PDA

View Full Version : Radar Detectors

Thaloc
07-06-2008, 08:46 PM
Anyone recommend and radar detectors for the Firebolt?

Thaloc
07-07-2008, 06:42 PM
Wow, no one?

FIDOSOL
07-07-2008, 08:36 PM
Any radar detector for a car will work, just have to wire up a 12v adapter, they sell those universal fit. Mounting will be rather creative though, don't want it ripping off at 100+MPH.

dave_xb12r
07-07-2008, 10:12 PM
My friend swears by the Valentine One. Its pretty cool. It even tells you which direction the radar is coming from.

joshs74nova
07-15-2008, 02:57 PM
Go to Valentine's website, I think they have a special bracket for motorcycles. I have one in my car, and it's saved me many of times! Well worth the money.

Thaloc
07-15-2008, 06:36 PM
Seeing as iv never hooked up a radar detector to a bike, what all consists of this upgrade. Any special actions I need to take. IM guessing the hardwire kit, but will my firebolt have the connecter for it under the upper cowling?

mrdozer2you
07-15-2008, 07:06 PM
A friend of mine hard wired a plug jack under his seat where it just shows where the tank and front of the seat meet. He keeps the actual radar detector in his jacket with an ear piece so he can hear it. He runs the cord under the front of his jacket and plugs it in.

bitter rod
07-15-2008, 07:39 PM
All a radar detector does is tell you that you just got caught. If you are paying attention you can usually see the patrol car early enough. Radar must have a line of sight to work, and smaller vehicles are hard to pick up. But, good luck with what you are doing...

Phrogg
07-15-2008, 09:10 PM
No they don't. Radars let you know when the cop is using his radar gun on someone. It could be anyone around you. Just because it goes off doesn't mean you are n his sights. It lets you know that a cop is in the area and that you should slow down.

firechickenXB9R
07-15-2008, 09:26 PM
Most Radar Detectors let you know miles ahead of time that he his up ahead. Long before you can see him or he can see you most of the time. Just a little peace of mind. Great to have on a bike.

mrdozer2you
07-16-2008, 02:17 PM
Yes for RADAR. Some departments are still using radar, most of which leave theirs on while the patrol car is running. So yes, you can pick them up miles away. The problem....when the cops set up a "speed trap" like you see when their sitting on the shoulder, they arent using Radar. They are most likely using "Laser" or "Strobe". This is the problem. The Detector only picks up the Laser/Strobe when it is on YOU, by then...it's too late.

firechickenXB9R
07-16-2008, 04:45 PM
Yes but it is harder to lock on to a bike with a Laser the further away you are (not as much area to hit as a car or truck) so by the time you see them you can slow down before see you. I have a friend that is a highway patrolmen he rides a patrol bike and they use lasers guns to pick people up insteadinstead of regular radar guns. But if your speeding there is alway and see a cop there is the two down and run! Just Kidding:D

bitter rod
07-16-2008, 06:33 PM
No they don't. Radars let you know when the cop is using his radar gun on someone. It could be anyone around you. Just because it goes off doesn't mean you are n his sights. It lets you know that a cop is in the area and that you should slow down.

Listen...this is what I do for a living. I never drive around with my radar on the entire time. I only hit it when I see a vehicle I believe is speeding. Then it only gets clicked on for 2 to 3 seconds at most. Your radar detector is not going to pick that up unless you are fairly close, which means, you're caught. I was just bringing this point up to say, I wouldn't go spending a bunch of money on a radar detector...you would be better off just saving that money for your next ticket.[smirk]

firechickenXB9R
07-16-2008, 07:02 PM
I know to many cops that run there radars all the time. Plus if you hit a car 1 to 2 miles in front of me the Radar will pick you up, way before you get me. This is all i am sayingi very rarelly speed but when i do is nice to have. Keep the roads safe bitter rod[up][up]

FIDOSOL
07-16-2008, 07:43 PM
Radar detectors work best if the group of traffic within a mile ahead of you is moving real good and there is a cop nearby trying to hit em'. As far as just you by yourself...I've had mine for 3 years now, still works, and has saved my ass a few times, when I was the only car on the road. So yea, they do work, most of the time. But hey I'll take every edge I can get...

matter
07-16-2008, 11:59 PM
valentine 1 is usually considered to be the one others are judged by, awesome tool. a couple of issues with a V1 on a bike are that the back of the unit should be as unobstructed as possible for the rear antenna to receiva signals and to use an earplug requires an optional remote adapter unless they have recently added a jack.

