PDA

View Full Version : Stats on Buell Lightning XB12?

buellxb
10-10-2006, 01:14 AM
Lets get this started! What are the main stats that will impress my friends that ride foreign sport bikes?

Buellman
10-10-2006, 01:17 AM
Buell stats and specs eh? Where to start... All new buell xb motorcycles have fuel in the frame, and pipes that are mounted in center, lowest portion of the bike. This along with the short wheelbase makes Buells the best handling bikes on the market. PERIOD!

BadAssBuell
10-10-2006, 01:25 AM
I would have to say that the raw power and torque of these mean ass bikes are the best aspects of the Buell XB12 motorcycles. If you know how to ride and use the power you can pull away from a Yamaha R1 with noooo problem.
Buell XB12 hp: 103 HP @ 6800 RPM
Torque: 84 ft. lbs. @ 6000 RPM

Make sure you're comparing the HP and torque of other bikes with the same RPM's. Most Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha bikes etc have to rev to really high RPM's to make power.

denisemark064
10-13-2006, 01:21 AM
I AM 42 AND READY TO ROLL DOWN THE ROAD AGAIN! I AM LOOKING AT THE XB12 LONG LIGHTING. DOES ANYBODY RIDE ONE? BUELLSON WANTS TO KNOW.

Buellman
10-13-2006, 01:56 AM
It's my understanding that the Buell Long model is really nice. If your aren't taking your bike to the track and you just joy ride for fun the Long version would be the best. The handling is more predictable on the longs, but if you're good you can take turns faster on the regular framed Buells.

buellxb
10-13-2006, 02:01 AM
How tall are you denisemark064? If you are 6' or taller you will want the long for sure. If you are shorter the regular Buells are really nice. They sit low to the ground and have a shorter wheelbase. These features can be good confidence builders for smaller riders.

dcastle
10-17-2006, 07:07 PM
I am 54/5'11'' and just bought an XB12Ss. It fits great and is great fun to ride. I keep telling my married co-workers if you get one you will not come home as often as your wife may think that you should. I have not ridden in about 17 years, and I am surprised at how much stuff I've forgotten. I would suggest that you rent one for a weekend. I have two issues with the bike that I hope to fix. I don't race or drive aggressively, but I experience a lot of pinging under "playful" loads. I hope to get this resolved before the waranty ends. The other issue that I have is operating the throttle between 1000-2000 RPM which is where I round corners in ordinary traffic it is very difficult for me.
The bike will warm your right leg to temperatures that may disturb or frighten you even with wrapped headers.
There a lot of mechanical noise that comes through the air cleaner that keeps you wondering if your valves need adjustment.
I would like to do some sport-touring, but the bike's 175-200 mile range is kinda short and luggage fitments scarce.
On the other hand, commuting to work at 50+ mpg is great.

paperclip
11-01-2006, 05:07 PM
The bike will warm your right leg to temperatures that may disturb or frighten you even with wrapped headers.

I guess that's something common on a naked twin. The buell bikes have the headers designed pretty much like the Harleys, but it seems like they tucked them out of the way pretty nicely. Your height might have something to do with it, because at 5'8", my legs do not come anywhere near the headers.

2Evil4U
11-01-2006, 06:46 PM
I've also noticed (like dcastle said) that with the XB12 stock cam and injection tune, there is no reason to ever try to run below 2000 RPM. It just doesn't work.

