PDA

View Full Version : Breather Reroute

xtreme
07-15-2011, 02:44 PM
Ok Guys and Girls I have a 2010XB12R and have been reading about the breather reroute and catch can. Do I really need this mod? What exactly does it help with and finally I read that someone said a remap would need to be done. I am running a preprogramed EBR ECM, K&N and a Drummer SS. A little insight would be great. Thanks.

jakestolar
07-15-2011, 02:45 PM
here ya go
http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Buell-Lightning-XB12S-XB12Ss-CityX-XB12Scg/Breather-Reroute-Questions

For re-map I am bout to work with a member named "theoctopus" here is a link to some info that we were just talking about
http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Buell-Firebolt-XB12-XB9/Tuner-Pro.-Flame-suit-on

xtreme
07-15-2011, 02:52 PM
Thanks Jakestolar, looks pretty cut and dry.

jakestolar
07-15-2011, 02:55 PM
It is. Mine is a bit different tho. I have no filter or catch can. Just a small piece of tubing that drips on my exhaust

wannaride
07-15-2011, 03:15 PM
I highly reccomend it I did it a few weeks ago and it runs way smoother, I didn't notice a power increase but its definetly worth. Oh and I didn't need a remap.

freak2180
07-15-2011, 03:25 PM
I did it on my 04 12r and ended up removing it after a while because I never got any of the drainage that most get....... My hose's were just as clean inside when I removed them as they were when I installed them.

anrkizm95
07-15-2011, 03:45 PM
waste of time and money imo

oh9bolt
07-15-2011, 04:05 PM
Freak and anrkizm are right I had mine on for a year with no fluid ever in the hose, and it made no difference in how it performed anything, if it runs fine from the jump there is no need for it. I did it because I was trying to hit 160 with no luck.

anrkizm95
07-15-2011, 04:12 PM
I was trying to hit 160 with no luck

lmao

GOduc
07-15-2011, 04:25 PM
I did it on my 04 12r and ended up removing it after a while because I never got any of the drainage that most get....... My hose's were just as clean inside when I removed them as they were when I installed them

it has a lot to do with how much humidity is in the air, if its really dry, like here in texas, mine drains very little if any at all--------------i can attest that it DID GET RIDE OF THE hiccup @ around 80 or so while cruising, other than that, it just lets the crankcase breath and get cleaner air....thats pretty much it

jakestolar
07-15-2011, 04:42 PM
it just lets the crankcase breath and get cleaner air

I partially disagree, The crank case will breathe with out it. That's what the two hoses from the PCV valves going into the air box are for.
The crank case does not get cleaner air because the PCV valve vents from behind the air filter already. It should however allow for the engine to breathe air that is not partially oil saturated (for combustion)

xtreme
07-15-2011, 04:42 PM
Well I am gonna hold off then, and do some inspecting at the end of the ride season. Thanks guys..

jakestolar
07-15-2011, 04:56 PM
I did it to prevent oil mixing with my intake and gumming it up. I recommend you do. BUT only after you remove the upper intake cover (to expose air filter) you will see two hoses sticking up look in that area and see if it is all oily. Mine was with only 1500 miles

xtreme
07-15-2011, 04:58 PM
Will do this weekend

anrkizm95
07-15-2011, 05:05 PM
15,000 miles on my 09 without it no oil in my airbox throttle body is clean.i think people that have other problems with theyre bike benefit from it not dumping oil in the airbox.unless you have excessive blow-by you really dont need it.the little filter looks kind of cool though

jakestolar
07-15-2011, 05:47 PM
my bike was dropped, maybe while laying on its side the oil leaked
either way I am satisfied with the mod

anrkizm95
07-15-2011, 05:55 PM
a lot of people swear by it and if works for them thats awesome.i have noticed that not as many people with newer model bikes give it good reviews

jakestolar
07-15-2011, 05:57 PM
I honestly don't notice a difference either way. But mine just diverts the breather elsewhere. No goofy filters or catch cans

GOduc
07-15-2011, 07:44 PM
It should however allow for the engine to breathe air that is not partially oil saturated (for combustion)

thats what i meant by....

just lets the crankcase breath and get cleaner air[up][up]

nativeXb12Rbuell
07-15-2011, 09:44 PM
you all may want to checkout this thread here
Oil in my Airbox (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Buell-Lightning-XB12S-XB12Ss-CityX-XB12Scg/Oil-in-my-airbox)

read through it and watch ALL the videos.

