PDA

View Full Version : 06 ulysses suggestions.

steller
06-24-2008, 11:28 AM
hey guys and gals.
i just purchased an 06 uly. pretty much stock with barnett racing clutch, jardine exhaust and a lower seat. came with a racing ecm that the guy had tried to install but said it ran like crap after, but after some research he never had the throttle position sensor recalbirated so that would be why. so my questions are is the ecm racing chip worth putting in? and i read about getting a direct-link done, after doing a few upgrades is this also worth doing and what are the major benefits? has anyone tried the lower handle bars and if so did you like them? any other ideas you guys may have to add to my uly would be awesome. so far i absolutely love my uly, its by far the coolest bike on the road.

LeFox
06-24-2008, 12:47 PM
i would suggest adding an open airbox with breather re-route, installing the race ecm and then doing a reset.
the bike will feel totally different...smoother, more power.

if you have the option to do a remap, that is always a better solution to the race ecm.
you can even sell your ecm and use that money to pay for the remap...you'll even have some change in your pocket afterwards. :p

steller
06-25-2008, 03:12 AM
really. your saying just take it in, and get them to remap the bike instead of putting in the ecm. even with the upgrades he did to it prior. i was told the race ecm was the bomb. and i dont really understand how remapping the bike instead of installing a race chip would be more of an upgrade. but iam totally all ears. see its been stuttering a bit and a fair bit of back firing when let off the throttle. and the gent i talked with said it was prolly cuz he didnt remap after he put the exhaust in and the K&N filter. huh. cool all you old buell masters are welcome to teach me. lol. please.

His_and_Her_Buells
06-25-2008, 04:11 AM
Race ecm is really nothing more than a remapped stock ecm. It is mapped specifically to go with the race filter and race exhaust. Since you have a Jardin even the race ecm can use a little tweaking (especially if you open the airbox). As far as lowering your bars, how low do you want to go? Stock lightning or CityX bars will lower it some, aftermarket bars with a lower rise will get you down even farther without much hassle or expense. Crossroads from americansportbike.com (my personal favorite) get you dowm to nearly a clip on but cost $250+ and will require new throttle cables to keep from binding.

LeFox
06-25-2008, 10:55 AM
really. your saying just take it in, and get them to remap the bike instead of putting in the ecm. even with the upgrades he did to it prior. i was told the race ecm was the bomb. and i dont really understand how remapping the bike instead of installing a race chip would be more of an upgrade.
because of environmental reasons, even a standard bike could do with some more fuel, to get it to perform better.

here's how the race ecm/remap works...
the race ecm is part of the original buell race kit which they are no longer allowed to make. This means that the race ecm is developed on the k&n highflow airfilter and the original buell race muffler.

because more air can get into the engine and can flow back out with this setup, the air/fuel mixture needs some spicing up. this is where the race ecm comes in.

since you have a k&n & jardine and not a buell race muffler...it is best to make your own race ecm by putting another map into your ecm that is developed for your setup.

not to mention that not all engines are the same.
2 bikes with the same setup and remap doesn't necessarily they will perform the same...:o

you can read some more about stock vs. race vs. remap in this thread: ecm required with slip-on? (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Buell-Firebolt-XB12-XB9/ecm-required-with-a-slip-on)

steller
06-25-2008, 11:26 AM
awesome, thanks so much guys. i think im gonna be taking my bike down to the states this weekend i hope, and get it remapped. the harley shop in minot can do this for me. thanks again. keep the insight comin i love it. [up]