PDA

View Full Version : This may be stupid but.....

dave_xb12r
06-07-2008, 12:04 AM
So the other day my friends (that have gsxr's) were telling me that they never use their clutch for shifting. Is this wrong? I realize I may have dumb friends. When I learned to ride when I was 10, my dad told me to ALWAYS use the clutch. Is this no use of the clutch thing just a jap bike thing? Is it safe on a Buell to not use the clutch? Maybe only in certain situations?

Bill
06-07-2008, 01:40 AM
With the way a modern motorcycle clutch is engineered, you do not have to use if for upshifting. If you release the throttle some (it doesn't have to be all of the way), the shift fork will "loosen" enough to allow a smooth upshift with no damage to anything.

dave_xb12r
06-07-2008, 03:19 AM
Thanks Bill! Do you not use the clutch when upshifting? Or it just a "it can be done" situation? Who uses the clutch all the time and who doesn't?

Lokien
06-07-2008, 08:29 AM
:o! Personally I'd never be able to do that, shift without the clutch, mainly because my car is manual and the thought of it makes me cringe. Sometimes I have the clutch engaged and the gears still give tiny grindy sound before it fits in.

I can't imagine that being safe on the gearbox over a large amount of time either. Tell your friends the clutch is there for a reason >_>.

LeFox
06-07-2008, 09:06 AM
jap bikes are standard equiped with what they call 'easyclutch'...which makes upshifting easy, since you don't have to use the clutch.

the buell is not equiped with that type of clutch!!! so...ride buell = use clutch!

dave_xb12r
06-07-2008, 09:15 AM
Thats the answer I was looking for! Thanks LeFox! I agree with Loklen as well. I wouldn't ever think of not using the clutch on my GSR. I would feel its pain. I know syncros are there for a reason, but making them do all the work is just a sin.

1sexynucca
06-16-2008, 05:28 PM
my riding instructor told me that unlike cars the clutch on motorcycles are what you would call a "wet clutch" which makes it possible for shifting when the clutch is dis-engaged. he said that i has to be done at the right rpm's and that its something professional riders normally try to master... those werent his exact words but it was somewhere along those lines... regardless of whether he was right or not i still use my clutch when shifting

LeFox
06-16-2008, 05:46 PM
my riding instructor told me that unlike cars the clutch on motorcycles are what you would call a "wet clutch" which makes it possible for shifting when the clutch is dis-engaged
try telling that to ducati, who, except for the newest model, use a dry clutch and even have the open clutch mod. :p

i wouldn't suggest doing it on the buell either. on the 1125r you might be able to get away with it. ;)

dans03firebolt
06-16-2008, 06:02 PM
It is strictly a jap bike thing. They only have to use the clutch to take off then they can shift up and downshift into any gear they want without the clutch. Buell's are not made like that at all. The tranny is the weakest part in these bikes as Harley Tranny's are junk trannies. I wish all these bikes came with the new 6-speed that is in the 1125r. Much better tranny than the old Harley tranny.

LeFox
06-16-2008, 08:51 PM
They only have to use the clutch to take off then they can shift up and downshift into any gear they want without the clutch.
wouldn't try downshifting...up yea, no problem, but you need the synchro mesh to do its job when downshifting ;)

dans03firebolt
06-16-2008, 08:55 PM
If you just blip the throttle you can downshift no problem. I did it on my gixxer all the time with no problem. I would never do it with a Buell though.

LeFox
06-16-2008, 09:00 PM
gix had a slipperclutch?

not all japs (older or below 750cc) have one, which makes downshifting a toothbreaking experience :p

dans03firebolt
06-17-2008, 12:39 PM
I had an 01 750 so it must have had a slipper clutch on it. I only had it like 3 months because I didn't like it I needed to get back on a Buell again so I got rid of the Gixxer. It was insane though that is for sure. Fastest bike I have ever owned.

