PDA

View Full Version : Rear Tire Removal

k_reed_14
06-13-2008, 02:07 PM
I'm just trying to find out what I need to do to remove the rear tire on an '06 uly. I did some searching and can't find anything. I've got a service manual on the way but it won't be here for a while and the tire needs changed. Any help is appreciated.

dans03firebolt
06-13-2008, 06:45 PM
I just had my tires changed and my mechanic chargers $60 to mount and balance a tire. He told me when I picked it up as he is a friend of mine for about 20yrs now. He said Danny I would charge no less than $100 next time on this style Buell. He said it is the hardest wheel he has ever removed from a bike in his life. When I heard that I was glad I didn't try to tackle the job myself.

LeFox
06-13-2008, 08:58 PM
come on, changing the tire is easy as hell!

- rear brake clamp
- rh lower side of swingarm, 2 bolts
- axle
- slide belt off
- back wheel out
- change tire & balance
- put wheel back
- put axle halfway and slide belt on
- put axle in and check if the belt is aligned
- tighten axle
- fit rear brake clamp
- tighter 2 lower bolt with some loctite

100$ is nuts, especially for a friend :o

k_reed_14
06-16-2008, 04:18 PM
This wheel was the easiest thing ever to change. I think it might have taken me ten minutes to get it off and ten minutes to get it back on and that was taking my time. Thanks for the help LeFox.

LeFox
06-16-2008, 04:45 PM
no problem ;)[up]

dans03firebolt
06-16-2008, 06:08 PM
Ok maybe he didn't do it right. He said it was tough though. He didn't charge me $100. I said he charged me the normal $60 to take off the bike, mount and balance the new tire and reinstall on the bike. That is average for a shop to do that.

talondestiny
06-04-2010, 04:40 PM
Anyone know what the correct torque is to tighten the rear axle? I have heard that if it's too tight it might destroy your bearings.

Alfatango1
06-04-2010, 04:51 PM
The first time I had a rear tire changed on my Bolt I brought it to a sport bike guy in Chandler AZ who quoted me $35 which was half off the dealer. After I got it back he told me how hard it was and didn't want to do it the next time. I never asked him why it was hard, I was just glad I saved $35 bucks.

kalifornia
06-04-2010, 05:09 PM
talon, I just remove the play and a tad tighter after that. sorry don't know the spec.

Ebeo1
06-04-2010, 05:13 PM
What size wrench do you need to fit the rear axle?

lleubbx
06-04-2010, 05:33 PM
I just changed my back tire and it was a fast and clean job (xb12s).
I get it off and take it to the shop (awesome guy, super carefull) change the tire, balance and paid 10€.[up]
Took 15 minutes to mount and after all just spend 10€.

My xb12s uses 22mm wrench for the rear axle.

tuneport67ss
06-04-2010, 05:45 PM
The double sided nut in the tool bag is for removing the axles. When I did mine, It was agrivating at first because I pulled the tensioner and everything. Only after I had pulled it did I realize how easy it was. The next time I pulled it, it was sinch and didnt take mor than 10 min. total. Took longer to put it on the stand than it did to pull the wheel.
Just loosen the locking bolt on the bottom and then unscrew the axle. It is also easier on the install if you pull the rear caliper and then put it back on after the wheel is back on.

AdventureUly
07-09-2010, 07:19 AM
I think I will have a go at this then. My belt snapped and I have got a new one to put on, but can't get the bike to a dealer.

The dealer told me i had to remove the hugger and belt guard.

Is this right? or can i leave them on?

anrkizm95
07-09-2010, 09:17 AM
its not hard at all.first time it took 10 min to pull tire and rim off and another 20 to to swap tire and balance.for 100.00 bucks you can buy the tire changer and balancer at harbor freight.

anrkizm95
07-09-2010, 09:20 AM
torque on rear axle is 52 ft lbs.thats for my 09scg yours should be the same.

strmvt
07-09-2010, 09:34 AM
Just did mine tires and just lossened the pinch bolt pulled the axle halway slid the belt off pulled the axle and dropped the tire/wheel didn`t pull the tensioner or brake caliper.

Macbuell
07-09-2010, 09:37 AM
Can we get a walk-through movie of how to remove rear tire Dave?! I would love one.

Nuage420b
07-09-2010, 11:50 AM
The front and rear are both simple and when you think about the engineering involved in designing the wheel to be so easy its just one more thing to thank erik for.

