PDA

View Full Version : White wire mod? Lightning CityX XB9SX

FIDOSOL
07-06-2008, 11:08 PM
Can I get some input on the white wire mod i've been hearing about?

excerpt from www.steveturnbull.co.uk/buell/thexbpages/XBPerformance.htm

XB9 White Wire Mod - On the XB9, there is a white wire, which can be disconnected and results in a noticeable improvement in performance.

It is possible to either cut the white wire (bad idea) or remove the connector from the plug (better) For these connectors, you want the equivalent of a "pick tool". The connectors latch into the blocks by a little clip mechanism. Once you've separated the two halves of the block, there is a "Secondary Locking Wedge" that is a sort of cover over the female part of the connector. You have to prise that off before you can depress the terminal latch and remove the connector.

The white wire is on the grey deutche connector between the black/white and the pink/yellow wires, the second one in from the centre in the front row. This white wire goes to the vehicle speed sensor. This wire is related to the dip in performance to pass noise emissions tests, hence removing it on a 9 should improve performance. On a 12, there are questions as to the results.

Any help at all would be welcome...

FIDOSOL
07-06-2008, 11:44 PM
After trying it out on a run through the curves around my house and of course going through all the gears from a dead stop... That dip in performance is still there, keep in mind i'm running a bones stock CitX here, it's just not quite as pronounced. The real suprise came going from 1-2 gear and 2-3 gear. Quite a bit more pop-up than usual. I'm a fairly light rider 140lbs 5'9". Okay so I'm a real light rider. The point i'm making is that I adjusted my suspension so that the shock is set for my weight and the front end is approximately 1/2 inch lower than the rear because going from 1-2 and 2-3 in flat out acceleration the front end kept popping up. Before i pulled the white wire, the tire wouldn't actually come off the ground, now it does... wonder what it's like if i put the front suspension back stock?

PS I can only touch the ground with the balls of my feet...any suggestions that don't involve high heels or the expensive shorter shock? (Besides the lower seat...)

FIDOSOL
07-07-2008, 01:23 AM
Just a few pics, I'm sorry they aren't better quality, digital camera battery was dead so I used my cell phone and sent them to my email, you can't beat a good visual reference, hope to hear some replies from you guys that have already done this mod, and from some of you that try it soon.

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/1642_20080706181836_L.jpg
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/1642_20080706181129_L.jpg
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/1642_20080706181227_L.jpg
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/1642_20080706181355_L.jpg
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/1642_20080706181259_L.jpg
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/1642_20080706181638_L.jpg

edit: picture layout for better/easier view

typeone
07-07-2008, 01:33 PM
FYI, with the latest version of ECMSpy you can disable the 'white wire' with the click of a button.

I didnt feel anything dramatic on my US-spec 12.

FIDOSOL
07-07-2008, 08:14 PM
Before reading further, just wanted to let you know, I do appreciate your input, and I'm not trying to be a dick but...
That's fine for those of you with an ECMSpy, but it only took me 3 minutes to do this mod so not a big deal really. From what I've been able to gather it doesn't effect the 12 the same way it does the 9, There isn't really anything dramatic to feel, even on the 9, but (on the 9 at least) you can feel a difference. Every little bit counts, plus it's free, so good for those of us that can't afford anything else at the moment.

chuckanut
07-08-2008, 04:30 AM
Is this mod also for XB12Ss???

typeone
07-08-2008, 01:01 PM
Before reading further, just wanted to let you know, I do appreciate your input, and I'm not trying to be a dick but...
That's fine for those of you with an ECMSpy, but it only took me 3 minutes to do this mod so not a big deal really.

no sweat. my intention wasnt to say you were doing anything wrong, the comment wasnt directed solely at you, just wanted to add there is another method to perform this mod in case someone doesnt want to mess with their connector.

sharing info is whats its all about, no? title of the thread is 'white wire mod'.

and i agree, every bit counts. i still have mine disabled. [up] btw, Steves site is missing a little more info, "the white wire is connected to the ecm and the speed sensor. at various speeds and throttle position, timing is retarded to reduce noise and power."

Bordsnbikes
07-08-2008, 08:15 PM
It's been my expperience that if something sounds to good to be true (or to easy to get more power) it usually is. Of the folks who have done this, have any of you had any bad results, and how many miles have you put on it since you've done it?

FIDOSOL
07-09-2008, 12:14 AM
So far only about 30 miles, no ill effects yet...but if anything happens i'll let you know, and typeone, thanks again for your input. Chuckanut, I'm not sure if you will notice a difference on a 12 or not, have only done it on a stock 9 so far, but you could ask around, typeone could maybe help you. Bordsnbikes, that is true, but at the same time, I gotta try. Thanks Ya'll.

dmp0001
07-09-2008, 04:13 AM
I did it about a year ago, no problems. cant be sure of any performance gains though. any one have a dyno?

