PDA

View Full Version : 17mm Master Cylinder upgrade from ASB....thoughts?

njdevils1990
04-18-2011, 09:00 PM
Just wondering what everyones opinion is on the asb 17mm Master Cylinder upgrade, I have a 2003 XB9R and am thinking about doing this and what is needed to do it, also is it plug and play, can i use my stock lever and how does it perform as well as will it rub against the fairing? heres the link to the one I am looking at for the ztl 3piston caliper (ooh and will i have to get a new break line?) 17mm Master Cylinder upgrade-ASB.com (http://www.americansportbike.com/shoponline/ccp0-prodshow/16106.html)

RHYNOXB9R
04-18-2011, 11:03 PM
We have the same bike,I think,if you are looking for a performance upgrade,a better caliper would be better money spent.You can push all the fluid you want to the caliper,but a half assed caliper is just that.the front is ok mind you,stops,go for better pads,a stainless steel line,even a better caliper,EBR makes a good up grade,the rear sucks balls,one piston? Get the brembo upgrade,with anything done to the front and a brembo in the rear you will get a better end result

BKKBuell
04-18-2011, 11:23 PM
I have the Nissin master cylinder on my XB9SX... you do not need a new line but a view mm longer line would not harm. The feeling and brake point7force are singificanly better, the lever is adjustable (u can not use the original one)... but 24 USD I thing is not worse, I got mine for 40 USD 2nd hand.

gunut75
04-19-2011, 06:02 AM
I have that exact m.c.. Instead of 2 fingers to use the brake, now I just use 1. The radial mc uses the ZTL to it's potential. You will notice a HUGE increase in feedback. Modulation is bigtime improved. It uses a lever off of an 06 gixxer I believe. I had a new brake line made locally for $35 with color coordinated fittings while I stood there and watched. I also put new pads in while putting it all together. I say do it. Waaaay better feel. I prefer the stock pads. I only ride on the street, with 1 track day a year or so. If you want better pads go with the EBC HH series. A bit harder initial bite, but can take more heat if you do a track days now and then. Plus neither will eat your rotors up like crazy. If you do a lot of track riding, go with some other type of brake pad meant for that purpose.
I need to ride another XB and feel one of the crappy rear brakes that everyone talks about. Mine works great. I can do whatever I want with it. Settle the chassis, lock it up, whatever. I have never had any problems with the rear brake.

raven
04-19-2011, 01:02 PM
you will notice a big change in feel. also think about adding lindal gold brake pads from asb.I went to a 20mm and the 8 piston caliper last year for more stopping power and found it a little grabby at low speeds.Talk to Al at asb, he has been a big help when I trying to screw things up.