BuellPartsGuy
11-01-2006, 11:02 PM
Overall Length (2) 76.2 in. 1935 mm
Overall Width (3) 29.7 in. 755 mm
Seat Height:
Standard (4) 30.1 in. 765 mm
Low Profile N/A N/A
Ground Clearance (2) 4.35 in. 110 mm
Rake (at Steering Head) (4) 21.0° 21.0°
Fork Angle (4) 21.0° 21.0°
Lean Angle:
Soft Contact, Right (5) 42° 42°
Soft Contact, Left (5) 42° 42°
Hard Contact, Right (5) 50° 50°
Hard Contact, Left (5) 48° 48°
Trail (4) 3.3 in. 83 mm
Wheelbase (2) 52.0 in. 1320 mm
Tires:
Type (6) Pirelli® Pirelli®
Front (6) Diablo T (model) Diablo T (model)
120/70 ZR-17 (specifications) 120/70 ZR-17 (specifications)
Rear (6) Diablo T (model) Diablo T (model)
180/55 ZR-17 (specifications) 180/55 ZR-17 (specifications)
Fuel Capacity 3.82 gal. 14.5 L
Reserve Fuel Capacity 0.75 gal. 2.8 L
MPG (EPA urban/highway test) (7):
Urban 48 MPG 4.9 L/100 km
Highway 65 MPG 3.6 L/100 km
Weight:
Dry Weight 395 lbs. 179 kg
Gross Rating 850 lbs. 386 kg
Load Capacity 388 lbs. 176 kg
Top of Page
Engine U.S. Units Metric Units
Engine Air/oil/fan-cooled, 4-stroke, 45° V-Twin Air/oil/fan-cooled, 4-stroke, 45° V-Twin
Valve Train OHV, two valves per cylinder, self-adjusting OHV, two valves per cylinder, self-adjusting
Bore x Stroke:
Bore 3.500 in. 88.9 mm
Stroke 3.812 in. 96.8 mm
Displacement 73.4 cu. in. 1203 cc
Compression Ratio 10.0:1 10.0:1
Fuel Delivery 49 mm down draft DDFI II fuel injection 49 mm down draft DDFI II fuel injection
Intake (Air Cleaner for Blast®) Zero-resistance airbox Zero-resistance airbox
Exhaust Tuned, tri-pass resonance chamber with InterActive valve and mass-centralized mounting Tuned, tri-pass resonance chamber with InterActive valve and mass-centralized mounting
Torque (North America per SAE J607) 84 ft. lbs. @ 6000 RPM 113 NM @ 6000 RPM
Horsepower (North America per SAE J607) 103 HP @ 6800 RPM 103 HP @ 6800 RPM
Lubrication Dry-sump Dry-sump
Oil Capacity (Lubrication for Blast®) 2.5 qts. 2.4 L
Oil Filtration Screw-on disposable element Screw-on disposable element
Top of Page
Drivetrain U.S. Units Metric Units
Primary Drive Chain, 1.500:1 (57/38) ratio Chain, 1.500:1 (57/38) ratio
Final Drive (8) Constant path, 14 mm pitch aramid-reinforced Hibrex® belt with Flexten® Plus technology, 2.407:1 (65/27) ratio Constant path, 14 mm pitch aramid-reinforced Hibrex® belt with Flexten® Plus technology, 2.407:1 (65/27) ratio
Clutch Wet, multi-plate, compensated Wet, multi-plate, compensated
Transmission 5-speed, helical gear 5-speed, helical gear
Overall Ratio:
1st 2.648 2.648
2nd 1.892 1.892
3rd 1.407 1.407
4th 1.166 1.166
5th 1.000 1.000
Top of Page
Chassis U.S. Units Metric Units
Frame (6) Aluminum frame with Uniplanar™ powertrain vibration isolation system, fuel in frame Aluminum frame with Uniplanar™ powertrain vibration isolation system, fuel in frame
Front Fork (6) 43 mm Showa® inverted forks with adjustable compression damping, rebound damping and spring preload 43 mm Showa® inverted forks with adjustable compression damping, rebound damping and spring preload
