PDA

View Full Version : i think i broke it

FIRETWIN03
07-08-2011, 09:36 AM
Just got a 03 buell xb9r a little over a month ago. Everything on the bike was in good shape. Then I was out riding it an when I was coming to a stop the motor sounded like it choked and I felt something brush my left leg. I looked the motor over and notice oil bubbles coming from the base gasket on the back cylinder and part of the gasket sticking out. Anyone know how hard it ia to pull the motors on these things. Is this a common problem or could something else have caused this? Any help would be appreciated.

dwrecked
07-08-2011, 09:50 AM
No this is not a common problem.
http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Do-It-Yourself-Buell-Mods/How-to-Rotate-your-engine--With-Pics. here is the link you need so you can decide if its hard or not.

chrispudd
07-08-2011, 09:50 AM
Ouch. Pictures are good, everyone prefers them on this site to help with accurate diagnosis.
Never heard of this before. If you're handy, you can remove the engine and repair it yourself. Check other threads for pics and descriptions on how to do it. Members here are very helpful, and there's a downloadable service manual at the top of the main page if you haven't already done so.
Post pics and we'll see what's goin on with that 03'.!

FIRETWIN03
07-08-2011, 10:07 AM
Yea no pics yet. I know my way around a bike but never worked on a buell. Just wanted to do some homework first before tearing her apart. Any ideas as to what would cause the base gasket to blow. The bike still runs fine except for a slow seeping oil bubble. I didn't have any issues with it before, the bike ran great.

lifeisafractal
07-08-2011, 08:02 PM
What do you mean by "base gasket"? IIRC, there are four gaskets on each cylinder: the crank case->jug, head, lower rocker and upper rocker.

strmvt
07-08-2011, 08:54 PM
think he's talking about the pushrod covers

Iamarchangel
07-08-2011, 09:53 PM
???

There is a cylinder, a rear one. It has a base. There is a gasket there. It is broke and leaks.

I've never heard that gasket called anything but a base gasket.

So, it's not as hard as all that.

You'll need to follow this thread. It's pretty good but you're going a bit further so read all the comments after the pics: rotate engine (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Do-It-Yourself-Buell-Mods/How-to-Rotate-your-engine--With-Pics)

I got a good deal on whole top end gasket kit on ebay.

You'll need to really work at cleaning the old gasket off and preparing the surface. I ended up using a high heat liquid gasket as well.

The exhaust studs will take special care. Use oil and a impact driver (you know what an impact driver is, right?)

The link to the manuals are at the top of this page. Few differences, they're easy to work around.

No special tools needed. Well, 12 point socket for the cylinder bolts.

Upper tie bars and throttle body need to be tightened before being raised.

V-bar that holds the oil cooler can be taken off as a unit and left dangling since you're working on the rear. Saves trying to stop the oil lines from leaking all over.

FIRETWIN03
07-09-2011, 05:31 AM
Thanks for the info. Hopefully i'll have the time here to get her fixed up.