AdventureUly
07-09-2010, 12:25 PM
I will attempt this tomorrow to replace my drive belt. I have never done it before, I will take pictures and do a write up when done.

I will soon know if it is easy or not.

Wish me luck.

Ebeo1
07-10-2010, 05:12 PM
I just had my tires changed cost my $77 for mount and balance, tire disposal, and taxes.

http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-tire-changer-attachment-42927.html

hhhhmmm this little unit would pay for itself after .78 uses at the rate I'm going through tires I need it at least once a year.

granted I have broken a lot of stuff from harbor freight but I think with that price and the infrequent use it would get from me I can justify the purchase which I will be doing.

williegoat
12-11-2010, 03:04 PM
OK, I am getting ready to put a new tire on the rear of my '06 XB9r, and I just realized that my rear stand (T-rex) will cover the hole for the axle pinch bolt. Is it OK to loosen and re-torque this bolt with the wheel on the ground? (I don't see why not, I just like to be sure)
Also, it looks like I could get the wheel out without removing the caliper. Should I remove it as the service manual says, or can I leave it in place?
I've done this many times on many bikes, but this is the first time on my Buell.

EvilRX
12-11-2010, 03:15 PM
if you have a stock or factory race pipe you can use a regular jack and some wood blocks to get the rear or front tire off the ground to get it off the bike

williegoat
12-11-2010, 03:19 PM
So, you are telling me that I should not re-torque the axle pinch bolt with the wheel on the ground?

Hammel13
12-11-2010, 04:02 PM
not williegoat you will be fine to loosen that pinch bolt on the ground.

williegoat
12-11-2010, 05:59 PM
Thanks, it's all apart and I am about ready to slap the tire on and put it all back together. I just want to clean the rim up real good while I have it off. I did find that, though you can wiggle the wheel out without removing the caliper, it's just a lot easier to remove the two bolts, put a rag on the swing arm and rest the caliper there.
Piece of cake!

crxtasy169
12-11-2010, 06:41 PM
K reed send me your email and year of Uly and I'll send you the manual.

crxtasy169
12-11-2010, 06:48 PM
Ok so its an 06 sorry missed that! My bad.

delta one
12-11-2010, 07:10 PM
man its funny that so many shops said it was hard

my shop loved the buell, when I picked up the bike they didn't say anything. but when I ran into the tech at the racetrack a few days later he said I should bring by bike by again because it was super easy to change the tires on.

njdevils1990
03-31-2011, 02:05 PM
Well I'm gonna try and do a write up on tire change this week, I'm ordering Michelin Power Pure tires from jake wilson so they should be here monday and I will install them...its gonna be tricky without a bike stand but I have a motorcycle jack and curved rubber jack blocks that should do the trick.

MotoPhreke
03-31-2011, 02:08 PM
Yeah, you should be fine with the MC jack, I used one when changing mine out. The biggest pain was breaking the bead, make sure you have some nice rim protectors and some dynabeads. That way you don't even have to pay anyone to balance it. :)

njdevils1990
03-31-2011, 02:24 PM
I work at a tire center so I'm just gonna do it at work on the tire machine :D and I have dyna beads as well 1oz front and 2oz for the rear tire.

firefighter1c57
03-31-2011, 03:31 PM
I just did mine the other day, and it's easy peazy.
1 Remove pinch bolt.
2 Raise rear on rear stand(I do this because the pinch bolt is hard to get to with the bike on the stand.)
3 Remove brake caliper(it doesn't "have" to be removed, but it makes install easier)
4 loosen nuts on idler pulley(not necessary, but it will give you a little more play in the belt)
5 Remove rear axle.

