PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust/header wrap question

xtreme
07-06-2011, 05:42 PM
So I pulled my stock exhaust off to prepare to wrap my headers and put on the new pipe. First off I noticed some kind of anti seize or something when puling the pipe off from the header. What is it and do I need to apply more when replace the new pipe.

Question #2 I will be wrap my header with DEI Titanium wrap. Is there any need to wet this stuff? should I use plastic zip ties to hold in place while wrapping? Lastly does it do a burn off like normal heat wrap?

Thanks in advance. I did a search but unable to find exactly what I needed.

Thaloc
07-06-2011, 05:44 PM
I didnt use the titanium stuff, but I imagine you still need to wet it for best results. If you keep tension on it you wont need the plastic zip ties, I didnt use them and my wrap has held for two years now. And yes if it still has fiberglass in the wrap it will burn when you first start it.

I suggest gloves and a painters mask, you dont wanna get that **** on your hands or in your throat.

GL!

oh9bolt
07-06-2011, 05:50 PM
Titanium you do not wet, and get 50' or more for a good wrap I use hose clamp to hold the wrap on they also make metal zipties or wire ties to hold it on. It will smoke for a few minutes after start up.

oh9bolt
07-06-2011, 05:51 PM
Oh and there was no dust or dirty hands when I installed it on armymp09s bike it is the way to go I wish I would have bought titanium from the start

zdawg123
07-06-2011, 07:21 PM
This might help my friend

http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Buell-1125CR/1125-Headers-Wrapped

Oakes_86
07-06-2011, 08:00 PM
It's a lot easier if you have a buddy helping ya that way one can hold the tension while the other pulls it through.

xtreme
07-07-2011, 03:33 AM
Thanks guys. My intentions are to mount my header in a vice, so I can pull the wrap tight.

xtremelow
07-07-2011, 04:36 AM
You dont have to wet the wrap but it helps to get an even and tight wrap if you do, a dry wrap will not wrap as tight as dry no matter how you wrap it. If dry the wrap will not have the "spring" wet wrap will to help pull and tighten onto itself.

wet the wrap on my header 2 yrs ago and it still looks just the same 6,000mi later

then
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/520_20091025153738_L.jpg

now
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/520_20110706224116_L.jpg

oh9bolt
07-07-2011, 05:23 AM
Once again titanium you do not wet, when you get the wrap it has directions of not to wet wrap.

xtremelow
07-07-2011, 05:38 AM
The reason they state to not wet the wrap is to keep any water from getting trapped against the header and causing rust, but I don't understand how that little bit of water wont evaporate the first time you run your bike, or how it makes a difference if you get caught in the rain just one time and the wrap gets soaked any way.

So why not wet it to get a better fit? Titanium wrap is more pliable but it will eventually get wet no matter what you do, and once it drys there is much more of a chance it will loosen and slip on the pipe

xtreme
07-07-2011, 05:44 AM
Thanks, I will play around with it.

So any input on the antiseize or whatever it is that meets the header to the pipe???

xb wanted
07-07-2011, 11:15 PM
So when I get my bike do I need to wrap the headers? Can someone explain real quick what it does?

TooFst
07-07-2011, 11:31 PM
When I took my jardine apart to repack it the first time there was a silicone like rubber in there. Prob. the same/ similar to the stuff you have. It's just an exhaust sealant. I haven't ever used any and have had my exhaust off 4 or 5 times now with out a leak.

Just off the top of my head I wonder if it's a emissions deal. Like any tiny lead wouldn't pass EPA standards??

TooFst
07-07-2011, 11:39 PM
As a matter of fact I'm 99% sure mine had plain ole Anit-seize as well. It's just used for corrosion. Makes sence cuz I can see how that could hold alot of moisture right there. I've never used any and haven't had a problem but it wouldn't hurt.

Damn. Now I'm going to take off my pipe tomorrow and use some Anti-seize. That's going to bug the crap out of me.

xtreme
07-08-2011, 08:15 AM
I just bought some yesterday. I would hate to fue the pipe to the header.