if your not having any problems with oil in the airbox or stuttering or some hesitation,
then you may not need the breather re-route.
(but the breahter re-route , may not elimnate the entire problem if there is more to the problem),

the point of the breather reroute is to keep the oil mist spray and vapor and crankcase gases from entering in to the intake . the gases and oil mist and vapors dont burn very well and cause your engine to run at BELOW its' OPTIMUM level .

there is many sides to this breather reroute mod "debate" !! it helps most bikes with the small simaliar problem and some it doesn't help much or not at all more than likely because of other problems.(usually problems that was not properly diagnosed or troubleshoted)

here's another thread on this too , & search for more..
http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Buell-Lightning-XB12S-XB12Ss-CityX-XB12Scg/Draining-the-breather-line

from the service manual:
Crankcase Breathing System ,see fig.3-114. Presure created in the flywheel area on the piston downstroke is released through the REED VALVE into the gear case. From there a mixtre of crankcase air and oil mist is vented up the push rod covers to the upper rocker box(top of head).
see fig.3-115. Air is allowed to escape the rocker boxes by exiting the postive crankcase vent(PCV) valves(4)
locatedon top of the rocker boxes (top of rocker cover/valve cover).From the PCV valves the air enters the crankcase breather hoses(2,& 3). The crankcase breather hoses route through the air cleaner base plate (1) to the air box where it isdirected inside the air filter element and back into the engine. the oil mist collects and eventually returns to the crankcase through oil passageways in the cylinder heads. that how it is originally designed to work. maybe that might help you understand it somewhat better. see figures below..
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/1714_20100301130857_L.jpg
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/1714_20110423103858_L.jpg

user_deleted
07-16-2011, 07:02 AM
on my 2007 XB9R city X with 525 miles on it, i did the reroute and hayden breather valve set-up. i don't think it made a damn bit of difference but it sure gave me a good excuse to spend money. also gives me parking lot bragging rights as to who knows the most about buells, sexy parts hanging on bike, crankcase scavenging dynamics, on and on. LOL LOL:D

J_Undisputed
07-16-2011, 07:37 AM
I did it to get rid of a lot of the residue the stock set up left on the inside of the airbox, when I got the bike a year ago. But it did seem to clear up a lot of the jerk/surge/stumble I had when I held the throttle steady at a low rpm...like when I was practicing the Box exercise from the basic rider course.

xtreme
07-16-2011, 12:11 PM
I am thinking I may need to do it. I went for a 100 mile ride today and everytime I would get on it at about 3500-4000rpm it would lag a bit before kicking in. Anyone use the KDFab set up

xtreme
12-30-2011, 03:00 PM
Bump. Looking for a clean can but don't want to drop $160.00

PwrHse
12-31-2011, 12:04 AM
American sportbike .http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/10392_20110612160923_L.jpg

xtreme
12-31-2011, 05:14 AM
Pwrhse, did you get the hose's from there also? and air you running a small filter?

captain chaos
12-31-2011, 09:53 AM
Bump. Looking for a clean can but don't want to drop $160.00

My setup: http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Buell-Firebolt-XB12-XB9/My-invisible-catch-can-breather-setup

Very easy and very cheap. I might have had $10 in the whole thing.

xtreme
12-31-2011, 10:44 AM
Thanks captain. You wer spitting a lot of oil before. I am actually found an old spray gun, that is beyond repair. Thinking about converting the canister to a catch can.

PwrHse
01-01-2012, 01:44 AM
I got the open air kit and the catch can from American sport bike at the same time , and if I remember correct the hoses came with air kit , not the catch can . I do not run any filter , do not need it with the can , it has a an overflow that works as a vent . My bike is an 09 and I do get a little build - up after some rides . I usually check it after a few rides and the build - up is there , just not much .

BuellyBagger
01-01-2012, 05:58 PM
my bike had a pretty good oil film in the air box and a lil on the air filter. I'm perdy sure its not from "excessive" blow by its only got 6.7k on it. I ride in fairly humid weather (southwest iowa southeast neb in the spring thru fall. So to avoid ne Crankcase gasses/oil goin down the intake i went ahead with it, spent 50 bucks. Dont know if it will make ne difference havent rode it yet. I figured what the hell, it couldnt hurt. Also all the harley custom intakes or Screamin Eagle intakes route the breather away from the intake charge so there might b something to it.

xtreme
01-02-2012, 06:04 AM
Thanks for the input guys, I am looking into a couple different catch cans right now. I will post pics onc I get it done.

