PDA

View Full Version : Locks with/out Alarm - what type is best

rhogan
06-30-2008, 11:52 PM
Hi - just purchased my first ever motorcycle - 2003 Buell XB9S and have basic questions on what is the best lock to use for security...One that clamps onto the just the front disc? or just the rear disc? or on each disc? Or is a 6' chain the best option? With or without an alarm? I have to park my bike outside and I live on the 3rd floor. Thanks for your advice to this "rookie".

ophawk
07-01-2008, 05:36 AM
Welcome rhogan,
I was parked at an extended stay hotel, when three guys tried to snatch my ride. They succeeded in messing up the steering head lock, and breaking a front turn signal, and bending a frame gusset. I didn't have a disc or chain on it. I do now have a Scorpio alarm from Aritronix. They are here locally in Phoenix. I believe that if I had it on the bike then I wouldn't of had the mess that was left after the theft attempt. The alarm is pricey, but if I am around I can hear it or the remote as it is two way.

LeFox
07-01-2008, 06:38 AM
i would suggest a combo of
1. a chain, so you can lock your bike to something and not just lift the bike and load it
2. brake-rotor lock, with 'reminder-wire' to handlebar, so you never forget that it's on and try to ride off.

an alarm is also a way to go, as added security, but some seem to have an attitude and just cause extra troubles.

BuellPartsGuy
07-01-2008, 03:44 PM
I guess I am a little different when it comes to this kind of thing. This is one of the things I pay insurance for. Let them take it. I'll get another, better one. Just make sure to get the aftermarket coverage and document all your mods with receipts and pictures.

Yeah, its a pain when they do take it initially, but like I said, you may come out of it better in the long run.

LeFox
07-01-2008, 07:56 PM
yea, i never lock mine, but i would understand the people who would ;)

rhogan
07-01-2008, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the quick replies..the "reminder-wire" is a gr8 tip! I can understand your comment on the insurance but how many times do you let them take your bike and how many times before your insurance company drops you? My thought is that a thief would rather take a bike with no alarm or chain, and pass on one that does. Of course, any motivated crook will steal regardless but why make it too easy for him/them?

Bill
07-03-2008, 12:17 AM
If you do get a disk lock, get one with a built-in alarm. It may not do much to scare away a thief, but it will remind you when you forget to take it off before a ride!

xnewethicx
01-27-2009, 06:22 PM
I guess I am a little different when it comes to this kind of thing. This is one of the things I pay insurance for. Let them take it. I'll get another, better one. Just make sure to get the aftermarket coverage and document all your mods with receipts and pictures.

Yeah, its a pain when they do take it initially, but like I said, you may come out of it better in the long run.

My '03 XB9R was stolen Nov 6th, 2008. I was PISSED! In the long run, the insurance did take care of it, and I ended up getting the exact twin of my bike from a guy I met here in town at a bike night, for about $1000 less than insurance valued my bike at.The only differences? The "new" one has about 3,000 fewer miles than mine did, and about $1500 in race parts installed :) I did break out a 6' chain and bought an alarm for this new one tho... don't want to go through that again!

BuellPartsGuy
01-27-2009, 11:07 PM
See, bad things don't always end up being bad in the long run.....

Crash_Burn05
01-28-2009, 12:31 AM
The best anti theft device I can think of would be a cover, out of sight, out of mind.

Odin
01-29-2009, 04:12 AM
way late in some replies but I agree with BPG. i'm not worried. if someone wants anything bad enough (bike or some other object) they'll attempt, and perhaps succeed in stealing it. I'd like to think that's what my insurance would be for. and as was stated, get something else, or newer at that point.
i can't be worried about it.

HMTRAN
11-15-2012, 11:11 AM
LoJack ;)

Route0766
11-15-2012, 11:23 AM
I recomend XENA Security Disc alarm locks !
null (http://www.xenasecurity.com/home/current/lock_us/)

:)

stensg
11-15-2012, 11:45 AM
this saved my sv650 while in Phoenix (http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=370271051307&index=23&nav=WATCHING&nid=13605246769)

deathandtexas
11-15-2012, 02:30 PM
I second the XENA disc locks (you can get one with or without an alarm). Put it on the rear disc.

