PDA

View Full Version : odd sounding firebolt front brake noise

user_deleted
07-08-2011, 06:14 AM
bike: 2004 XB9R firebolt with 2650 one owner careful miles. i got it from original owner in FL who left it sit garaged for 1.5 years. stripped it to motor/frame/swingarm and freshened everything up. figured i'd throw front and rear pads at it while i have the bike apart. not because they were worn much but because i'm a kook. LOL. got a deal on sintered metallic bronze looking pads on fleabay but wasn't totally impressed with the look of them upon arrival. installed same, bled all fluids with fresh dot4 refill, buttoned up the bike and took it for maiden voyage last nite. front brake works superb, great lever feel, stops quickly...but the more braking pressure you apply at the lever, the more of a "clunking" noise i hear. not very loud, doesn't pulse the lever...just a clunking or clacking noise is best i can describe? any ideas what is going on here? crappy pads? what? thanks for the input.

Stevenc150
07-08-2011, 09:07 AM
It is a floating rotor setup, so that may be the source of your clunking. Check the torque on all your bolts and make sure all components shown below are there.

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/2339_20110124035248_L.jpg

user_deleted
07-09-2011, 01:05 AM
hey steven: yes sir, it is a floater. i never rode the bike prior to disassembly so don't know if the clacking noise was there prior to me disassembling it. i reinstalled the rotor and all hardware correctly after painting the wheels. i'm just wondering if it is the new pads trying to seat themselves or bed themselves in?

upthemaiden
07-09-2011, 04:44 AM
Try installing the old pads and take it for a ride to see if they do the same thing