PDA

View Full Version : 08 xb12scg

burnteyes
06-03-2008, 04:28 AM
I have an 08 xb12scg and i was thinking about getting the ss drummer. But i have a question, I called my dealer and asked him about installing and tuning the bike to exhuast. I also asked about the race ecm. The man i spokewith then said that he didnt think i would need race ecm on the 08's because they are more customizable, but he still recommended the kN airfilter. Has anyone else had a ss drummer installed on an 08 xb12 with and without the race ecm? If so any feed back or dyno results?

LeFox
06-03-2008, 07:06 AM
there's no race ecm for the '08.

the price of a race ecm, would cost you about the same as remapping the stock one, which gives you an even better result.

if you're going for a k&n, i would suggest getting the ecm mapped.

mrdozer2you
06-03-2008, 12:11 PM
if you're going for a k&n, i would suggest getting the ecm mapped

This is the best way definitely. The problem lies (where I am) who can do this? Most of the techs I have spoken with will dyno cars and not bikes, and the ones who do shrug their sholders when you say "Buell". Or you get the old "Never done one...but I'll try". Well, I'm not about to let my bike be the crash test dummy. So most of us have to go with the Race ECM.

The other thing that I am misunderstanding is; once you "remap" your ecm isnt it set to run most efficently during the conditions it was programmed under?(like temperature, humidity..etc?) Where I live through most of the riding months the temperature can change by alot, one day it could be 90F and the next 70F. Wouldnt a piggy-back unit be better? One that can adapt to conditions as you ride?

LeFox
06-03-2008, 04:59 PM
Or you get the old "Never done one...but I'll try". Well, I'm not about to let my bike be the crash test dummy. So most of us have to go with the Race ECM.
someone needs to be the first. if they know what they are doing, they will always backup the original map before programming anything.
if they do that, they won't destroy your engine when mapping it on the dyno.

The other thing that I am misunderstanding is; once you "remap" your ecm isnt it set to run most efficently during the conditions it was programmed under?(like temperature, humidity..etc?) Where I live through most of the riding months the temperature can change by alot, one day it could be 90F and the next 70F. Wouldnt a piggy-back unit be better? One that can adapt to conditions as you ride?
the engine will run most efficiently when the engine temp is good => outside temp is of no influence, except for the time it takes to reach the engine temp.
to more input you can collect from your engine, the better it will run...;)

Jakkel
06-03-2008, 06:00 PM
I have an 08 xb12scg and i was thinking about getting the ss drummer. But i have a question, I called my dealer and asked him about installing and tuning the bike to exhuast. I also asked about the race ecm. The man i spokewith then said that he didnt think i would need race ecm on the 08's because they are more customizable, but he still recommended the kN airfilter. Has anyone else had a ss drummer installed on an 08 xb12 with and without the race ecm? If so any feed back or dyno results?

I have an Euro 2008 XB12Ss with an open Remus exhaust. I'm riding with the original ECM, now for almost 2.000 miles (3.000 km) without any problems like running hot are abnormally blue coloured headers. The coolfan is only running when I'm driving at very slow speed at hot days in the city, for example.

If you only want a louder sound and not more power. Than I suggest you not to place a K&N airfilter, by placing an open filter your engine is getting more air and maybe the stock ECM can not learn itself in to the right A/F ratio.