PDA

View Full Version : Battery Tie Down

McMurphy
07-10-2011, 11:46 AM
Can someone take a few pictures (or have a diagram) of the battery compartment, including the points where the rubber tie down connects, and how those are mounted?

Had my bike stored at my buddies house for the last year, with his wife rotating it onto the trickle charger. At one point the battery had died (I have a short somewhere I havn't been able to find) and she had replaced it.

But she kind of just shoved the new battery in there since she didn't really know much about it, and since it was sitting she just put the strap under the rear seat.

Now I think the bracket that holds the tie down, that is toward the front of the bike, is missing or something, but can't remember what it looks like. Thanks.

jakestolar
07-10-2011, 11:49 AM
This is the only one I have. Dunno if it helps any
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll4/jakestolar/Bike/DSC01196.jpg

user_deleted
07-10-2011, 12:41 PM
mcmurphy: on my 2004 bolt which should be like yours, the long rubber tie down has hook on one end, slot in the rubber on other end. the hook end hooks onto a stainless looking hook AT THE TOP, top of battery. you have to unscrew the 5 rear tail piece body work screws and slide the bodywork back an inch or so to put the battery in its correct place. at least on my bike i do. then the rubber strap hooks onto a hook at bottom of the battery box area. i don't think she would have removed any of that hardware.

McMurphy
07-10-2011, 01:12 PM
Actually that's exactly what I needed, when I looked last night I didn't notice the place to hook it towards the front of the bike. Going to go check it in a few minutes once I get done making breakfast.

And Jake...whatever it is you're doing to get your wife to allow you to work on your bike in the kitchen...well you gotta share that knowledge for sure.

jakestolar
07-10-2011, 01:54 PM
And Jake...whatever it is you're doing to get your wife to allow you to work on your bike in the kitchen...well you gotta share that knowledge for sure.

Look closely in the back ground...

COOKIES!!!!!!!!!

McMurphy
07-10-2011, 02:36 PM
I thought those were hashbrowns :P

Just went out and checked, and I'm not seeing where the rubber end of the tie down connects to the bike. Here's a pic.

I doubt she would have either, and it's quite possible that I'm going blind along with going deaf...

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about.

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/10082_20110710083306_L.jpg

jakestolar
07-10-2011, 02:46 PM
IIRC you are supposed to have a little tab with a "J" shape to the end of it that your battery strap connects to first (the front of the strap connects first)

McMurphy
07-10-2011, 06:42 PM
I was pretty sure something else was supposed to be by the front of it, but I'm still not seeing that tab anywhere. DO you think it would be easy enough to remove that she may have done it? Would it be easy enough to just fabricate something, or should I call and try to order one?

jakestolar
07-10-2011, 07:11 PM
I really have no idea. I don't recall it being able to just fall out. Someone on here has to have a good picture or parts diagram

anrkizm95
07-10-2011, 07:30 PM
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/6369_20110710132945_L.jpg

g--rcSOfJKY

McMurphy
07-11-2011, 01:34 AM
Anrkizm, the bracket for that end is there. I'm juat not seeing the bracket the rubber wns mounts on.