Eric_J
11-28-2014, 05:43 AM
Well this is my attempt at what I thought would look good. Opened her up and fixed it. Ran the line down in behind the oil cooler and put a T in behind there. One line runs straight down to where I have plugged it with a brass cap to drain manually and the other end has the filter on it. Clean and neat in my books. Thanks to everyone for all the posts and pictures and information, made this a lot easier. Cost me around $20.
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/19694_20141127234230_L.jpg

GregoXB
04-23-2018, 01:16 PM
Can you do a breather reroute and just route an open hose draining to the ground? I am wondering, since the engine breathers both suck and blow, would you be risking sucking in dirty air into the engine?

Silverrider
04-23-2018, 02:09 PM
Yes, But your engine Blows is why you have oil in your breather base, as your engine gets more wear it get worse, A ground hose would drip could get on rear rubber bad thing. Thats why they call it (Blow by) not (Suck in ).:black_eyed: Also each rocker cover has a PVC valve,

konarider94
04-23-2018, 03:18 PM
Can you do a breather reroute and just route an open hose draining to the ground? I am wondering, since the engine breathers both suck and blow, would you be risking sucking in dirty air into the engine?

I've had an open hose behind the left footpeg that just dumps to the ground for years (almost 30k miles). Every once and a while I'll get a tiny spot of spooge on the ground after a ride when its parked. Its mostly water vapor that condenses in the hose and mixes with a little oil residue so it always looks milky. You dont get anywhere near enough blowby while riding to affect tire performance.

user_deleted
04-23-2018, 03:20 PM

since the engine breathers both suck and blow

they do not.

Silverrider
04-23-2018, 03:48 PM
I've had an open hose behind the left footpeg that just dumps to the ground for years (almost 30k miles). Every once and a while I'll get a tiny spot of spooge on the ground after a ride when its parked. Its mostly water vapor that condenses in the hose and mixes with a little oil residue so it always looks milky. You dont get anywhere near enough blowby while riding to affect tire performance.

They would Not be allow that on the Track either.

konarider94
04-23-2018, 06:24 PM
They would Not be allow that on the Track either.

That's probably true and worth pointing out I guess. But the XB is a ****ty track bike anyway.

Silverrider
04-23-2018, 06:41 PM
That's probably true and worth pointing out I guess. But the XB is a ****ty track bike anyway.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/mcy/d/buell-blast-track-only/6567661514.html

You are correct! lol

FementedAgave
05-10-2021, 08:00 PM
So if I don't mind the odd garage drip (Arizona, no tracking), do I need the cock valve and breather?

Outlaw
05-10-2021, 10:17 PM
The what valve ? Dirty

34nineteen
05-10-2021, 10:56 PM
You can try this also. Some have said it works well.

http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buell/messages/142838/706150.jpg

Cooter
05-11-2021, 03:38 AM
Isn't that defeating the point of the intake sucking breather fumes?

You should not be getting enough blow-by to cause a drip out of the breather hose unless it's a very, very, very, worn engine.
You can give the hose a bend or a loop if you want the vapors to coalesce. I experimented with that on a Buell with 40K miles and after a year... unravel the looped hose and... not one drop.:up:

TheWood
05-11-2021, 02:29 PM
This pleases me to hear, as my new to me Buelly has about that mileage. Not sure at what point the bypass was installed. I'm enjoying getting up to speed(a good pun here) learning from you guys.

You should not be getting enough blow-by to cause a drip out of the breather hose unless it's a very, very, very, worn engine.
You can give the hose a bend or a loop if you want the vapors to coalesce. I experimented with that on a Buell with 40K miles and after a year... unravel the looped hose and... not one drop.:up:

34nineteen
05-11-2021, 02:46 PM

Well, its not a "re-route", but supposedly redirects some of the vapor to land on the airbox floor, rather than directly into the intake.

Cooter
05-11-2021, 05:41 PM
TBH, I understand the breather outlets being in the airbox, it makes sense for emissions and the slight intake vacuum helps PCV too. Besides theres no way you could measure any performance difference, much less feel one.

