PDA

View Full Version : Flat Tire. Patch ?

riding_tall
07-03-2008, 02:03 AM
Got a flat today on the way home from work. :( luckly it happened just as I was getting off the highway and it's in the back tire. Weird feeling, as I leaned into the off-ramp turn it wanted to stand-up BAD .. pulled to the side and by the time I was slowed down the rear was all over the place. Stopped an the rear was totally flat. Question is, Is a patch safe ? Tire has about 3,500 miles on it. I won't do a plug but not sure about a patch. If it was a auto I'd have no issue with a patch but on a bike the tire is very VERY important and I don't want to take any chance's there. Weird Day .. My son came with the ramp's and my wife brought the truck .. when my son went to start his car after we loaded the bike and the battery in his car exploded !!!! sounded like a gunshot .. never saw that before. Weird day all around.

Devlsmurf
07-03-2008, 03:39 AM
In my experience....Patches are a good quick or short term fix, until you have the time or money to replace the tire all together. Like you said, the tire is a VERY important part. I had gotten a flat when I came out to my old Yamaha and patched it. Lasted me about 800 miles until it blew out..which as you said is a pretty strange sensation, especially if you happen to be pretty steep into a curve at the time :)

LeFox
07-03-2008, 02:26 PM
get it to a tire shop and they will vulcanise it for you.

it's either that or a new tire.

riding_tall
07-04-2008, 04:02 PM
Got a new rear tire. replaced it with another Dunlop.

TPEHAK
05-03-2018, 05:42 AM
I patched my rear tire with car patch rope plug many miles ago and today it has deflated again. Likely it happened right when I had arrived home. I found the old patch has hole right in the middle. So now I'm going to replace the tire, I do not want to patch it again because it looks like this fix does not last forever.

If I will puncture the new tire I will probably try another kind of path installed inside the tire, not car tire patch rope plug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mflq7WD0V6o

njloco
05-03-2018, 12:11 PM
First off, this original post is only ten years old.

Second, I plugged a brand new tire on my triumph, It lasted over 10 thousand miles !

Third, if your worried about it blowing out, use Ride-On, great stuff and that is what I attribute the tire lasting so long though, the Ride-On wasn't put into the tire right away.

user_deleted
05-03-2018, 05:00 PM
the trucking industry folks know more about repairing extremely expensive tires than anyone on here will in 30 life-times. as they say "a plug is to get you home. an inside hot or chemical patch is for life."

Outlaw
05-03-2018, 11:53 PM
^^^^ the truth has been spoken .

TPEHAK
05-04-2018, 04:06 AM
Before I found the rear tire is flat I starter feeling some unusual heaviness of steering at low speed, I had to add more force on handle bar to prevent the handle bar to turn further more during turning. So if you feel unusual force you have to apply on handle bar to hold it straight or at particular angle at low speed check you rear tire.

The disadvantage of wider rear wheel is that it has more chances to hit the nail than narrow wheel because of it covers more road area. The advantage of wider rear wheel is that it is more informative than narrow rear wheel.

https://image.ibb.co/hmwQg7/IMAG0988.jpg

https://image.ibb.co/m0otZS/IMAG0991.jpg

Cooter
05-04-2018, 06:05 AM
You should just put a car tire on the back. You've never leaned over anyway.:angel:

user_deleted
05-04-2018, 10:58 AM
The disadvantage of wider rear wheel is that it has more chances to hit the nail than narrow wheel because of it covers more road area. The advantage of wider rear wheel is that it is more informative than narrow rear wheel.

where in Gods' name do you come up with this crap?

Outlaw
05-04-2018, 11:19 AM
Engineering school