Matt

Thaloc
07-17-2008, 02:00 PM
Bel STi is immune to radar detector detectors, particularly the Spectre RDD, known outside the States as the Stalcar RDD. Powered up the test STI next to a late-model Spectre (Stalcar) Mk III on the dash and the Spectre never uttered a peep. Also found it to be highly resistant to false alarms. The BEL STi Driver also excelled at its primary mission--ferreting out distant radar signals. It spotted all five radars from over 11.25 miles away, the best performance I've ever witnessed from a radar detector. The STi Driver could well merit the title as the Swiss Army Watch of super-premium radar detectors. - Independent Study. Think I found my new toy

:p:p

Deon B
09-18-2008, 05:32 AM
Radar/Lazer detectors are not illegal; the Radar/lazer detector/jammer is illegal and can be detected by the actual cop doing the point duty.

The most detectors are set to warn when receiving a signal in a frequency spectrum or the lazer, and yes, I agree that it is quite difficult to actual track a bike in traffic because the ‘LARGEST’ metal object will deflect the beam

The second problem arises when traveling in a city because there is FR signal of numerous items that will give a warning, my detector however have a ‘city’ setting that will actually discard these signals and will only activate the buzzer on an direct pulse.

The third problem is that the ‘audible’ signal of the unit is not always that loud and in my case the exhaust on 200kph makes quite a lot of noise and I will not always hear the buzzer, a earpiece is a possibility, but we all use the normal ‘car’ type unit on small bracket behind the screen

The wiring of these units are quite simple and normal DDC jack wired from the headlight unit is easy, just make sure it is protected and that no water will damage the jack when riding or when standing still

In SA most of the cops use the lazer/radar units together with a camera and pulse oncoming traffic and rather record a photo and most of the times do not stop the actual vehicle/bike, this is ok because we do not have front number plates, if they record a photo from behind [the traffic moving away from the unit],it is also ok, most of our guys do not have rear number plates [illegal] and will rather accept a fine [R 250, +- $35] from the cop when trapped in a roadblock on when parking,Im lucky, only one fine of 8 years

The solution, travel as fast as possible and do not stop for any cop, happy riding Guys!!!!!

Thaloc
09-18-2008, 02:29 PM
The solution, travel as fast as possible and do not stop for any cop, happy riding Guys!!!!!
Im afraid laws are a bit more strict here in the states. But i still havn't dropped the 300 bones to get that Bel STI. Prolly woulda saved me a $200 ticket about a month ago. Like Bitter Rod said u can pretty much slow down in time if you are on the look out, and not doing 90+. Ignore the rest of this post Bitter.......Ignoring?........I usually travel at 75-85mph and even on higways I have time to slow to 65 when I see a sherrif or a trooper. I think they prolly had got me a couple times but when seeing I wasnt doing 100..and knowing I can they prolly cut me a break. Some cops are cool believe it or not.

myronman3
03-27-2009, 09:16 PM
keep in mind who comes and picks up the pieces when one of us gets splattered. cut them boys some slack. ride safe.

henri66
03-27-2009, 11:45 PM
Here are 3 motorcycle radar detectors,

http://www.radarroy.com/category/radar-detectors/motorcycle-radar-detectors-radar-detectors/

If you buy one, see if it fits under the dash.

Drive safe...

dave_xb12r
03-28-2009, 12:19 AM
I have a Beltronics RX65. It was worth every penny! I like it much more than the valentine one because it actually has adjustable settings. I definitely recommend buying a detector in this same price range. You really get what you pay for.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41mZOmdA1lL._SL500_AA280_.jpg