Rear Shock Showa® coil-over monoshock with remote, under-seat reservoir and adjustable compression damping, rebound damping and spring preload Showa® coil-over monoshock with remote, under-seat reservoir and adjustable compression damping, rebound damping and spring preload
Wheels:
Color Cherry Bomb Translucent (new), Translucent Amber, Designer Black Cherry Bomb Translucent (new), Translucent Amber, Designer Black
Front 6-spoke, ZTL™ cast aluminum (type) 6-spoke, ZTL™ cast aluminum (type)
17 in. (diameter) 432 mm (diameter)
3.5 in. (width) 89 mm (width)
Rear 6-spoke, cast aluminum (type) 6-spoke, cast aluminum (type)
17 in. (diameter) 432 mm (diameter)
5.5 in. (width) 140 mm (width)
Brakes:
Front ZTL™-type brake, 6-piston, fixed caliper, 375 mm single-sided, inside-out, stainless steel, floating rotor ZTL™-type brake, 6-piston, fixed caliper, 375 mm single-sided, inside-out, stainless steel, floating rotor
Rear Single piston, floating caliper; 240 mm stainless steel, fixed rotor Single piston, floating caliper; 240 mm stainless steel, fixed rotor
Suspension Travel:
Front 4.72 in. 120 mm
Rear 5.00 in. 127 mm
Top of Page
Electric U.S. Units Metric Units
Battery Sealed lead acid, maintenance-free, 12V, 12 amp/hour, 200 cca (per Battery Council International Rating) Sealed lead acid, maintenance-free, 12V, 12 amp/hour, 200 cca (per Battery Council International Rating)
Charging 494W peak, 38-amp, permanent magnet, 3-phase alternator with solid-state regulator 494W peak, 38-amp, permanent magnet, 3-phase alternator with solid-state regulator
Starting 1.2 kW electric with solenoid shift starter motor engagement 1.2 kW electric with solenoid shift starter motor engagement
Lights: (as per country regulation)
Headlamps Type Twin Quartz Halogen [H7] Twin Quartz Halogen [H7]
Headlamps Description 55-watt low beam, 55-watt high beam 55-watt low beam, 55-watt high beam
Tail/Stop Lights 5W/21W 5W/21W
Turn Signal Lights 10W manual canceling 10W manual canceling
License Plate Light 5W 5W
Top of Page
Styling/Convenience U.S. Units Metric Units
Instruments Electronic speedometer, tachometer, odometer; dual resettable tripmeter; high beam, neutral, oil, low fuel (plus, odometer show miles traveled on reserve), turn signal and engine diagnostic indicator lamps; clock Electronic speedometer, tachometer, odometer; dual resettable tripmeter; high beam, neutral, oil, low fuel (plus, odometer show miles traveled on reserve), turn signal and engine diagnostic indicator lamps; clock
Top of Page
Colors U.S. Units Metric Units
Available Colors (9) Valencia Orange Translucid w/Translucent Amber wheels
Cherry Bomb Translucid w/Translucent Red wheels
Midnight Black w/Designer Black wheels Valencia Orange Translucid w/Translucent Amber wheels
Cherry Bomb Translucid w/Translucent Red wheels
Midnight Black w/Designer Black wheels
Top of Page
Warranty U.S. Units Metric Units
Warranty 24 months (unlimited mileage) 24 months (unlimited mileage)

