the Whistler Cruisader. Who has one and what do you think? I've read the reviews but would rather have some first-hand knowledge. A local shop up here was telling me about a third option in the $700CDN range that ties into your throttle to cut speed upon detection. I can't find any information but I'm supposed to be hearing from the shop in the next few days.

We better get some warm weather soon. I'm itching to get on the bike so bad that I'm starting to buy anything with "Buell" or "motorcycle" in the description...

Hummer
04-11-2011, 12:02 PM
Alright - no replies on the detector front, but how about mounting. I don't want to mount to the bars. Our mirror studs aren't long enough for this (http://www.motorcycleradar.com/products_pg3_4.htm#Mstand), and I don't think the windshield screws would be strong enough either. It gave me an idea though.

Has anyone attempted to fab up a bracket to tuck the detector in and under the windshield? I'm thinking of something that hooks over the guages for stability but is held in place by clamping down to the fairing stay. Horrible paint skill here and I'll apologize to xtremelow for stealing his pic but it was the quickest find when I searched "buell cockpit"

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/6808_20110411055335_L.jpg

xtremelow
04-11-2011, 12:05 PM
Dave has one on his bike so maybe he will chime in on this one.

Hummer
04-11-2011, 12:19 PM
I took a look at his - it's connected to the handlebars though. I figure if I can find a way to tuck mine in behind the windshield it will take care of the bug/weather issue.

xtremelow
04-11-2011, 03:59 PM
What about a bracket from inner mirror to inner mirror bolt, that will give you what you want and not cover the gauges

mc4life27
04-11-2011, 04:17 PM
look into the k40 undetectable. im thinking about putting that on my bike

Hummer
04-11-2011, 04:55 PM
Haven't heard good things about K40 products; everything I've looked at tells me that V1 is still a safe bet, and Beltronics is jumping ahead of the competition by staying completely undetectable. The hidden laser jammer/radar detector combo is tempting, but for the cost I can afford to have 3 detectors fly off my bike before it's worthwhile.

xtremelow - that would make sense but I'm still thinking those mirror studs don't leave much room for an attachment. I guess if I used the thinnest piece of stock possible it may work. As far as covering the guages, my original idea would only really cover the tach and I really don't need to see that directly for most highway driving.