PDA

View Full Version : New to me '04 XB12R & some help.

copiper
05-22-2011, 03:28 AM
Okay I recently bought a 2004 XB12R with 6000 miles on it. I didn't know about this forum before I did some work(Sorry). The first thing I did was put in a K&N filter.
The stock muffler outlet was rubbing on the idler pulley and created a groove in the pulley, which inturn was just starting to put a line in the drive belt. I replaced the pulley and put in a Jardine slip on while there. I was amazed at how heavy the exhaust was. I have read some posts that you all are not too impressed with the Jardine, did I make a mistake? and do I need a new ECM and who do you reccommend?
Also, with the Jardine you don't use the interactive exhaust, so can you remove the cable from the bike top to bottom?
Thanks I'm sure I will have lots more questions.
Also, tommorrow will do the breather reroute mod.

copiper
05-22-2011, 04:16 AM
Also, I have bought the factory manual but have not been able to find an owners manual any ideas where to get one? The problem I have is how do you adjust the clock? and when I start it and it doesn't turn over on the first shot the clock will reset to 1:00.

McMurphy
05-22-2011, 05:25 AM
Here's the '05 manual, it should have what you're looking for:
http://www.buellforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1724

As for the exhaust, as long as you like the sound of it and it's good performance wise for what you're looking for, then go with it. You can ask 20 people for their opinion on pipes and get 20 different answers. As for me, I'm planning on buying a SpecOps pipe in the next month or two.

With the new filter and exhaust everyone I've seen on here suggests a remap. It's possible to remap the stock ECM, and there's a sticky on it in the DIY section. That's about all I can say on it since I've never worked with one before, and I'm not home to fiddle with learning it until next month.

As for the cable from the exhaust, you should be able to remove it without any adverse effects. But I'm pretty sure it'll leave your check engine light on. There's a replacement cable for sale on American Sport Bike that tricks the computer into thinking there is still a valve so that the light doesn't come on.

As for the clock resetting, I don't have a clue. I think mine does the same thing, not 100% sure.

gunut75
05-22-2011, 06:21 AM
For the clock reset, clean your battery terminals. With sandpaper clean. That temporary cut-out of power will get worse, and you will think something is very wrong. Clean em twice a season.

copiper
05-22-2011, 07:19 PM
I was thinking of just getting a new battery. I was looking at the Odyssey any thoughts?

Also, I just finished the breather reroute and I do notice a difference in low speed idle.

Does EBR still do the ECM replace with the Jardine exhaust now that HD pulled the plug?

Thanks for the help and patience.

Oldgit
11-21-2011, 03:24 AM
Sorry to necro this post. I have the same issue with the clock. To start I need to blip the starter, let the pump wind down, then start it proper. This usually resets the clock to 1:00. To reset the time press M and R a couple of secs until the clock flashes, then M to change hour, R to change minute. Press M and R together to finish.

You need a new battery, but I think you already guessed that ;) I'm replacing mine too.