PDA

View Full Version : Painting the Plasitcs!!!

Phrogg
06-04-2008, 01:31 AM
Alright I have seen a few of you that paint quite a bit. I was wondering if any of you could type up a little something and let us all know how you do it. Step by step if possible. Personally I wouldn't mind trying to paint my plastics, but I don't really have the equipment to do it. I know some people just go to Wal-Mart, and buy the color they want and go at it. Is that what some of you guys do? Sand it down and then use spray can paint?

If anyone could, that would be nice.

dave_xb12r
06-04-2008, 06:56 AM
You'll want to go to a auto paint supply store where you can get all you need to complete the job.

1. You'll want to start by roughing up the area you want to paint. There is a special pad similar to a scouring pad that is made for preping a surface for painting. Depending on how smooth you want your final product, you may want to wet sand it first. I myself like a natural texture, which is why I just use the prep pad. The plastic is smooth enough anyways.

2. After you prep with the pad, you'll want to clean the surface. I use paint thinner on a clean old lint free T shirt. There is a product that is made for this exact purpose, but you can even use lacquer thinner. You just need to get the area free from oils.

3. As far as paint goes, it depends on what you're painting. If you are painting your plastics, you can purchase special plastic/vinyl paint. If you are painting your metals, you'll have to use primer paint first. The color of the primer doesn't matter, but if its dark, and you plan on lighter final color, you'll need a few more coats. All of the paint is available custom mixed in a rattle can. Spray the layers on lightly and let the paint dry a little between coats. The lighter the coat, the less chance of getting "the runs" as I like to call it. If you want a really awesome paint job, let the paint dry all the way, and use your prep pad to rough up the paint between coats.

A clear coat is up to you. It does add a good protective layer, but then again, so does wax.

If painting in a cold garage, or outside on a cold day, warm the area you plan on painting with a hair dryer on high heat, but make sure the blowing air isn't stirring up dust. This will speed up drying and help it dry evenly.

Remember, finger prints are the number one source of oil spots, so wash your hands!

When you get to you auto paint store, tell them what you're painting and the color you want, and they will mix it on the spot and they'll tell you what to do.

Last thing I promise... If a helicopter flies over while you're painting, grab what you're painting and take it under cover. Helicopters only burn something like half their fuel, so it comes out the exhaust and it takes a minute or two to actually get to the ground but when it does, you better hope it doesn't land on your part, cuz it will leave a nice paintless spot.

I'm no pro, but I hope this helped.