LeFox
07-09-2008, 10:42 AM
info: click (http://www.buellxb.com/article688.htm)

Bordsnbikes
07-09-2008, 02:48 PM
Thats good **** Lefox, thanks much. I haven't found a search function on this site (I'm not very computery) I'm gonna go pull the wire and see what I think.

LeFox
07-09-2008, 04:27 PM
haven't found a search function on this site (I'm not very computery)
above the 1st post on the left, just above 'welcome Bordsnbikes' ;)

dans03firebolt
07-09-2008, 08:07 PM
If the guy who has the 12 had any clue about that mod you would know it doesn't work on the 12 series. It is only designed for the 9 series. That white wire on the 12 is a totally different wire and doesn't do the same thing.

Bordsnbikes
07-09-2008, 08:41 PM
hmm, I guess I can't blame it on the computer skills then. Crap. Thanks again.

Also, I pulled the wire out this morning, taped it up, and just put 300 miles on it. Seems a little more peppy, and so adverse consequences. I think I'm a believer.

only1reds
06-05-2009, 09:11 PM
Hey on the ECMSpy, what am I looking for as far as an option to disable the white wire?

RyBuell
06-14-2009, 06:48 AM
Did it yesterday, i think im noticing a difference.
Thanks for the great instructions...and for the feedbeack from everyone.

RT Performance
06-15-2009, 04:03 AM
I will be puling mine tomorrow wish i seen this before the weekend;).
anyway to change the title to free power for xb9 lol

mcreef
08-26-2009, 05:00 AM
What years does the white wire mod
work on? I have a 2009 xb9sx.
Manufactured Oct 08.

7Mary3
01-18-2010, 02:05 AM
Same here - my 09 XB9sx looks like it has a different wiring configuration. [sad]

Kplus12
01-18-2010, 06:08 AM
Dang, different configuration on the 08 too. [confused] Do you guys think a white wire is a white wire? Just a different position on the connector? Like Fidosol said every bit counts. I'm ready to rip out the first white wire I find[smirk]

7Mary3
01-18-2010, 07:17 AM
From what I'm finding on the net and on different forums, this mod only applies to pre 08 and European models. :(

bdmridgeback
01-25-2010, 08:08 PM
Does anyone know if the "Race Only" ECM internally disables this white wire or if pulling the white wire with the Race ECM will actually do anything?

I was just figuring that the Race Only ECM would probably not use this white wire function seens how that ECM was for off road use ONLY to beguin with.

cronus1987
02-08-2010, 02:05 AM
So..I feel kinda stupid asking this as i consider myself pretty mechanically inclined and bike savvy, but...... where is the ECM?

I know WHAT it is and how to pull a wire from a connector without breaking it, but i just went out to look for it for a few minutes and i couldn't find it. I checked the parts and assemblies manual as well and couldn't find an actual location..

can somebody point me in the right direction?

tseldon
02-08-2010, 02:10 AM
its right behind the battery on lightnings, i think for firebolts its behind the front fairing

tech_1989
06-03-2010, 08:16 PM
I recently performed the white wire mod on my 2003 xb9s, along with the air box mod, and the removal of the rubber funnel that routes through the frame. I have the RACE ECM and race exhaust. It definately gives me more pep through the first 3 gears. I have heard nothing about ill effects and i have not experienced any myself

lokatwhaticando
07-26-2010, 08:24 PM
Just did the white wire, and I can say it is already faster with it out. 1st 2nd and 3rd are much faster in reves. when I took it out for a ride my jaw droped in how much faster it was. I had a smile from ear to ear. lol.. anyways thanks for the tip..:D:D:D

dethbrd
09-10-2010, 02:35 PM
according to the people who wrote the tuning guides for ecm spy: this mod is only for the xb9 and 2006 is the last year applicable.
i dont know if it works because i was just in the process of trying to teach myself how to tune it out with ecmspy and found the info in the tuning guide.

what i can say from experience is you can never have adequate backup. i did as suggested, backed up the stock map to 2 different folders in case i screwed up....then i went to load a map sourced from a forum and...BAM computer crashes during write process..... now bike cranks and wont start....lots of weird **** going on. lost all data on harddisc. i got it fixed after getting a new laptop and trying 2 different maps im told were stock for the 06 9sx, but now im a little gunshy, afterall, its the wifes bike.

upthemaiden
09-10-2010, 02:37 PM
I swear I didn't feel any difference when I pulled mine, maybe someday I'll plug it in and see if the bike feels slower. It's much easier to tell when a bike is going slower rather than when it starts going faster.

bobaganoosh
10-18-2010, 05:22 PM
someone mentioned that u can do this with ecmspy, anybody know what i got to click on?

jerseymayhem
10-18-2010, 07:38 PM
when i did it there was a box to click that said something about white wire mod. Been along time so i forget.