Install is the reverse of removal. I seem to remember rear axle torque being between 48 and 52 ftlbs, I torqued to 50. I do not remember pinch bolt or caliper bolt torques. I use locktite on pinch bolt and pulley nuts upon reinstall

I spoon my own tires on with spoons from Cycle Gear. I don't bother balancing. I've had a balance problem once before on a different bike, removed the wheel and static balanced it. Problem solved.

gunho
08-19-2011, 05:04 PM
hello,I have a 07 xb12ss and have followed the steps removed 1 pinch bolt,raised tire, remove brake, loosen pulley.still cant break axle loose any help would be nice.before I get out bigger tool, have I missed something axle is right hand thread (made this mistake before:() I weight 185 and standing on wrench wont break it loose tryed kroil still wont budge thanks for any advice.

njdevils1990
08-19-2011, 06:44 PM
front axle is reverse thread (counter clockwise on/clockwise off)
rear axle is standard thread (counter clockwise off/clockwise on)

gunho
08-19-2011, 07:28 PM
thanks thats what I thought ,but it will not break loose.time for a big cheater bar.thanks

njdevils1990
08-19-2011, 07:39 PM
I had to use a cheater bar to get the axle off of my 1125 when you install put a little anti-seize on the threads to help next time and also where ther bearings sit so you dont pull them out of the rim from being seized to the axle.

Johnbaum13
08-19-2011, 08:06 PM
Took me a big cheater on my axle first time, X2 on the anti-seize.

Ebeo1
08-20-2011, 05:57 AM
http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=5002&L2=19&L3=233&L4=&item=ONL_8604-004&name=MOTOCENTRIC_Spoon_Tire_Iron

I spoon my own tires on with spoons from Cycle Gear.Â* I don't bother balancing.Â* I've had a balance problem once before on a different bike, removed the wheel and static balanced it. Problem solved.

Are these the spoons you use? I have tried to find some before but had a hard time locating some these just don't look like they give enough leverage either.

Tig71l
08-23-2011, 05:33 AM
gunho, had the same problems as you did with removing the rear tire. I bought my XB12x slightly used and I think the previous owner would wash the bike and let it sit. The axle and wheel bearings were trying to fuse together. I use a lot of anti-seize on the fasteners on this bike now.

Last time I pulled the rear wheel I had a lot of trouble getting the belt off the pulley and I am jealous of you guys that are not having problems. I even used a shop manual that was for a LIghtning. Will the belt just slide off the pulley?

njdevils1990
08-23-2011, 05:40 AM
http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=5002& ...

Quote:
I spoon my own tires on with spoons from Cycle Gear.Â* I don't bother balancing.Â* I've had a balance problem once before on a different bike, removed the wheel and static balanced it. Problem solved.

Are these the spoons you use? I have tried to find some before but had a hard time locating some these just don't look like they give enough leverage either.

It will scratch up the rim flange a little but i used two flat head screw drivers to get the tire off and old ones on before i sold my firebolt, but i put rags under them and only marked one spot and also used a heavy duty vice to break the bead loose, also with a rag to protect the rim, took me about 45 min to change both tires from the time i took the axles off to puting them back on.

Tig71l
08-24-2011, 06:04 AM
Got my wheels off last night in about 30 minutes, but front and back. If I would have had a better set of stands it would have taken me a lot less time.

rodimus prime
08-24-2011, 07:27 AM
Umm the guy who said $100 for his friends tire to be changed would get punched in the mouth and I would instantly never talk to that guy again. Just sayin.

duc907rdr
03-02-2012, 08:44 PM
rear axle help? I've got 9,000 on my XB12Ss and just replacing the tires (I do a lot of plain commuting unfortunately). Anyhow, the front tire is replaced, but trying to do the rear, and I can't get the axle loose. Believe it or not, there was no pinch bolt...I never noticed it missing....so maybe the rear axle has gotten more corrosion because of this? Not sure. Anyhow, sprayed WD40 on it tonight, but if it doesn't loosen, what next?

buell05
03-09-2012, 10:58 AM
whew! what a relief, I've always pulled my rims for tires changes and was checking to see what was required. BT003rs going on this week.

Ulyfied1
05-12-2014, 05:16 AM
Hello, I have a 07 Uly, have read this site since I got it and learned a lot. Many thanks.
Bike's been great, problem free.
I looked but can't find anything on changing the back wheel without a stand.
I mean, on the side of the road, how do you remove the wheel????

Meanwhile, thanks again for the priceless info, advice and the occasional opinion
much appreciated.

Negative
05-12-2014, 05:20 AM
I would not attempt such a feat personally ..... HOWEVER, there was a product made I ran across not too long back that was basically a small jack stand you could put on the outside leg of the swingarm (on the opposite side of the kickstand) which allowed you to get just the back tire off the ground and rotate it for whatever reason ... I'm sure you could take it off too if you trusted that your bike wouldn't roll or move around on it ......

Still wouldn't try it myself though ... lol