PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leaking on Exhaust

txrenegade
07-14-2011, 12:26 PM
I have had my 2004 xb12r for a few months now. Right after I got it, I had the dealer change the oil and look it over. Last week I did an oil change and put Mobil 1 full synthetic in it. Just the other day, I noticed some oil had leaked onto my exhaust. It looked like it come from the filter area. I took off the chin fairing and cannot find where the oil had come from. Everything was totally clean around the filter and the bottom of the engine. Any ideas??

jasonxb9
07-14-2011, 01:10 PM
Check the oil line connections?

Livers
07-14-2011, 02:44 PM
Without a picture, I'm guessing. Oil filter, it's the last thing that was touched. Start the bike and look.

Iamarchangel
07-14-2011, 03:44 PM
Go for a ride. If it's from the oil change, it will burn off and you'll have had a ride.

If it gets worse, head home, you've got a problem. You had a ride, time to get to work.

txrenegade
07-14-2011, 07:58 PM
Well I wiped the oil off the exhaust and looked all over. Clean all around the oil filter. Clean all around the oil lines and fittings. Checked it and it wasn't even a bit low. Rode over an hour today and no sign of oil. I guess I'll just keep an eye on it. Thanks for the suggestions.

07Bolt
07-15-2011, 12:09 AM
prob coming from ur breathers/pcv plugs; seeping down the heads and onto the muffler. my 07 did that a lot.

did the breather reroute and now it smokes/leaks from the breather filter when running hot

my pcv's even popped out time to time; siliconed what i could and they stayed put

Iamarchangel
07-15-2011, 12:53 PM
Bet you didn't clean it that completely when you changed the oil and filter. It dribbles down after time and looks scary.

I learned my lesson last time.