Stupid question: Can this be done on a 9r?

Stevenc150
10-18-2010, 08:33 PM
Yep.

JJsXB9Sx
10-19-2010, 08:03 AM
What does the white wire do/control when connected? Someone said it's only effective up to 2006 models. Anyone done it on a 09? I haven't even pulled the seat up to check and see if it is applicable to my bike (09).

upthemaiden
10-19-2010, 10:16 AM
Supposedly the white wire puts some kind of limit on something for environment regulations. It keeps the bike from making more power so emissions stay lower, something along those lines.

JJsXB9Sx
10-19-2010, 06:08 PM
Cool. I'm gonna check for it and pull it tonight. Anyone know if there is any truth to the mod only affecting 06 models and earlier?

dallasb
10-19-2010, 06:10 PM
Just use ecmspy to turn it off for the <08 bikes.

JJsXB9Sx
10-19-2010, 06:41 PM
Don't have the cable...looks like I need to make a small investment... I'd rather do that than start taking things apart anyway.

Tips on where to buy the cable for 09XB?

dallasb
10-19-2010, 06:53 PM
It doesn't have to be specifically for your year. Anything for an 03+ will work. Maybe even before the 03 but I'm not sure about it.
Click Here (http://xoptiinside.com/buell_store)

Redline5th
05-06-2011, 06:15 AM
This one looks like it's been dead for a while but I have a US 2003 XB9, do I have the ability to do this white wire mod? I can't tell really what's going on just by the pics in previous posts.

juGGernaut
01-22-2012, 09:57 AM
I know this subjects been pretty dead, but I was looking over it, and noticed there was not a whole lot of accurate information. Heres what I copied off the ECM tuning guide. Its found here.
http://www.ecmspy.com/download.shtml
And as you can read it works for 2007 and later models.
To see the actual table that I believe you see in ECM Spy on your laptops, jsut go to page 28 of that tuning guide. It doesn't show up when I copy paste it. Best of luck with the modding. :)

5.4 Noise Abatement Logic
The XB9 bikes up to and including 2007 model included logic to retard the ignition timing at
conditions corresponding to noise test points.
This results in a flatspot at around 3000 RPM.
The simple way around this is to remove the speed input to the ECM, this is a white wire on the grey
ECM connector, and hence this modification has become known as The White Wire Mod.
The ECM uses this as one of the criteria for retarding the ignition to meet noise legislation and hence
the function can be muted in the ECM.
5.4.1 Logical disconnection
Logical disconnection involves setting the [Spark Advance Retard Configuration] byte to turn the
function off. This is defined in Figure 16. A typical configuration for the function turned ON is shown
in Figure 17, a typical configuration for the function turned OFF is shown in Figure 18. Note the
unsetting of bit 1, ‘Activate on WOT transition’. Turning off this one bit is a surgical operation,
however setting the whole byte to zero works equally as well, and is used on the Parts and
Accessories (P&A) Race ECMs.
Stop accel enrichment when activated
Enable ramp out
Deactivate when no accel
Deactivate when leaving WOT
Use initial values
Activate only if accel and WOT
Activate on WOT transition
Activate on accel
Figure 16 [Spark Advance Retard Configuration] byte definition
1 1 0 1 1 0 1 0
Figure 17 Typical configuration for the function turned ON
1 1 0 1 1 0 0 0
Figure 18 Typical configuration for the function turned OFF
5.4.2 Physical disconnection
1. Locate the ECM
2. Remove the grey connector
3. Remove seal and place somewhere safe
4. Carefully prise out the orange retainer using a small electricians screwdriver (indentations already
there to help on the sides)
5. Locate the white wire at pin 8 (small numbers are present on the back of the connector)
6. Pull on the white wire whilst holding back the locating tag inside the plug
7. Once removed, refit the orange retainer, replace the seal and plug the grey connector back into the
ECM
8. You MUST insulate the removed terminal as it's connected to the VSS and speedometer
(heatshrink is good) and then cable tie it back to the loom.

wanta6thgear
01-22-2012, 10:34 AM
I have a 09 xb9xs with a jardine gp 1.I did the tps reset.will this white wire mod benefit or hinder performance?thanks in advance.

