PDA

View Full Version : Firebolt/SCG suspension

diesel
06-19-2008, 02:31 PM
I know there are many posts on lowering Firebolts already, but there seems to be a fair bit of contradictory information as to what does and doesn't need doing.

If I replace the rear shock on my 04 XB12R with the yellow scg one, what exactly needs doing to the front?

Comments seem to vary from nothing, sliding forks, new springs or whole new forks.

Is it as simple as replacing the springs with scg ones? Replacing the whole fork legs seems to be a very expensive option. If replacing the springs works what part nos would I need to order? Would I even need to buy the CG springs or would aftermarket do? I know Alf Hagon sell various length progressive fork spings but would have no idea how I would go about ordering them to match the Firebolt with 12scg shock.

His_and_Her_Buells
06-19-2008, 04:19 PM
Since you're dealing with a 'bolt and don't have to worry about hitting the bars with the top of the fork tube, couldn't you just raise the fork tubes up a little in the triple clamp?

BuellPartsGuy
06-19-2008, 06:11 PM
diesel - If you put the CG shock in the rear, you need the CG forks for the front.

Its cheaper to buy the whole shock as an assembly than it is to replace pieces of the forks. Its not just the spring that are shorter. The tubes are shorter, the sliders are different. Its not as simple as you think.

As far as sliding the forks up in the triple trees, its not an option. When you slide the forks into the triple tree, there is a snap ring that seats against bottom of the upper triple tree.

diesel
06-20-2008, 09:00 AM
Thanks for clarifying that.

Seems to be so many people saying they did it this way or that way, and you start wondering.

I'll start saving for the forks.

ctrucky
08-21-2008, 03:54 PM
Diesel, I did my Lightning this past year. It is also a 04 model. You need the yellow rear, the front forks ONLY, no need to change the trees, and dont forget the kickstand leg only(or you could cut off a little of the stock and re-weld the foot back on)you only need the leg, not the spring or the bolt. If you will post what you are wanting to do, you might find a tall guy on this AWESOME site that wants to change his little short CG to the standard height, then just work out the details with him(ensure you are dealing with a reputable person!!!) OR you can find all this stuff typically on E-bay all the time, and possibly Craigslist, OR possibly(SORRY XBers, but us Buell guys need to stick together!!!)on the badweather site, they are good people too!!!Where are you located? If you are unsure of the mechanics of it all, you might be able to get one of us Buell guys to come by and give you a hand or some tips to make you feel more at ease. Last, if you want to call me at home and I will be glad to talk you through it! 865-981-7996, leave a message and I will call back, my name is Chuck!