PDA

View Full Version : New Sounds, Not Good Ones

blackxb12r
06-16-2008, 11:12 PM
I have an 04 xb12r with almost seven thousand on the clock, two by me the rest by previous owners. Over the last couple of days I have noticed a popping/ticking noise when I get on it. It seems to happen the most when in fourth or fifth gear and get the bike pulling above four thousand rpms. Sometimes it sounds like its in the breather, others from the right side of the motor. To me it sounds like the fuel is preigniting or something. I run 93 octane and have a race chip with racing pipe and the breather hose reroute mod. All of this was done along time ago so it shouldnt have anything to do with that. It has been really hot here in Central Texas (98+), the fan is working both while riding and after shutdown. I cant get it to make the noise while sitting still, seems it has to be under a load. It was supposed to have had its five thousand mile service at the dealer before I bought it. I have been considering changing the oil and filters at twenty five hundred because of the heat and dirty conditions the bike is exposed. Any thoughts???

LeFox
06-17-2008, 08:28 AM
did the previous owner show you the invoice of the 5000mile service?

are you experiencing any loss in power, reaction, etc?

BuellPartsGuy
06-17-2008, 03:57 PM
I would pull your plugs and see what they look like to give you an idea if it is a detonation problem.

blackxb12r
06-17-2008, 10:45 PM
no he did not show any invoice for the service. i do not notice any difference in performance whatso ever, just the noise. i am positive it is coming up through the airbox. i noticed today coming home i get a lot of popping from the exhaust if i roll it up to and above four grand on the tach, i so a post on the board somewhere about that meaning it was running lean. could that be the issue?? it has the racing pipe and chip, i thought that would solve any mixture issues. i think i am going to start getting gas at a different station as well. i am going to pull the plugs this week at some point, how hard is it to get the back one out??

blackxb12r
06-17-2008, 10:46 PM
oh i would definetly call it a pinging noise, to me it does not sound mechanical in nature.

LeFox
06-18-2008, 07:25 AM
fill it up at another station and see what it does.

when weather is good/hot with 93octane fuel, the chance is big that it's pinging.
maybe you should find a higher octane fuel for those warmer days.

mrdozer2you
06-18-2008, 01:08 PM
when weather is good/hot with 93octane fuel, the chance is big that it's pinging

93 near my home is about the best I can find, unless I go to a racing type 110 octane thats sold at a station near my house ( although I think there's lead in it)

LeFox
06-18-2008, 01:31 PM
( although I think there's lead in it)
since the pre-'08s have no catalyst, that should not be a problem.

93 near my home is about the best I can find, unless I go to a racing type 110 octane thats sold at a station near my house
the don't go near your house? :p

blackxb12r
06-18-2008, 01:58 PM
93 is the best i can get in my area that i know of, is the pinging something to be concerned about?? i am going to change stations for sure.

LeFox
06-18-2008, 07:57 PM
is the pinging something to be concerned about??
yea...that means your burn isn't optimal in burn & timing, which could cause major damage to your engine.

what could help is adjusting your ignition timing, or if this is a problem you have frequently (high temp & low octane fuel) maybe you should look into getting some better cooling for your engine.

burnteyes
06-18-2008, 08:58 PM
93-94 is the highest octane i can get within 50 miles from here and i got an oil refinery 2 miles from the house. even then 75% of gas stations only have 91 0r 92 octane. $4.38 dollars for 92 octane. which i guess compared to other parts of the world is good but On my last pay check, i had 62% that was taken out in federal, state, and city taxes... not to mention the 50% of the 38% i got goes out in utility bills and food and i only eat once a day... Not leaving much for savings... Ill never own a house :(... 85 thousand a year and cant afford to buy a house...

blackxb12r
06-18-2008, 11:53 PM
what would you suggest for better cooling lefox??

LeFox
06-19-2008, 06:59 AM
what would you suggest for better cooling lefox??
good quality synthetic oil will already do alot.
otherwise you can look into a larger oil cooler with a jagg oil switch to close the circuit for those colder days ;)

mrdozer2you
06-19-2008, 12:01 PM
Or a Right side scoop will help some too[smirk][up]

blackxb12r
06-19-2008, 12:34 PM
i have been planning on the right side airscoop, have not seen any oil coolers anywhere. where could i look?? thanks for the imput!!!

mrdozer2you
06-19-2008, 12:44 PM
LinkFox will have one for you;)

(I can't get links to post [mad]:o)

LeFox
06-19-2008, 01:41 PM
13row@twinmotorcycles (http://www.twinmotorcycles.nl/webshop/artikel.asp?guid=YXHFSC&aid=1144&cid=0&s=oil%20cooler&a=)
19row@twinmotorcycles (http://www.twinmotorcycles.nl/webshop/artikel.asp?guid=YXHFSC&aid=955&cid=0&s=oil%20cooler&a=)
13row@freespirits (http://en.freespirits.it/catalog/popdetails_en.php?id=145)
19row@freespirits (http://en.freespirits.it/catalog/popdetails_en.php?id=207)

but seeing that this is a major mod to your engine, i would suggest getting your ecm read and ignition timing checked first.
maybe even check if your bike isn't running to lean, which could also cause high temp and thus pinging.

the rh airscoop (http://www.devilstars.be/forum/viewtopic.php?t=299) would also do a good job in keeping your engine run cooler, like mrdozer2me said. ;)