PDA

View Full Version : Engine just stops - - Overheat? Bank Angle sensor?

B_Uly
04-04-2011, 08:40 AM
Ok, I've only owned this bike (XB12X) for ~9 months, but it has quit on me 4 times(!) Twice could have been due to low fuel since the 'low fuel' light is inconsistent (mostly off - bad sensor??), but the most recent was a tight U-turn after some hard running. Unusually, the cooling fan never came on. After ~3-5 minutes 'cool down', the bike re-fired and ran normally (2 miles to home) - but still no cooling fan . . and you guys know how odd that is. It seems that some 'reset' occurs during the off time. Anyone have similar issues or know what could cause this?
Thanks,
B_Uly

gtp3800
04-04-2011, 10:34 AM
check your fuses and connections, these bikes tend to rattle things apart eventually. also as far as the random dying, mine was doing that and it turned out to be my spark plug wire wasnt connected to the carb all the way. Eventually it rattled off, so make sure those are snapped on all the way.

B_Uly
04-13-2011, 11:59 AM
gtp; Thanks for the tip; I've never owned a bike that shakes like this one can(!) Found that the positive cable at the Battery was 'not tight' and could be rotated with light effort. Even though the starter would crank over just fine, perhaps a minor intermittent was causing the ecm to shut down, and prevent fan operation...
Over 150 miles since snugging the batt pos bolt a strong 1/2 turn and all seems normal.