PDA

View Full Version : Weak battery

Turbooster
05-13-2011, 04:22 PM
I have a new battery in my '06 Ulysses. The Optimate 3 tests it fine outside the bike, but when in the bike it always tests weak. A test done at a bike shop indicated the stator was fine. The 77 plug looks good, also. Any ideas what could be causing this? I would rather not get stranded in some remote place.

TooFst
05-13-2011, 05:52 PM
You can push start if ya had too... I work in an automotive shop, we had a tahoe the other day. Put in a new battery, truck won't start. . Batt tested fine, after about 2 hours of messin around a mechanic working on a different car asked if we Ever tried a different battery. Sure **** fired right up. I guess a battery can have one bad plate and short out on the inside and you will never know. I've wondered why I don't see this more often in motorcycles with all the vibration and all... I'd start with a new battery

Macbuell
05-13-2011, 06:18 PM
easy to test with a volt meter if you lost a plate. If it reads anything other than 12v even with just a LITTLE bit of a charge, you shorted a plate. Depending on how many plates you lost, I think each one is 1.5v