But I do hate that oily air is pumped into an airbox right next to a paper filter:confused: Most of us run KN filters so thats a wash (PUUUUNNNNNN!!!!!) but I think it's asking for trouble with an old motor, and soaking/degrading a poorly maintained OE paper filter element. IMO.

Old carburated cars would have a breather filter inside the air cleaner housing. A little (sometimes washable) sponge that would soak up the oil fumes and let air pass before hitting the paper element. Seems like a simple solution that would work well on a Buell. Whatever you put in there, be careful as its inside the intake tract and theres nothing to stop it from going down the TB.

34nineteen
05-11-2021, 05:54 PM
TBH, I understand the breather outlets being in the airbox, it makes sense for emissions and the slight intake vacuum helps PCV too. Besides theres no way you could measure any performance difference, much less feel one.

But I do hate that oily air is pumped into an airbox right next to a paper filter:confused: Most of us run KN filters so thats a wash (PUUUUNNNNNN!!!!!) but I think it's asking for trouble with an old motor, and soaking/degrading a poorly maintained OE paper filter element. IMO.

Old carburated cars would have a breather filter inside the air cleaner housing. A little (sometimes washable) sponge that would soak up the oil fumes and let air pass before hitting the paper element. Seems like a simple solution that would work well on a Buell. Whatever you put in there, be careful as its inside the intake tract and theres nothing to stop it from going down the TB.

CoOters buddy, TPEHAK posted up this neat-o cross section of the PCV valves on the XB. He's not guessing, as it looks like he actually ran one through a bandsaw.

https://i.ibb.co/K9xMXyh/PCV-Valve-3.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/vBjRkbY/PCV-Valve-2.jpg

FementedAgave
05-11-2021, 06:49 PM

Looks much simpler than the full reroute. My new steed has only a mild dusting of oil in the box so not worried about volume, nor condensation here in AZ.
Thanks guys.

Cooter
05-12-2021, 05:04 AM
Ha! I remember that. Crazy genius... is still crazy:upset:

He probably tried to sell the internal pieces but was going to add 30% if you showed up to his door to buy them.

CC83
01-03-2022, 06:54 PM

I have read through all these forums on the breather re route and still have not read a clear cut answer on whether you should do this. Im guessing the reasoning is because everyone lives in different areas and bikes react differently everywhere. So heres a question to add to the above attempt which i am going to try just because why not. But why not add a breather filter to the end of either both of these hoses or to the T so you have just 1 breather filter? Yes you still get the hot air from the engine (which from what I understand the bike was designed that way?), but you wont get the debris if there is any being sucked in. I know you want cool clean air to be sucked in for the best results. Im going to mess with it this spring and see if I notice any type of difference with all of the ways ive seen on this forum. Just thinking out loud dont mind me and my useless ramble.

34nineteen
01-03-2022, 08:59 PM
I have read through all these forums on the breather re route and still have not read a clear cut answer on whether you should do this. Im guessing the reasoning is because everyone lives in different areas and bikes react differently everywhere. So heres a question to add to the above attempt which i am going to try just because why not. But why not add a breather filter to the end of either both of these hoses or to the T so you have just 1 breather filter? Yes you still get the hot air from the engine (which from what I understand the bike was designed that way?), but you wont get the debris if there is any being sucked in. I know you want cool clean air to be sucked in for the best results. Im going to mess with it this spring and see if I notice any type of difference with all of the ways ive seen on this forum. Just thinking out loud dont mind me and my useless ramble.

My thought is that this setup MAY help redirect the air flow and MAY give a chance for the oil drops to fall to the floor of the air box, instead of just pointing the hose upwards at the air horn. MAYBE this will prevent SOME oil from being drawn into the intake. At least prevent the larger particles from being sucked in. Maybe. Probably. Maybe.

You could put filters on the breather hoses, but the vapors will still get past the element and get sucked into the air horn.

The point behind the filter on an catch can set up is to catch any residue that may get sucked into the PCV valves/rocker boxes from the outside. However, this is going to be minimal (also see road draft tube). Our saviour, Lunatic_Fringe often swore this was the idea way to go when he was racing flathead Fords back in the 1920's.

That said, I put the elbows on my PCV breathers where the vent back into the air cleaner. I will probably reroute them to a catch can, if I ever get off my lazy arse and install it.

https://www.twinmotorcycles.nl/webshop/artikel.asp?guid=YXHFSC&aid=10652&cid=0&s=&aname=Buell_XB_Billet_catch_can_