PDA

View Full Version : Micron System Q

RuskiBuell
06-17-2008, 01:52 PM
Hello, I just got my first Buell. It is a XB12Scg and I am looking for an exhaust system to put on it. I like the Micron look and from the little sound bits that I've found I like the way it sounds. My question is this. If I purchase this system would I have to get a Race ECM or some other computer to go with it? Or would the dealer or whoever puts in on be able to map it with the origional computer? I suppose what I'm really asking is what would be all the parts that I would need to get in order to get the best bang for my buck out of the Micron system. Thanks ahead of time for all the insight and help.

As a follow-up to this, would anyone suggest something else other than the Micron? Or is it even worth it to get and entire system instead of just a slip on?

BuellPartsGuy
06-17-2008, 03:45 PM
The best thing you can do if you plan on running a Micron is get you stock ECM re-mapped. Even with a Race ECM, it still won't be running the best, and still will be slightly lean. To be able to re-map your ECM, your dealer or whoever needs to have the DirectLink program and a dyno. All that you personally would need to buy is a mapping Key. All of this can be found on www.americansportbike.com

IMO, the Micron is one of the best on the market. Great choice!! [up] Great performance and sound. Good looks too.

LeFox
06-17-2008, 08:14 PM
welcome ruski on congratz on the buy ;)

what i would suggest you do is:
- do the breather re-route (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Do-It-Yourself-Buell-Mods/Re-route-hoses) mod
- get a k&n airfilter (http://www.buellparts.net/content-product_info/product_id-1530/firebolt_k_n_air_filter_xb_models.html)
- get a exhaust of your choice...if it's micron, good choice
- get your ecm remapped.

you'll be very happy with the result! ;)

RuskiBuell
06-17-2008, 09:17 PM
Just to clarify something really quickly. Thanks for the feedback btw. The 07 ecm CAN be remapped correct? That was really my main concern. The Buell dealer that I got the bike from seems pretty cool and they have a dyno and a DirectLink computer so I guess I should be fine on that. And Mapping Key? Please clarify.

On a sidenote. LeFox is there anyway you would be willing to ship some Euro stuff for me if I pay you? I'm only assuming you live there so correct me if I'm wrong, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

RuskiBuell
06-17-2008, 09:38 PM
Just a quick edit, since I still don't know how to do it on here. Al sent me an e-mail telling me that in his opinion he would run the Race ECM with the Micron. Everyone on here seems to thing otherwise. Just wondering whats up.

BuellPartsGuy
06-17-2008, 10:56 PM
We set one up here with a Race ECM and a Micron, and granted it works, but its not exactly the perfect mixture.

Mapping Key (http://www.americansportbike.com/shoponline/ccp0-prodshow/9309.html)

LeFox
06-18-2008, 07:36 AM
The 07 ecm CAN be remapped correct?
all ecm's can be remapped

On a sidenote. LeFox is there anyway you would be willing to ship some Euro stuff for me if I pay you? I'm only assuming you live there so correct me if I'm wrong, but I figured I'd ask anyway.
what would you be needing?

Al sent me an e-mail telling me that in his opinion he would run the Race ECM with the Micron
a remap is always the best option.
the race ecm was developed for a slip-on (the buell race muffler), not a complete system.

RuskiBuell
06-19-2008, 12:05 AM
A fender eliminator from Trojan-Horse. Unless they will directly ship to the US. Please let me know because they have some kick-ass stuff on there. I don't mind giving you a little extra cash for the trouble.

Also, I saw some of the airscoops they offer...but none will fit with the Micron exhaust. Are there any that will work with the Micron and do they even make that big a diff in the long run?

LeFox
06-19-2008, 07:01 AM
trojan will ship to u.s. and i can get you the airscoop for the micron :p

and the scoops really work!

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/627_20071112042025_L.jpg

RuskiBuell
06-19-2008, 01:29 PM
You just put a big smile on my face LeFox. Now it is time to start saving away so I could get it done at the end of the year (I hope!!). So let me recap real quick.

I'd need the Micron system. A high flow filter (what about the F.A.S.T. kit? And what exactly is it?). And a remap of my STOCK ECM. To get the "best" results.

Oh, and where did you get the scoop? Did you fabricate it yourself or modify one of the ones available? Either way how much would you charge me for one? Also if you did modify it, would you also be able to modify the smaller Euro ones as well?

