PDA

View Full Version : Cooling fan predicament

telecolin
06-18-2011, 03:01 PM
I recently have been having problems with my 06 uly cooling fan. I ran a fan diagnostic in ecmspy when cold and it worked many times in a row. when I ride the bike the fan never comes on even in florida summer weather and sitting in traffic. I have a right hand air scoop which probably keeps it cool enough while riding. when I turn the bike off the fan comes on after about five minutes but sometimes it stutters and slows and speeds up randomly. after my last ride I ran another fan diagnostic when hot and it worked the first time but every time I tried it after that it wouldn't come on. I cant figure out whether I need a new fan, whether I have a problem with the wiring, or whether its a problem with the ECM. Please help!!

Stevenc150
06-20-2011, 07:20 AM
Could be a faulty engine temp. sensor. Try watching the engine temp. in ECMSpy after a ride to see if it fluctuates/jumps up and down by a lot.

jimijeans
06-21-2011, 01:32 AM
Yes Stevenc150 is right.The fan temp is in the rear head at the top. check for a chafed wire along the top area.The Temperature Sensor is only about 45.bucks or so. but check your wires on top of the rear head first.The plug connector on the fan also can get corroded and the terminals check that just to be sure.But it does from your post sound like the Sensor is Failing.If you put this repair off and keep riding the bike it will fry the rear cylinder beyond repair.Small trips or not the bike cannot make it without that fan.The sensor making the fan run erraticly will burn up the fan as well,It's a 2 speed fan and pulsing will burn it up. You may need a socket like an o2 sensor for the wire to remove it. Take your time,you'll get it! Good luck.*Jimi

telecolin
06-22-2011, 03:43 AM
I went for a ride while logging from ECMSPY and the temperature never had any fluctuations or strage things happen so I don't think its the temp sensor. I pulled everything apart and the wires are good. I have ordered a new fan so hopefully that will fix the problem!!

Petrus
09-29-2011, 02:12 AM
So, I'm kinda curious if your new fan did the trick?

bikepilot
09-29-2011, 04:21 AM
Its easy enough to diagnose without throwing parts at it, just put a volt meter on the fan terminals while its screwing up. If its a wiring problem you'll see it. If the fan is getting proper voltage, but not spinning as it should, then the fan is bad.

telecolin
12-18-2011, 09:35 AM
update: I installed the new fan and the problem went away! I've ridden it about 100 miles since and have had no issues. Between cleaning the ground points and replacing the fan it seems to have fixed it!