PDA

View Full Version : uly x lowering

BuellyBagger
05-18-2011, 07:00 PM
alrite... i have been doin a lil researching. the ulyxt has just under an inch lower grounf clearance than an x. Im short as hell and tired of fightin my x's ride height, but im too cheap to go buy a new bike. so im thinkin the fork springs and rear spring from a xt should fit a 07 x and then id be set (if i can get the parts). Am i thinkin right here?? anyone know if the parts are available???

mailtoome
05-19-2011, 11:14 AM
Check out my pics. U can DIY if your willing n mechanically incline. If u have any questions, Lmk.

BuellyBagger
05-19-2011, 06:14 PM
nice bike mailtoome... i c what u did to lower it and ive seen pre-made brackets to do just that and ive also considered it myself(im not to shaby at fab. i do body and paint for a living). but i also wanna drop the front and i thought of installing higher risers on the bars and sliding the forks up in the trees but ive heard thatll cause head shake so im kinda leanin toward springs but thanx 4 the suggestion...

steve92106
06-15-2011, 01:46 PM
After riding Harleys and having just gotten my Uly XT and ordering the tall saddle for the added leg clearance, I have zero sympathy. I think taller riders get less consideration than shorter riders, especially from Harley designers. OTOH, I now have the low OEM saddle if anyone wants to make an offer. I live in SD. I think they go for $111 new. I don't know how much it lowers the seating position but the tall version added 1.5" over the original stock seat.

jjellyneck
06-15-2011, 07:21 PM
Totally agree with Steve92106. Almost all rider with an inseam longer than 33" is in pain after riding most bikes for awhile.
I also have a low seat and will trade for a high one. Located in Austin, TX.

dmcneil
10-08-2011, 06:21 AM
Hi ijellyneck, I have a 2006 High seat in great condition that I would like to trade for a low seat if you are interested.

ROJ
06-04-2019, 09:39 PM
I have really nice black suede lower seat I would trade for a really nice high seat.

ROJ

njloco
06-05-2019, 02:09 AM
Pictures please !

tleighbell
06-07-2019, 06:40 PM
I have been through this, it is still a work in progress. On my stock 06 with factory low seat, I was on the very tips of my tiptoes at a stop. Manageable but i did tip over a couple of times. After tearing my Achilles tendon in a crash i could no longer manage it. First round was shorter (but stiffer) springs in front and a spacer in the rear shock with a shorter stiffer spring. the bike sat about 1 1/2 inches lower but i did not get the full benefit because the stiffer springs don't sag as much. I have handlebar risers and pulled the forks up through the triple clamps, i think they are now about 12 mm higher than stock. with the rear end lowered as well, there is no negative impact on handling. In fact the bike handles much better on the road now IMHO from being lower, less suspension travel. But the suspension performance is not optimal. I bought forks and shock from an 09 Ss which, based on the published specs, will (I think) put the bike a bit lower than the XT. I have yet to install these. In stock format they may still be a little tall for me. I actually plan to get a good aftermarket shock (probably will have to be custom) to keep the remote pre-load and install better cartridges and springs in the forks. I have a former Ohlins tech guy working on this with access to Ohlins parts. If you are interested i can let you know the setup when i get it done which probably won't be until the fall. for a custom shock you could also try David Behrend at Fast Bike Industries. I have not dealt with him but he was featured in the Motorcyclist article on the Drummer website, he built a custom rear Ohlins shock.

tleighbell
06-07-2019, 06:42 PM
Oh yeah, Twin Motors in the Netherlands can supply a Wilbers shock and can customize the length somewhat. I might try that if i can't get an Ohlins to work.