PDA

View Full Version : True clip-ons on an XBS?

shilohsk8
06-05-2008, 03:39 PM
Has anyone out there put true clip-ons on their XBS? I saw these and it got me thinking.

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/1864_20080605083621_L.jpg

shilohsk8
06-05-2008, 04:05 PM
Also will a firebolt top triple fit on an S with the stock gauges?

NOMORE4s4ME
06-05-2008, 06:56 PM
I've inquired about a clip-ons with a couple manufacturers. I can't find anyone that sells some specifically designed for the XBs. The forks have a taper that makes most clamps have an improper fit. At least that's what I've been told.

Firebolt trip wont fit on the lightning because the gauge cluster wont have anything to hold on to. Look at them both and you'll see what I mean.

LeFox
06-05-2008, 08:07 PM
clip-on's won't fit...they do fit a tuber, but no xb.

you need a whole setup like sinpieces has.

NOMORE4s4ME
06-05-2008, 08:09 PM
How do we see what sinpieces has?

LeFox
06-05-2008, 08:23 PM
do a search for sinpieces, he's got pictures in several topics.

but to give you a few:
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/83_20080509043059_L.jpg
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/83_20080509042543_L.jpg
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/83_20080405072716_L.jpg

sinpieces
06-06-2008, 09:19 AM
Yes, Lefox covered that part very good!
This is the Crossroads Performance 0 degree version. You got a 7 degree option also, but it's very low (i've got those bars to). Hm, i believe this is the best choice... there are others but quite often you need to replace the top triple tree for those kits. That is expensive!!
Oh, American Sportbike are the only offical dealer of Crossroads Performance. Ask Al if you need more specific information.

typeone
06-06-2008, 06:25 PM
Has anyone out there put true clip-ons on their XBS? I saw these and it got me thinking.

if the clamp is thin enough, and you space the fairing/headlight bracket out, yes, you can mount up clip-ons. FreeSpirits has a 'cafe racer' kit if you wanted everything ready to go

Also will a firebolt top triple fit on an S with the stock gauges?

yes, but you will need to trim the fairing brackets and drill a hole for the clutch cable. might be other mods necessary but it can, and has, been done.

shilohsk8
06-08-2008, 08:37 PM
Any photos of that mod out there?

dave_xb12r
06-08-2008, 10:36 PM
Here is a link to a thread on Badweatherbikers that explains how its done.

http://badweatherbikers.com/buell/messages/37/96480.html?1177413406

shilohsk8
06-10-2008, 06:02 AM
Is the top of the fork tubes 41mm. and if you could find clamps thin enough could you just clip them on top?

typeone
06-10-2008, 02:07 PM
Is the top of the fork tubes 41mm. and if you could find clamps thin enough could you just clip them on top?

i dont remember specific dimensions for all years of XB so you'll have to look that up or measure yours but...

search for Crossroads Performance and FreeSpirits, both companies have thin clipons available but as mentioned above, you will need to modify your fairing brackets to make it work. if you dont want to deal with modifications, grab a FreeSpirits 'cafe racer' kit from www.trojan-horse.co.uk

sinpieces
06-11-2008, 04:03 PM
If you are in the US, i think the Free Spirit cafe racer kit is way more expenive than the Crossroads version and you end up pretty much same same. Is it worth it really?
The Crossroads vesrion is very very nice.
I've seen more options (brands), but the prices are just too high!
I can understand those that like to rework the bike and parts themselves, if having the skills, tools etc.
But, i doubt it's getting much cheaper, if it gets cheaper!?

shilohsk8
06-15-2008, 05:19 AM
Hey sinpieces, are these the clip-on your talking about? Doe's anyone know if they will just clamp right on top of the fork tubes without and modification, and would an 05 need 54mm. I'm to lazy to measure:Dhttp://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/1864_20080614221525_L.jpg

squiers007
06-15-2008, 02:31 PM
sinpieces, I'm curious if the grips who have in the above pictures came with the Crossroads performance setup or if you purchased them elsewhere? Also, are they available in different colors? Thanks.

sinpieces
06-15-2008, 05:44 PM
Hi both of you,

the Crossroads performance 0 degree bars are only sold at american sportbike. The clip-ons picturered above, i do not know about them. How they fit and reacts upon steering etc (hitting tank dummy or anything else)?
Well, just check out american sportbike, look at "quick store search".
Type "crossroads" and the kit will appear.
A9074 (alu silver) or A9074B (alu bars and black plate).
These (crossroads) are not worked out as the above pictured clip-ons. The crossroads kit clip-ons are mounted at a plate. This plate, is mounted in the original handlebar-clamps bolt holes. I really recommend the 0 degree version before the 7 degree. The 7 degree is too steep i think (i have both).
And no, they are not avaible in different colours. But, look up a local anodising company and have them anodise the handlebars in prefered colour. It is not so expensive. Just tell them the clip-ons are 6061 aluminium so that they now what sort they work with.
It's easier to do the kit with black plate because the plate is (reason not known) more difficult to get really nice anodised. Maybe, just maybe the plate is not 6061 or maybe it is treated in any special way? Don't know? The plate is as mentioned, more difficult to get nice.
Regarding aftermarket stuff (always), i will just say this. It is easier to buy a finished product that is made to fit your specific bike and model. I would go for this before buying any unspecified custom product. You might end up needing to do alot of expensive extra work and worst, it might not work out. I have had this problem and you might end up with stuff unusable. That is locked up money.
The crossroads will do just what you ask for at a price hard to beat.
Also, try the super nice CRG split lane mirrors with this handlebar kit. It is a super combo. Further, the CRG adjustable brake/clutch levers are also great in this application.
Good luck !!

mrdozer2you
06-16-2008, 12:41 PM
Yes but what about the hand grips? I like them aswell but the ones I find cannot be used with bar ends. I was thinking about drilling them out so they would work, is that what you did? Or did you buy different ones from another supplier?

LeFox
06-16-2008, 01:16 PM
Yes but what about the hand grips? I like them aswell but the ones I find cannot be used with bar ends. I was thinking about drilling them out so they would work, is that what you did? Or did you buy different ones from another supplier?
for that he would have to know what supplier your are refering to :p

my guess is that sin is using rizoma grips ;)

sinpieces
06-17-2008, 10:19 PM
Foxie is correct, it's Rizoma grips..
Not so comfy perhaps - but really nice pieces of art.

shilohsk8
06-17-2008, 10:29 PM
Hey Guys, I solved my clip-on problems. I'm just going with the Firebolt top triple I got one for cheap on ebay the other day and it seems to be the easiest option for the price. Thanks for everyone's help and I'll post some pics when I put it on.[up]