Bordsnbikes
07-07-2008, 03:49 PM
I worked in a transmission shop for a long time, for the most part a tranny is a tranny, they work on the same principles. You can shift anything without using the clutch if you work your speed and throttle right. However, the clutch is there for a reason (not just to get going) use it and prolong the life of your transmission a very long time.

racepro716
06-16-2009, 12:15 AM
Never ever used the clutch on my 81 RS-125 for upshifting, back off ever so slightly,shift,and pin it! But I never down shifted with out the clutch. One of ten bikes in North Amarica makes you remember how hard parts are to get. Don't know about the Buell's but the tranny makes enough clunking noises already so I haven't had the balls to try it yet,LOL:D Wayne

Odin
06-16-2009, 02:06 PM
never heard of that myself. and even if you 'can' do it, it just sounds dumb to me, as if you'd purposely wear parts out early.
my view-why would it be there at all if you didn't need it. so yeah always use the clutch.. why would you not anyway.. save yourself .5 second ??
only vehicle i've ever driven that i didn't use the clutch to shift was an early 70's VW bug, but then it didn't have a clutch pedal at all..weirdest thing I saw at that time.

ADAMLEE
06-16-2009, 02:15 PM
I alwyas use lube....I mean the clutch when I can!:p

Stevenc150
06-16-2009, 04:21 PM
why would you not anyway.. save yourself .5 second ?? 1/2 second on a track is a LOT. But yeah, real world, unless in an emergency, use the clutch. You're bike will thank you.

tenzi
06-22-2009, 04:09 AM
Most of those modern Italian, Japanese bikes nowaday are equipped with slipper clutch and it helps up-down shifting w/o clutch more easier than before, you still can do that on old bikes though. But you must have much experience to know which rpm is good to shift or else you will have a brand new "tranny experience" :D
100 bucks for a nice pazzo, crg level and just leave it unoccupied ?! :D
Clutchless, digital shifter is for boring GP, it's not for street riders, not for Buellers and not for fun!

PorcelainRabbit
06-22-2009, 04:20 AM
in other words...jus be safe and use your clutch, but if your txting while riding or drinking an icee and your clutch hand is busy, then it wont hurt to upshift without the clutch once in a blue moon. lol.

jk. jus use the clutch. upshifting without it is unnecessary and lazy. If you use yours , your transmission and clutch will outlast theirs a garuntee you.

wet clutch= slipper clutch?

His_and_Her_Buells
06-22-2009, 04:59 AM
wet clutch= slipper clutch?

No, slipper clutches will slightly engage clutch when down shifting to eliminate the possibility of rear wheel lockup (which will cause tire hop). Not sure how all slipper clutches work but Buell (on the Rotax engines) usea the vacuum during deceleration (when vacuum is at its peak) to engage the clutch. LeFox, please correct me if I'm wrong;)

PorcelainRabbit
06-22-2009, 05:12 AM
hmmm, fancy. lol.

xtremelow
06-22-2009, 09:32 AM
Upshifting---When I am hard on it, going fast I don't use the clutch only when I am cruising.

Downshifting---It depends on the rpm's if I am high I will use the clutch but if I am low I just downshift without the clutch.

I would say I use my clutch about 45% of the time. I learned on my bike to upshift without the clutch just back off the throttle a bit but to downshift with the clutch and I altered as I learned how to ride.

fahren
06-23-2009, 02:33 PM
I would use the clutch always. Lots of good comments above: XB transmissions aren't the best; Buells are not like jap bikes.

However, your shifts will be faster if you "preload" the shifter: lift up on it slightly before pulling in the clutch, so part of the shifter travel is already done.

jimmydean
06-23-2009, 04:33 PM
I have and will always use a clutch. I like using a clutch, but I could just be strange. My R1 is plenty fast that .5 seconds does not make a difference on the street.

only1reds
06-23-2009, 06:28 PM
Clutch to me is like second nature

MY 2ยข

keisersozae
06-23-2009, 07:15 PM
I dont always use my clutch. uneccesary. i once drove a 92 toyota truck for 3 weeks with no clutch pedal waiting on the new one to come in. it had the clutch start release button so you could put the truck in first gear not running, push the clutch start release button and then turn the key, off you go. You just get used to how the gears work without forcing it. Same thing with the bike, i can shift as smooth without it as i can with it when im on the gas. When cruising ,as extremlow said, you use your clutch.