Sorry that I'm asking so many questions, I'm just really excited about this bike.

LeFox
06-19-2008, 01:45 PM
here's a link to the rh airscoop for ya: click (http://www.devilstars.be/forum/viewtopic.php?t=299)
send me a mail with your location and i'll return a with the costs ;)

fast kit is a heat-blanket with a high volicity k&n-cup which is a bit better compared to the complete open airbox mod ith k&n filter...would need to test the foam filter that is out to see how that performs.

RuskiBuell
06-25-2008, 06:53 PM
Hey Fox, did you wrap your Micron with heat wrap after it was coated or no?

LeFox
06-25-2008, 07:49 PM
no, i'm not much of a wrap fan...that's why i had it coated ;)

and the coating is so nice, you wouldn't want to hide it :D

RuskiBuell
06-26-2008, 04:44 PM
Did you get the re-sent e-mail?

LeFox
06-26-2008, 09:20 PM
yep...the pony is on his way :p

Roccodart440
07-22-2008, 01:21 AM
I'm not all that familier with anything other than the micron but there are a few things about the Micron you should know.

1. They are very loud.

2. The coating isn't that great. Mine discolorered. If you plan to wrap your exhaust that isn't a big deal.

3. Theya aren't mandrel bent.

BuellPartsGuy
07-22-2008, 04:27 AM
Yes, thats true. They aren't mandrel bent. They are hydroformed tubing. Better than mandrel in this application.

LeFox
07-22-2008, 09:34 AM
2. The coating isn't that great. Mine discolorered. If you plan to wrap your exhaust that isn't a big deal.
they aren't coated, disoloration is normal

3. Theya aren't mandrel bent.
indeed, to add on PBG's remark, the bend narrowing @ the front header has it's purpose.
it's there for a reason...**insert link which i seem to have lost with a graphic description of what the bend @ the front header is for** :o

also found this article:

Micron WINS the Formula USA Pro Thunderbike National Championship with the RacingMotorcycles.com Buell XB-12R!

Many "say" their products increase performance on a Buell, only Micron proves it, and in top fashion!

David Estok and the Buell XB-12R dominated the season, cruising to the National Championship Title with ease in Daytona.

That the exclusive Micron Serpent exhaust system has added ANOTHER National Championship with the Buell XB-12R winning the Pro Thunderbike title should come as no surprise to anyone, but the vast array of machines Micron has won with this season alone demonstrates the un-matched level of technology in every exclusive, fully hydroformed Serpent header system.

Once again, Micron challenges all competitors to match the performance of our World proven Serpent designs. Micron is the World leader in hydroformed exhaust manufacturing, and the Serpent full systems finally bring the Buell XB's up to the power level they deserves in the ultra competitive performance arena. Let's see who can even come close...

Micron started the hydroforming revolution 5 years ago, and now some "followers" have started to copy our inovations, only proving the fact that our technology is far beyond the basic tube benders of the old school. But these companies only offer one "small" bend in hydroform, nothing even close to the craftmanship of the FULLY hydroformed Micron Serpent designs. Imitation IS the greatest form of flattery, and we are getting very flattered!

Does not seem to matter what brand, what model or what class of racing, the complete domination of the Micron Serpent headers has become the standard to beat anywhere in the World!

Roccodart440
07-23-2008, 02:28 PM
That front bend on the header has the pipe almost flattened out. I'm a bit new to bikes but have been into cars for quite a while. I've never thought or read something like this to be a good thing. I'd like to know their resoning and also why they didn't do it on both pipes?

The pipe has to be coated with something because it didnt' rust or it's stainless. It got these spots on it that were discoloed. Almost like something caustic had gotten on to it. Again it never rusted anywhere. I wrapped them anyway, so it doesn't matter now.

Tork
07-23-2008, 09:20 PM
Something to consider regarding the Micron system is that the company has recently ceased manufacturing of motorcycle exhaust systems. You might be able to buy a system until inventories are depleted, but they'll soon be gone.

BuellPartsGuy
07-23-2008, 10:51 PM
Tork, where did you hear that rumor? I just called them and they said thats ridiculous....

