PDA

View Full Version : Ulysses Oil Leak

backroadbiker
07-05-2011, 12:09 PM
Help. I just came back from a nice ride and noticed, after parking the bike, an oil drip landing on the rear shock and pooling on the rear fender indent. Not a lot and doesn't seem to have left a spray pattern as if it was leaking during movement. I can't see where from the back of the rear cylinder it is coming from. As the local Harkley dealers have bailed on Buell, I'm left with transporting several hours or doing this fix myself. Any help would be appreciated.:(

jakestolar
07-05-2011, 12:31 PM
PICTURES!!!

backroadbiker
07-06-2011, 01:39 PM
I'll pull it apart this weekend and see where it's coming from. Pictures are not easy as it's up above the shock. Always worked on Japanese bikes, first twin I've ever owned.

2004xb12s
07-06-2011, 01:56 PM
Do you think it came from the shock? Is the oil clean? Dirty? Is it oil?

lifeisafractal
07-06-2011, 02:23 PM
possibly could be the rocker box gasket. These are known to fail (especially if you don't let the bike warm up) even at low millage (7k-20k not uncommon). From your description and from looking at a pic of a uly, it seems likely, but its hard to tell without removing the rear shock to check the back of the rear cylinder. Just my $0.02.

sk8ace
07-06-2011, 02:24 PM
Probably the same problem as me. Check your PCV valve and grommet on top of the rear cylinder valve cover. I have oil squirting out of there every time I ride... makes such a mess! Ordering a new grommet and valve today.

backroadbiker
07-06-2011, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the responses. It is clean oil though I'm using a synthetic for the first time and was thrown off by it not smelling the same. ( yes, my fellow mechanics use to tease me by diagnosing car ailments by smell)It is hard to see up in there but I like at least your help as it gives me direction. In any case, I like this bike a lot and want to keep it. WIll keep you posted. Any of you in the Cooperstown, NY area needing a place to crash, drop me a line. Glad to repay the favor.

backroadbiker
07-28-2011, 09:51 AM
Turns out it was the rear shock. Waiting on a new one. Thanks again.