PDA

View Full Version : clarification needed...

nemesis_buell
06-23-2011, 09:38 PM
So over the winter I sort of opened up my air box and also installed a K&N air filter. Obviously my air to fuel mixture is a lot different now and I think I need to have it tuned to prevent wear and tear on the engine. I'm pretty sure its been running hot since the mods. I contacted my local HD dealer to have it dyno-tuned. After figuring out if they could even tune buells they said I have to buy a tuner and bring the bike to them. This doesn't really seem right to me. pretty much WTF do I need to do? Any advice would be appreciated.

On a side note, these people always look at me when I go in there like "oh there's another one of those people who didnt buy a $30,000 dollar harley, effin buell rider" They have the rudest people in there service department i've ever encountered in a public establishment. Its seriously unreal.

nemesis_buell
06-23-2011, 09:44 PM
oh yeah, its a 2007 xb12r

wolfo68
06-23-2011, 09:44 PM
buy a cable and we can probably help you off of here

J_Undisputed
06-24-2011, 04:38 AM
You'll get that attitude at the dealer. The parts guy in Harley over here always finds a reason to go back into the storeroom when he sees me coming or drag things out with the customers before me. He can never find the parts in the book, unless its something simple like an oil filter.. Everything else, he goes.."fuel injected, right?" and then shakes his head.
They're suggesting you get one of those slap on tuners like power commander. It tacks on the difference to supplement the fuel values in your maps that are already configured by the bike. Many guys on here are Tuning by hand so to speak. It involves connecting the ECM to a laptop, datalogging (riding around --instead of using a dyno-- and recording what the bike requires at different stages of throttle position, rpms and conditions and adjusting the actual fuel values of the map to match those requirements.)
I guess each has its benefits. With most slap on tuners, they are just supplementing. So once they're removed, the bike goes back to how it was.
Datalogging and tweaking your maps via the tuning apps used by most of the guys on this forum, involves a few passes, but is less expensive than a dynoing (unless you have a hookup). It also tailors the bike to how you ride. If choosing the latter, I would invest in getting some proper guidance as you are tinkering with the fuel injection system and will effect how the bike runs. You can always save your original configuration and revert to it as a bit of a safety net. Look up a forum member called The Octopus. He does tuning webinars. It will allow you to then tune whenever you like, once you get the method down and eliminate things like dead spots in your power band, popping on deceleration, etc.

wally
06-24-2011, 04:57 AM
it is really unfortunate, as i have been getting great service from my local HD dealer - like i did buy a $30,000 Harley!

SRatcliff
06-24-2011, 05:58 AM
On your side note. I am lucky enough to know a master harley tech very well and he handles all of my bikes at his house. I wish you all knew someone like that...those dicks at HD should be ashamed.

netty2424
06-24-2011, 06:12 AM
I guess each has its benefits. With most slap on tuners, they are just supplementing. So once they're removed, the bike goes back to how it was.

I'm glad this has come up. After inquiring about dyno tuning at my local HD, they asked me the same, if I had a power commander. I've never tuned anything and wasn't familiar with the pwr commander.

So thanks for your patience due to my lack of education on the topic, but per the quote above, i guess I don't understand the purpose of the pwr commander? You said your bike reverts back after it's removed? Is this only used during the dyne tune, or left on the bike for lack better terms to replace the original ECM?

And is the pwr commander just a short cut for the HD so they don't have to really do the work? Can it be done without it?

Thanks

Richard

freak2180
06-24-2011, 08:13 AM
MOst HD shops dont have a dyno or even the smarts to run one. Recomending somthing such as a power comander is just there way of saying "Im stupid and have no clue about what you are asking". Really you have 3 options that seem to be the best ideas.
1. learn to tune your bike youeself.
2. buy a ecm thats tuned fairly close to your setups and be happy.
3. Be happy with the stock tune.

My bike is Stock with the exception of my drummer SS and she runs fine on the stock ECM. Could she be better.....probably, but Im good and she seems happy.

J_Undisputed
06-24-2011, 10:03 AM
Yeah Power commander is left on the the bike, like a piggy backing supplementary device that adds fuel in small doses to where it feels needed in the map. Very popular with a lot of the Jap bike owners I know. Its the same concept as tuning, but I don't know how exact it is or if you could tweak it or anything.

Like Freak said, it's the some of the Harley's way of avoiding the issue in a way or getting off with an easy fix. If something goes wrong they can blame the manufacturer. Tuning and Fuel injection seems to be a science they'd rather not mess with. Most of them are more happy with the one and done services. They do it... you pay... you leave. They don't have to hear about every little pop, deadspot or unsmooth powerband. Most HD dealers would prefer to tell you that all Buells pop on a decel; it was the choice you made when you didn't buy a Harley and leave it that. At least that's been my experience. There are some HD's that have Dynos and offer full services. I haven't seen one around here.I contacted 4, only one gets me parts and performs services (but openly reluctant), the others don't want anything to do with my bike. At least I got compliments on my Buell from the techs at a Suzuki/Honda/ Yamaha Dealer where I got it inspected.

netty2424
06-24-2011, 12:04 PM
So is a dobeck tfi essentially a power commander?

The HD close to me has a dyno and there's a mechanic there that owns a buell. Hopefully they'll be a little more receptive and willing to do the right thing.

J_Undisputed
06-24-2011, 01:09 PM
Yeah.. Dobeck is essentially the same thing.

You know that tech had to have put his Buell up on that thing.. even at the end of the day or a Sunday when no one was watching .. lol . If they're not as willing, talk to Octo about a class or a lesson. All you'll need is a laptop and road...

netty2424
06-24-2011, 02:54 PM
Thanks J.

You know that tech had to have put his Buell up on that thing that's what I'm thinking! I haven't talked with him specifically, only the service guys at the desk.

Sorry nemesis_Buell for the slight thread jack.

On a side note, these people always look at me when I go in there like "oh there's another one of those people who didnt buy a $30,000 dollar harley, effin buell rider"Â* They have the rudest people in there service department i've ever encountered in a public establishment.Â* Its seriously unreal.

The service end of car dealerships is a freaking cash cow, I'm guessing it's the same for HD. I agree with you on your quote. But it would seem they'd welcome the business considering.

Richard

canucklovingbrit
06-24-2011, 03:17 PM
They have the rudest people in there service department i've ever encountered in a public establishment. Its seriously unreal.

I see that so often about HD dealerships in the US, but I have to say in my experience, the opposite applies to Trev Deeley's up here in Vancouver, BC. They were SO helpful with several warranty claims I made on my 12R, and always really welcoming and polite. From the General Manager down, they are actually huge Buell fans and were genuinely pissed off when HD killed the Buell brand. The Service Manager Kimberley is (or was) a Buell rider, and they even support a race team running XB12R's. All that said, they wanted to charge me $68 plus tax for frame pucks last week, so I ordered from Surdyke for $48, delivered! But that still doesn't make them bad people!