PDA

View Full Version : Good price? other questions

sradek
06-22-2008, 10:49 PM
I have a 2007 FJR1300 for about a year now and I am considering a switch to a lighter sportier bike ...

I have never ridden a buell before. I have tested out the Suzuki V-Strom and want to try the BMW 1200GS.

A NJ local seller has a 2006 Ulysses (XB12X), black, 600 mi. Selling for $6500 with optional low seat. Bike's title shows purchase in June 2007.

Test rode this Ulysses today and it was a blast!
Is this a good price?

Other questions:
1. Does the bike normally shake like that below 2000 rpm? (I have owned a V-MAX, so I have some idea about shakes ... but handling on the buell was great, unlike the V-MAX)
2. Do the optional sidebags and top case make the bike unstable at highway speeds?
3. I felt the brakes not as strong as the FJR's ... is this your experience or something is wrong here?
3. The exhaust headers are totally discolored on this bike. Is this normal and can they be brought into original shining state?
4. What useful accessories do you start with? (yes, I love gadgets and gizmos!)

Will check back with your replies .
Thanks a lot!

dave_xb12r
06-23-2008, 04:33 AM
The price sounds good to me. The one thing I would be concerned about is how it was broken in. Normally XB12x's aren't owned buy the young and careless type, but the fact that its used always makes me wounder how the previous owner treated it. See if the dealer will throw in some kind of extended warranty.

Yes other buells shake at low RPM too.

The discoloring shouldn't be that bad if it only has 600 miles, but it should be a bit discolored. If you are concerned about it, you could always have it ceramic coated.

Start with the breather hose re-route mod.

His_and_Her_Buells
06-23-2008, 05:13 AM
Definitely sounds like a fair price.

1. Yes
2. No, this bike is made for long highway cruises (as well as the occasional offroad jaunt)
3. No experienc w/FJRs and tbere braking abilities.
3. concur w/dave_xb12r
4. If you're doing a lot of highway riding a GPS would be a good gagdet to have, otherwise the typical performance mods that can be found here are always fun to tinker with.

LeFox
06-23-2008, 07:57 AM
1. Does the bike normally shake like that below 2000 rpm? (I have owned a V-MAX, so I have some idea about shakes ... but handling on the buell was great, unlike the V-MAX)
yes, but a breather re-route and when upgraded further an ecm remap will solve that problem.

2. Do the optional sidebags and top case make the bike unstable at highway speeds?
nope since you have the same sizes on both sides = same wind resistance.

3. I felt the brakes not as strong as the FJR's ... is this your experience or something is wrong here?
not many bikes will have better standard brakes than a yamaha. :o
changing pads and so on will improve it's power and feel, but they have enough stopping power as is.

3. The exhaust headers are totally discolored on this bike. Is this normal and can they be brought into original shining state?
you can polish them, wrap them, coat them, etc...;)

4. What useful accessories do you start with? (yes, I love gadgets and gizmos!)
there is alot of aftermarket stuff you can equip your bike with.

sradek
06-23-2008, 12:37 PM
Thanks for your responses.

This one is a private seller and not a dealer, so not likely to get a warranty. Anyone on this forum in central NJ Woodbridge area, who is a XB12 expert enough to check the bike? (Local HD dealers don't know much about the Buell, except they "heard" of it! [confused]

The seller wants to sell the bike by end of this week. He seemed decent enough (for what it's worth), but no way to know if the break-in was done ok.

Earliest check could be on a friday evening or saturday.

Please let me know. Any other option to check the bike? I am mechanical if you direct me to check specifics.

LeFox
06-23-2008, 02:14 PM
well at 600miles, the 1st service isn't even done yet...so nothing much to check in that area.

just check belt for tears (stone damage), oil (engine, brakes, etc), brake-pads, etc. etc.

;)

His_and_Her_Buells
06-23-2008, 05:49 PM
so not likely to get a warranty

If he bought it new in June of 07 warranty will be for 2 years from sale date. Give the VIN to a Buell dealer and they can tell you the experation date of the warranty.

LeFox
06-23-2008, 08:24 PM
If he bought it new in June of 07 warranty will be for 2 years from sale date. Give the VIN to a Buell dealer and they can tell you the experation date of the warranty.
don't know how it works on your side of the pond, but you don't get warranty when buying used...unless it's off a dealer, then you get about 6 months. :o

His_and_Her_Buells
06-24-2008, 03:25 AM
Laws here dictate that warranty is for full duration no matter how many time it changes hands, as long as it hasn't been totaled and has a junk or salvage title.

midlifecrisis
06-24-2008, 05:36 AM
As long as the break in was decent you'll be real happy with ANY XB. The Uly is gonna be more comfy than my Firebolt for sure (sometimes wish I'd bought the Uly). Pre welcome to Buelland sradek and I'm down in Ocean County. Search the Jersey Buellers thread and make a post there. Maybe we can get together this summer in a statewide kinda thing.