2 Unladen, wet configuration (no rider, all fluids).
3 Without mirrors.
4 Laden, wet configuration (design rider, all fluids).
5 Bottomed-out configuration (100% suspension compression).
6 Kevlar®, Showa®, Dunlop® and Pirelli® are registered trademarks of their respective owners.
7 Based on tests conducted under lab conditions per U.S. E.P.A. test procedures. Mileage will vary depending on personal riding habits, weather conditions, trip length and vehicle condition.
8 Hibrex® and Flexten® are registered trademarks of the Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company.
9 Availability may vary from dealer to dealer, and is subject to change without notice.

Now there is some stats for ya..... [smirk]

Buell4tl
11-23-2006, 02:57 AM
What are the main stats that will impress my friends that ride foreign sport bikes?

I would start off by mentioning horsepower and torque numbers, followed by 1/4 mile times.

Buell XB12 = 103hp 84ft-lbs 11.38@117.6 from 1200cc

Then, I would compare it to a foreign bike. I would also have you note that as displacement goes up, the performance goes up, not down as if compared to a Buell.

Triumph Daytona 675 = 110hp 49ft-lbs 10.72@130.0 from 675cc
Suzuki GSX-R750 = 129hp 56ft-lbs 10.47@135.2 from 750cc
Yamaha R1 = 155hp 73ft-lbs 9.77@147.79 from 1000cc

Obviously, from a performance standpoint, there is no comparison. I suppose its not fair to compare a V-Twin, with its massive torque and lower horsepower to an inline multiple cylinder engine, so heres some stats on some foreign V-Twins.

Aprilia RSV 1000 R = 139hp 79lb-ft 10.55@133.3 with 1000cc
Honda RC51 = 119hp 72lb-ft 10.97@128.2 with 1000cc

I would have to say that the raw power and torque of these mean ass bikes are the best aspects of the Buell XB12 motorcycles

I would have to say the 'raw power' of a Buell is about 20 years behind the average foreign sport bike. The majority of 600cc (1/2 of the XB12's 1200cc) foreign sport-bikes produce 10-20hp (nearly 20%) more horsepower than a Buell.

If you know how to ride and use the power you can pull away from a Yamaha R1 with noooo problem.

An XB12 would have a hard time pulling away from a slightly modified Toyota Supra, let alone a foreign sport-bike.

The next thing I would look at is price.

Buell XB12 = $10,495
Triumph Daytona 675 = $8,999
Suzuki GSX-R750 = $9,999
Yamaha R1 = $10,599
Aprilia RSV 1000 R = $13,999
Honda RC51 = $11.999

This is the one category that Buell is competitive in. At least until you see how much performance your getting for your dollar. Plus I don't think I even have to mention the differences in styling. Cause lets be real, if you think the XB12 is good looking, its because you've been spending to many hours sitting at home staring at your wife. And anything that could possibly get you away from that cruel fate looks like a gift from heaven.

Ahh, but there is always the chance that sport-bikes aren't really your thing. Because obviously, if you wanted a sport-bike, you would be buying one built by a foreign company. What you were actually looking for is a younger looking bike, that had the grunt of a Harley but not the styling of one. The bike you were really looking for is not a Buell, but a Triumph. The Rocket III to be more specific. The Rocket III is a British designed 3-cylinder bike, with some very impressive performance numbers.

Triumph Rocket III = 140hp 147lb-ft 11.21@120.5 from a massive 2300cc motor

Whats its price you ask?

Triumph Rocket III - $14,999

A bit more expensive than a Buell, but compared to the base price of a Harley, its a steal. It has more grunt than any American made bike could dream of. It also has a very sleek and refined styling that Harley guys can't even deny as amazing.

Anyways
Now there is some stats for ya.....

-Buell4tl (Buellfortheloss)

Buell4tl
11-23-2006, 03:37 AM
I suppose some people do enjoy the street fighter look of the Buell XB12. If this is the case then I would recommend the Triumph Speed Triple. Stats are below.

Triumph Speed Triple = 130hp 77lb-ft 11.01@122 from 1050cc

Also here is a picture of the bike so you can see the similarities.

http://www.sfondideldesktop.com/Images-Bikes/Triumph/Speed-Triple/Speed-Triple-0007/Speed-Triple-0007.jpg

The price is much more comparable as well.

Triumph Speed Triple = $9,990

BuellPartsGuy
11-23-2006, 05:12 AM
And BadAssBuell, My roommate has a 99 Honda CBR 600 carb bike and he eats me alive after 65mph in the straight lines. Buells aren't made to do the high speeds like the Jap bikes. I would pay money to see any year R1 get spanked by a Buell, because in all reality it wouldn't happen anywhere but the twisties... :)

