PDA

View Full Version : 1000 mile disservice (caution very long)

ulyscol
05-31-2008, 02:48 AM
Well after two weeks I got my bike back from its 1000 mile service. In addition to the service the clutch cable was to be replaced due to a problem in an earlier post. (cable contacted header and burnt)
About halfway home the clutch just did not feel right. I continued and when I got home started to check things out. When I pulled out the dipstick oil poured out of my swingarm. I mean poured!!! I called the dealer right away and told them about the overfilled oil and the clutch problem. The service guy claimed that synthetic oil does that sometimes and Harley has had this problem before. YES he really said that!!! What, the oil just magically doubles or triples in volume? Next he told me to check the oil with the bike upright instead of on its side stand because that may be whats causing the problem. This guy was full of crazy excuses. Next he claimed the clutch was supposed to feel wrong because thats how Buell makes a lighter clutch pull. Yes he really said that too.
If you are still with me it gets better, read on. After doing everything I could to remain calm the service guy offered to send a tech to my house. Now we were getting somewhere.
When the service tech showed up I greeted him kindly. The tech could not have been more helpful. He drained the oil to the proper level, then I had him ride the bike to experience the clutch for himself. When he got back I had a refreshing barley pop waiting for him (kill 'em with kindness). From the look on his face after he rode the bike you could tell he knew there was a problem. He then proceeded to fix the clutch in my garage. He said it was severely out of adjustment. I felt like telling him, "Don't tell me tell your boss back at the shop."
To make a very long story a little shorter the tech basically said whoever performed the 1000 mile service on my bike didn't do anything they were supposed to. They couldn't even get the oil change right. So he proceeded to give the bike a thorough once over. I guess at the end of the day they made it right, but man what a pain.
Lets just say I probably won't be taking my bike back to a dealer in Cleveland Ohio who has two of the cardinal directions in their name and those directions are not North and West.

LeFox
05-31-2008, 06:18 AM
if they try to tell you you have to check the oil in upright position, tell them to buy a buell service manual and read it!

hopefully the replaced the clutch-cable clip with the newer type one. the old ones tend to brake easier.

warhorse
05-31-2008, 11:30 AM
[confused] is it south and east[confused] so if i break down in cleveland ohio just keep pushin?

be easy

ulyscol
05-31-2008, 01:00 PM
Hey LeFox,
I almost forgot about that part. They just took a clutch cable clip off another bike on the floor. So hopefully that one is updated.

warhorse,
You got it!

His_and_Her_Buells
05-31-2008, 04:42 PM
Does the tech that made the housecall work at Southeast. If so I think I would still give them my business when necessary but only if he works on it. Other buell dealerships in your area may not even have someone as competent as him.

TMC
05-31-2008, 04:49 PM
Don't ever use Shreveport Harley Davidson and Buell if any one is down here they told me it was going to cost $400 to get my 1000 mile service.

stevensue
06-01-2008, 01:51 AM
I had the same oil overfill problem with the 1000 mile service. I Mighty-Vaced 13 ounces out. Called the dealer and complained. I asked how much oil does it take? Reply -- "3 qts, just like any sportster engine." So that could have been your problem. Conclusion -- Harley mechanics are [down] Yes, I do all my own maintenance now :D

mrdozer2you
06-02-2008, 04:53 PM
"3 qts, just like any sportster engine."

Remember, 3qts when it is COMPLETELY dry. How often does a person drain the ENTIRE engine when changing the oil. Answer----you dont!!! Im very suprised that the techs didnt know this, it doesnt matter the bike or engine. It takes a certain amount of oil initially (1st) then less after that. Actually for ours about 2.5-2.75 qts. I mean FFS if a manual says 5qts, there is no way in hell it will take a full 5 on a change...unless they plan on dis-assembling the engine and swabbing all the oil out. :p

riding_tall
06-03-2008, 03:03 AM
been through similar c$%p as ulyscol but with bad car dealers in the past. seems I got lucky and found a good dealer right off the bat for my bike. I live in Atlanta and have been dealing with stone mountain HD. I've got to say I've been pleased so far. Went in an the end of 06 to look at a Uly and the sales person took time and talked to me, went and talked to the part's counter and he was a buell rider. I was impressed with both the bike and the dealer. Started saving my $$ for a Uly. Just got a great deal on a used 06 Uly with only 3000 miles on it. Just took it in and had the 5k service done early and had them check the bike out, make sure all the recall's ect had been done. While I was there I was looking at the tank bag's. Decided they were to $$ for now and the tec said .. say I have a shoulder bag at my house that buell was handing out last year .. I'll give it to you when you bring the bike in. Sure nuff. As I was piking up the bike he walked out to my truck and gave me the bag !! It seems's the service was done correctly too. I'm quick to point out a bad dealer but I'll also give prop's to one that treat's me right.

riding_tall
06-07-2008, 01:29 AM
OK .. Slight addition to my last post. I checked the oil level for the first time after the service and it was overfilled. :( not really bad but it's past the full mark both cold and hot. Pulled a bit out before my ride to to work today and it was level cold but still over when hot. Odd thing is the tec that did the service is a buell rider .. humff. Oh well, still satisfied overall with the dealer and I'll be doing all my own service from now on anyhow. The free bag work's great for carrying my shoe's on the commute to work. flipped it upside-down and slide it over the triple-tail so I don't have to carry it on my back.

mrdozer2you
06-07-2008, 01:26 PM
The free bag work's great for carrying my shoe's on the commute to work.

I think you can get a hard case that mounts to the rear. That would work well for your shoes, and then you could lock your helmet in it so you dont have to carry it in with you. Or have some dumb ass gun lock like I use for my helmet [mad]

riding_tall
06-11-2008, 01:23 AM
Ya .. the case's are coming .. just gotta save up the $$ first. Till then the free bag will work fine for the little stuff. It an over the shoulder bag and it has a zipper slot on the top for the handle to tuck in but I just flip it over and slide it over the triple tail. It will do now.