PDA

View Full Version : Problem with XB12R. Please help!

lbc_rider
03-07-2007, 06:48 PM
Ok, this is going to be kind of long but i'm going to explain this problem from beginning to end.

Hi Everyone and thank you for taking the time to read this.

I bought my XB12R back in March. The problems started when I burnt the stock clutch plates. My shop put aftermarket (barnette, i think) and thats when everything went downhill!!! The bike would not shift into neutral at a standstill unless I would hold the clutch and rev to 2k RPM.

I lowsided the bike in the Canyons at about 20mph in november. After that when shifting through the gears the bike would not go into 3rd gear. On upshifting you'd go into 1st, 2nd, then try 3rd with no effect. After a few "up kicks" the bike would go into 4th, then 5th. Same thing would happen going down gears.

The shop put a new sett of barnette clutch plates and a muller clutch. (BTW, I have the American Sport Bike hydraulic clutch kit since may or so). Still same problem. They then took apart the entire motor and from my understanding put new clutch plates, a new aftermarket shifter kit which consisted of the shift rod and that star piece at the end, and (from what I say) new shift gears for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th (I think thats what they were called).

At the same time they also de-smogged the bike at the same time.

So now, I got my bike back, the bike shifts through the gears, but you have to really Kick the lever hard with alot of force. And on-top of that the speedo isn't working properly, it jumps around like crazy!

Someone please shed some light, am I nit picking that the shift should be short and smooth with a light flick of the foot, because thats how stock was? And is the speedo thing because of the desmogging?

Thanks again to anyone who read this, I really appriciate it and thank you!!!

You can see a video of the problem below. I think the issue is the shift lever not resetting...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1oX0E43tF4

maybebuell
03-07-2007, 09:55 PM
did they use a heaver preasure plate.. when replaceing clutch plates.a heaver preasure plate will make shifting harder..neutral will be hard to click in..try taking a little play out of clutch adjustment.to get plates to open more

BuellPartsGuy
03-07-2007, 10:12 PM
I know the problem.... You keep going back to the same shop after you have problems with them and they dont fix things after they screw them up.

To me it sounds like a shifter pawl adjustment. Why did you clutch go out in the first place?

07xb12rblack
03-11-2007, 05:06 AM
I noticed a problem with my shifting today. When coming to a stop from 5th gear without down shifting. Im at a red light struggling to get the bike to shift down gears. Is this common? The bike only has about 250 miles so I don't wanna ruin something before she gets her 1st checkup!!

BuellPartsGuy
03-11-2007, 08:06 AM
Mine does the exact same thing. I have 14,000 on my '03 and climbing.... [smirk]

07xb12rblack
03-14-2007, 05:46 PM
The only fix I know is realeasing the cluth just a hair and try downsifting again. But sometimes it seems just to get stuck. I thought it might be a clutch adjustment but it bites right in the middle of my clutch release.

2Evil4U
03-14-2007, 06:32 PM
The shifter hanging when downshifting is not a problem. It's just what these trannys do. The 4-speed in my Dad's '78FX does the same thing. You've got it exactly right, just release the clutch a little and it will pop in.

mezap
03-16-2007, 02:11 AM
Also try rocking the bike back and forth while you are shifting. It helps on my XB12s. Seems like the buells just want it the way they want it, no room for compromise. If you find your in 3rd or 4th when you come to a stop, just sort of rock/roll her back and forth a little bit while you down shift. It should slip right in.
*side note* IBC: Did you check the fluid level? Manual states that if they overfill the tranny, it will make it harder to shift. Even the big kids miss it now and then Just a thought...