XRorXB
11-15-2012, 03:22 PM
This is interested because a co-worker was just asking me today if I worry about my bike being stolen (he's totally ga ga over mine).

I always lock the steering. But whether or not I do that or use a disc lock, someone can still throw it onto a trailer. I view them as deterrents only.

I have that same Scorpio alarm but rarely used it because when I crank the engine, the stupid "compression" bump drops the batt. voltage so low that the alarm thought it had just been powered on and would go off in around 30 sec. (or whatever the default behavior is). Very annoying and often unpredictable.

^^ Said differently, the security method, whatever it is, has to be practical or I don't use it.

stensg
11-15-2012, 03:59 PM
The alarm shouldn't go off if the key fob is near the bike and the system should have a back up battery to prevent that from happening

GAXB9R
11-15-2012, 06:26 PM
I thought this was a new thread. Good points either way.:D

CityBoiX5020
11-15-2012, 11:02 PM
I third Xena. I have the XN-18 model I believe and it is loud AF, and heavy duty. Luckily no one has tried to put it to the test but I'm sure it would scream their ear drums out if someone tried. It's pricey though.

Route0766
11-16-2012, 09:43 AM
I will post a photo of my to XENA's later today...

GAXB9R
11-16-2012, 10:42 AM
Xena[up]

jimijeans
11-19-2012, 08:28 PM
Yes on the 3rd Floor! a Xena is a good investment for you will hear the Alarm also when you park it for the End of your day the Disc Lock for the Front or Rear is a good way to go as well. No ONE likes to come out and find it GONE! To Avert peepers with Stealing Eyes A Motorcycle cover is also helpful ans most don't look twice due to the trouble of getting caught looking under and so on.
Never make it so easy that you get laughed at by the Crooks While they are Removing your Property. Most times when someone Hasn't ever Lost a Vehicle it won't really Register till it happens. Then it does! Most people that put time into a project no matter what it is take more care than some do.
A Simple Motorcycle Approved Disc Lock will give you the peace of mind (hopefully) need way up on the #3,rd Floor. Suggestion/ Harbor Freight has a Simple Camera you could Point through your window down at your Property. A Inexpensive way to use the Video Plug in the back of your TV. Good Luck.*Jimi

sparky300
11-19-2012, 09:02 PM
I have the Xena xx14 on the rear disc, $ well spent, no nuisance alarms but it is VERY sensitive if someone even touches my bike, scared the crap outta the neighbor kids a few times. Look, but DON'T TOUCH :D

HangMan
11-20-2012, 07:31 AM
the xena alarm locks are pretty good but don't get the cheap entry level one like i did or the first time it gets wet you'll have it randomly going off the rest of the time you own it. I'll lock her up, making sure it is settled completely (not going to shift or anything) and walk away and about 30% of the time i won't get more than 15 steps away before i hear it going off.

I assume, or at least hope, that the nicer ones don't have that problem

Route0766
11-20-2012, 09:35 AM
I love my XENAs.

Vash The Stampede
12-19-2012, 09:19 AM
Alarms, wheel locks, etc. Like stated before, all of those are deterents only. My 2009 XB9SX was stolen from right outside our apartment between 2-8 in the morning on the 4th of July this year. Found out from the cops that these guys have a very simple, effective and most of all FAST way of taking your ride. They pull up with a trailer, right next to the bike, two, even one guy gets out on the othe side and pushes your ride over on its side and then holds it in place while the driver hauls-a** out of there. Takes 45 seconds max (with a decent enough driver and a strong arm that's quick getting out). Thank you God, 2 months later I get a call from the cops saying they found my ride. After checking it out (it's in one piece... more or less) I can tell that is exactly what happened. Fellow Buellies, watch out for your rides, because the next day they could be gone. Right now I have at least $300 worth of parts to buy to get my ride back to close to factory...