mezap
02-05-2007, 02:38 AM
Don't use any stats to impress them. Just use the extra money you save on insurance to buy them lunch. If 0 -100 mph is what you want, any of the 4 asian manufacturers are fine. But the reality of it is, as more and more of us piss the wrong people off by screaming around them at 100 mph+, the more we can expect the law to crack down on bikes of all kinds. Theres a point where you have to say "enough, I do this for me, because I enjoy it, and thats what matters". There is such a freedom in that, such a release, because then you start looking at a bike for what its going to be used for. If its touring, buy a bike thats suited for that. If you want to race, buy a racing bike, and go to the track. But if you ride the streets, how much sense does it make to be going over 100 mph? If you get caught, your riding days are OVER, period. And you justify the insurance nazis who want to make certain types of bikes illegal. Trouble is, it won't stop once it starts. Just ask the AMA. I just bought an XB12S, traded an Interceptor for it, and if it turns out to be a reliable bike, I won't have any regrets because I am already seeing the potential for more fun in the curves. I must be honest, I got compliments ALL THE TIME on the interceptor, and Its great for the ego. But when I rode thru the twisties I had to work a lot harder than I should have. The bike was beautiful but weighed over 550 lbs! (Work? I thought I was supposed to be having fun on my day off)So I traded for a bike whose reputation is fun, fun, fun! This is why we ride, no?
Bottom line is, life is so short, you should be living it for God and for you. Buy for you, ride for you, and every time you finish a ride in one piece, thank God. (Besides, I gather from your name that you already know the answer to that question! LOL)

brickcop
02-05-2007, 12:58 PM
I have a 2007 XB12Ss and i is great. I just installed the Original Drummer exhaust along with a K&N air filter and a servo emuulator. Once the computer learned or adjusted for the new pipe (by running at approx. 3000-3500 rpm for about 15 minutes it ran great. I had a 2003 XB9S and this bike is a vastly improved model. It carries more fuel is slightly longer making it more stable with added room, it has a smoother clutch and improved pirelli tires as opposed to dunlops. Once you tweek the suspension settings to your weight its handling is awesome. :)

maybebuell
02-06-2007, 09:37 PM
guess horse power wind races..some of those smaller jap bikes are 60 to 100 feet ahead at the finish,,talk about getting crushed...dont believe the buell time of 11.38..more reality somewhere in the 12s ???

maybebuell
02-06-2007, 10:53 PM
looked at roll on numbers buells against smaller jap bikes 60 to 80 mph and 80 to 100 mph..torque was not that much of a factor as i thought it would be most jap bikes had better times in those rollons..still a buell man

Loki
05-09-2012, 09:04 PM
Bump.

I NEED MOAR STATS! ;) :P

c818919
05-09-2012, 10:16 PM
Lets see....

user_deleted
05-10-2012, 06:58 AM
not a stat but an actual fact: it's 2011 Laconia bike week and weather very nice for a change. 100,000 or more people at Weirs Beach for the evening. bike parking at a premium along main beach street. Forty or more folks mingling at one corner bike-watching. a bevy of "foreign" rice-rockets slowly ride by and not a single head is turned, no notice is given...even the guy who momentarily lights up his rear tire barely draws a glance. in rides myself on my firebolt and my 2 friends on lightnings. all 3 have hawk exhaust and other than that, pretty much all stock XB's. as we park by the corner hangers, half of them immediately break off to come over and admire our buells. i'll put that up against any paper stats any evening of the week.

user_deleted
05-10-2012, 07:01 AM
Bottom line is, life is so short, you should be living it for God and for you. Buy for you, ride for you, and every time you finish a ride in one piece, thank God. (Besides, I gather from your name that you already know the answer to that question! LOL)

brilliantly stated sire!

Blastonia
05-10-2012, 07:42 AM
Sold my softail in 99. Rode rice until this march. From 99 to march not one 'hey, nice bike man'. The first day on my xb i got a 'hey nice bike man'. People just dont notice rice. Its hard not to notice the sound then see the look of the bike. The only stats i know about the bike is that it will pull the gates off hell.

Rhino1
05-10-2012, 09:37 AM
Don't do the stats thing. Buy a Buell because it is unique, American, and has a very cool factor among your fellow bikers. I think they're beautiful in a street fighter/Road Warrior way, and I bought them because I love them. Turns out, many people seem to really like the different styling too as I can't go ANYWHERE without being approached and questioned about the bike--with admiring comments afterward. That's not why I bought it, but I have to admit that it's nice.