kab
01-22-2012, 11:00 AM
What I don't understand is in ecmspy when I fetch my EEPROM it says white wire off. So what do I have to do turn it on? Does off mean white wire mod off and white wire mod on?

juGGernaut
03-01-2012, 06:36 PM
I am running tunerpro rt, where abouts in that program is the white wire mod so i can turn it off or on.. Or whats the specific name of this so I can look for it in tuner pro

uly luigi
03-01-2012, 07:02 PM
"The White Wire" I know involves head lights only, not the ECM

uly luigi
03-01-2012, 07:08 PM
inthe connection to the headlight module is where you tie in to the low beam active in high beam, the only way to power the low beam light when in high beam is the white wire going to your parking light

juGGernaut
03-01-2012, 07:18 PM
I thought this was for the white wire for the emissions...

bobaganoosh
03-01-2012, 08:15 PM
Yes the white wire mod is for emissions only in the xb 9 models. I have it disabled through ecm spy though I don't really know if it did anything but it may have already been done when I bought the bike

kab
03-02-2012, 03:30 AM
I don't understand turning off the white wire with ecmspy, why I hooked up my bike to ecmspy and looked at the white wire it said it was off already. My bike was completely stock and the PO never ran ecmspy on it. Do I have to turn the white wire "on" in ecmspy? I don't want to unhook it on the ECM that's why I'm asking. Thanks

bobaganoosh
03-02-2012, 10:22 AM
Same thing with me. I'm not sure if the owner before me ever used ecm spy and when I first hooked it up it said it was off already. I turned it on then back off just to make sure it was off. I didn't notice any difference. I've thought about unhooking the wire just to make sure

kab
03-02-2012, 01:22 PM
Well I know the PO of my bike never used ecmspy, all maintenance was done by the local HD. So I'm wondering if white wire off means that white wire mod is off..... I'm just throwing out ideas because there is no way mine could already be turned off.

bobaganoosh
03-02-2012, 04:29 PM
Try it

kab
03-02-2012, 04:45 PM
Well my bike is in the basement for the winter, but when it gets nice out I'll take it for a couple runs as is now and then change it to see if I can tell a difference.....[up]

hobby10k
07-07-2012, 09:42 PM
ok I came to this thread as I saw the white cable on/off on my ecm spy program. I have a 2005 xb12.. is there a benefit to turning the white cable off with the ecm spy? just wondering if I should do it or not.

hobby10k
07-07-2012, 09:44 PM
oh also, i have the 02 sensor on/off option on the ecm spy as well.... Do the 2005 even have 02 sensor? cause it says mine is "on" on the ecm spy program. should I just shut this "off" since my bike doesn't have 02 sensor (at least I dont see an 02 sensor)

Xb12sLt
07-08-2012, 12:24 AM
I believe the white wire mod doesn't work on the 12, your O2 sensor is on the rear cylinder header pipe.

BuellSki
08-21-2012, 07:15 PM
I recently did this mod on my 03 xb9sl. After doing it I did a tps reset. Now the bike will barely idle. It will stay on for about 10 seconds then die. Has anyone experienced this issue after doing this. Also, I didn't do it through ecmspy. I pulled the wire from the harness. I'm not throwing any codes.

BuellSki

ben10
11-11-2013, 06:31 AM
Does anyone know, does it work on a xb9r firebolt 2007 and where the lume connection is?

faceplant
02-20-2014, 04:34 AM
I know this is old, but..I disabled the white wire, bike would not start then, huge back fire pop..

Cosworth
02-27-2014, 01:08 PM
Is your bike a xb9 or xb12 on a 12 the white wire serves a different function. Plug it back in and see if your symptoms go away.

I did this to my 9sx last weekend and it is noticable the timing retard function no longer operates so first gear acceleration is better.

WhiteKnuckle
05-31-2020, 09:56 PM
I know this is old, but..I disabled the white wire, bike would not start then, huge back fire pop..

Well this thread is now far older, but it's the first one that pops up when you search White Wire Mod, and since I ran into this same problem today I figured I'd bump this relic.

I tried doing this mod this morning and had the exact same issue as faceplant and BuellSki, after having some coffee and carefully rereading this thread I found out where I erred. There are two connectors going into the ECU, a black one on the left side and a grey one on the right. At least on my 03 XB9SL, there is a very prominent white wire going into the black connector, and at a quick glance none coming out of the grey connector. Pulled the connector, pulled the wire, bike ran like ****.

So... Don't unplug the white wire in the black connector!

Instead, remove the grey connector and wipe 17 years of grime off the wires and you'll be able to see the white one hiding as hard as it can in the middle of the loom. Unplug wire, bike runs awesome.