RHYNOXB9R
07-24-2008, 01:29 AM
Hey BPG,I have read all the replys on this post,it surrounds a XB12Scg. Does the same remapping of the stock ECM apply to a 03' XB9R with a full Micron system as I was going to put one on this winter? All I need to buy along with my Micron is a remapping key?Also, would a Fastkit work better on my model than a Airbox delete?I allready am running a K&N filter.Lastly,does the right side air box work well?

BuellPartsGuy
07-24-2008, 01:42 AM
Yes it will work on a XB9R. You will need to buy the mapping key then have it tuned.

Both of those airbox mods would work pretty much the same.

If you mean the right side air scoop, yes it will work but you might have to modify it some to get it to clear the Micron headers.

Tork
07-24-2008, 01:51 AM
[BuellPartsGuy]

Tork, where did you hear that rumor? I just called them and they said thats ridiculous....

Matt Purdy, proprieter at Trojan Horse (very reputable Buell accessories vendor) says they've had a hard time getting a straight answer from Micron (not sure who he talked to). Cessation of exhaust manufacturing was confirmed with Exhaust Tech, Micron's parent company.

I've heard other Micron vendors say they've had their shipments cancelled.

Additionally, at Visordown.com, a subscription motorcycle news site, the following article was published on July 11th, 2008 (Link: http://www.visordown.com/motorcyclenews/view/micron_exhaust_technologies_ceases_trading/5112.html):

Micron Exhaust Technologies Ceases Trading
By Visordown News

Well-Known Motorcycle Exhaust Manufacturer Closes its Doors

MICRON the well-known exhaust manufacturer has ceased trading as of 10am yesterday (Thursday 10th July).

The Micron team of over 20 staff - of which some have been working for the company for 20 eyars - have been laid off with as yet no offer of pay.

It is thought that Micron's parent company will concentrate on the automotive side of the business, which accounts for around 85% of its turnover, making exhausts for car brands such as Aston Martin.

BuellPartsGuy
07-24-2008, 02:30 AM
Are you in Europe by chance? They may not be shipping to Europe......

Tork
07-24-2008, 03:25 AM
[BuellPartsGuy]

Are you in Europe by chance? They may not be shipping to Europe......

No, I'm a Yank (Texas). Both Trojan Horse and Micron are UK companies. Why wouldn't Micron ship to a customer in its own country? [confused]

I'm doing my own research, but I think the Micron UK factory is shutting its doors. There is a Micron North America, but I think it is a distributor for Micron UK.

There are postings on the import bike boards talking about the end of Micron pipes as well. I know a popular US distributor of Micron systems. I'll call him and see if he can confirm definitively.

Roccodart440
07-30-2008, 03:32 PM
I looked in tot he hydroform theory, and I say theory becasue it is just that. It is basicly another exhaust theory not unlike that madrel bend concept.

I suppose it is whatever you buy into. Bottmom line is the pipe makes HP on the dyno and is one of the best performers out there. That sort of result is hard to dispute.

FIDOSOL
07-30-2008, 03:51 PM
^ What he said, truth is, everyone has their theory, check out a muscle mag and look at the adds. Same thing goes for motorcycle exhausts, every manufacturer makes the "best"....

gbalias
10-31-2008, 01:50 AM
i build some pipes for our bikes AND will help with the tune. something the exhaust mafg'ers dont do.

you can email me if youre interested

gbalias@mail.com

Lordfenwick
10-31-2008, 01:02 PM
Hi,

CLF Technologies Ltd, http://www.clf.co.uk/home.htm who own Micron Exhaust Technologies have been placed into Admistration and are being run by Tenon Recovery Ltd of Nottingham UK.

When administrators are appointed, effectively the management of the company is taken away from the Directors of the business. The administrator must act in the interests of all the creditors and attempt to rescue the company as a going concern. If this proves impossible he must work to maximise the recovery of the creditors as a whole. Administration is analogous to going into "Chapter 11" in the United States, although there are certain key differences, including the fact that the administrator usually controls the company, not the directors.

Basically, if the administrator considers that continuing to make motorcycle exhausts is a profitable operation then they will endeavour to sell it as a going concern to the highest bidder, either as part of CLF or as a stand alone entity. If it is a loss making part of the business, then it is likely they will shut it down, sell off the stock, machines and property to release as much cash as possible, then pay the Taxman, statutory redundancy payments to the employees and if there is anything left, the creditors.

Until they make that decision, getting any news out of adminstrators is like getting blood out of a stone!