Riding it is exceptionally fun. I come from a long line of GSXR1000's, and currently own an Aprilia Mille Factory and a KTM SuperDuke 990R. I enjoy riding my Buell the most. Why? The way it makes power, the relaxed nature of the beast, the feeling of floating (especially with the SS/Penske suspension) yet knowing I have razor-sharp handling on command, and....

The look on my buddie's faces after a nice run through the twisties when they pull their helmets off. Yeah, you just got hammered by a pushrod vtwin-powered bike... :)

captain chaos
05-10-2012, 10:26 AM
Lets get this started! What are the main stats that will impress my friends that ride foreign sport bikes?

You will never impress worshipers of Japanese bikes with stats for a Buell. It doesn't make 200hp, it doesn't go 200mph, it's not the latest and greatest tech.
However, the exact same could be said of the Ducati Monster (to which a Buell compares very favorably) and it's a darn fine bike. A Buell is a naked streetbike (not a supersport) with plenty of power for any responsible rider and handling that is second to none; Nothing more, nothing less.

I'd be willing to bet my life savings that anyone who is hell-bent on "stat sheet racing" doesn't have the skill to fully utilize whatever bike they are talking up anyway.

Also, if you're going to be talking stats, make sure your comparing comperable bikes. A Buell is not a race bike any more than a R6 is a good streetbike. A Buell is a naked/partially faired street bike, like a Ducati Monster, a Suzuki SV650, a Yamaha FZ1, a Kawasaki Z1000, or several others. It compares VERY well to any of them and typically holds the advantage in maintenence simplicity, suspension components, brakes, and handling.

snrusnak
05-10-2012, 10:46 AM
By now he's probably gotten over trying to show off stats and he probably found his answer...

It has been 6 years

LOL nice thread revival Loki[up]

HDGarage
05-10-2012, 04:20 PM
I am 53 and back where I am from in Tn we could get our license at 14 so I have many years of two wheel experience. Most were on oriental bikes but did have a 70's Trident once, still wish I did have it. I currently ride a SuperTT and also have a '08 HD Nightrod Special as well as a '11 Ultra Limited for the wife and I to travel on. If I had to keep just one bike it would be hands down the Buell. Even at 53, I love this bike, wished I had gotten one years ago, I just picked up my 07 back last winter with 1200 miles on it. Eric Buell knows how to build a bike. I ride it to work almost every day now and can't say enough about this bike, will it pull as hard as the Revolution engine, no way but for what it is, American made with an HD engine, I think too many sell these short. Once they ride one they will be hooked. As for looks, I think my TT looks awesome, love the look and no I have not been looking at the wife too much but she looks awesome in my eyes as well!

user_deleted
05-10-2012, 06:25 PM
^[up]

xtremelow
05-11-2012, 05:17 PM
buellxb sold his Buell close to 4yrs ago, with that went any desire for stats

mnbuellrider
05-11-2012, 06:28 PM
Interesting, I know this is an old post. But oh so relevant, buy a buell if it calls to you. I cannot think of any bike I would rather have. Everytime I ride home and come up the windy twisty hill to my house there is no other bike I would rather make the trip on. I may only have an xb9, but there is no other bike right now that stirs my rider soul like this bike. Stats or no stats I could give a crap less. I pull in anywhere and there is no mistaking my bike. Sound looks and feels like something I would have built for myself. I say kudos to Erik and hope in the near future he releases another lightning type model that will inspire me to add to my garage. As far as other street bikes go, if you like them good for you. Everyone has their taste, for the few fellow buellers I have seen I get a special sense of brotherhood that transcends bike ownership. There is just something special about a buell and no I don't mean yellow helmet special. I look forward to meeting more buellers as I tour the countryside and enjoy the hell out of my bike.

mattcreswell
05-13-2012, 09:05 AM
Great source of information, thank you gentlemen!