PDA

View Full Version : 03 xb9 WON'T SHIFT. stuck in 5th.

eubanks
06-30-2008, 12:19 AM
hey guys. just got an 03 lightning xb9sl... from a lousy scam of a dealership that i don't want to go back to.

anyways, after an experienced rider friend rode it today (said he got it up to about 120)... it won't shift down from 5th. i'm afraid that he may have assumed there was another gear and tried hard to click it up and broke something. but can't see anything broken in there. any tips? (other than don't let anyone else ride your bike, don't need to hear that crap.) thanks guys.

LeFox
06-30-2008, 09:25 AM
is there any movement @ the lever?
how's your oil?

does it start & run with clutch in? how does it sound?

eubanks
06-30-2008, 03:05 PM
thanks for responding.

the lever won't move up (feels like it's in 5th, feels right)... but when it moves down, it moves down the correct amount to downshift but does nothing.

looking through the inspection plate, you can see the fork that lever moves hit a solid peice and stop after moving down that amount.

checked the oil and it looks ok, but i'm not very experienced in any of this.

and yeah it starts and runs perfectly, clutch works well. and it sounds fine... i can even ease out on the clutch and get it up and down the road just in 5th, but that didn't help to shift it either.

LeFox
06-30-2008, 04:01 PM
could be a spring from the shifter return...but then again, could be a bunch of things.

if your don't trust the dealer from which you bought it, i would suggest that you find another in your neighbourhood.