PDA

View Full Version : Check engine light

Maas562
07-16-2011, 12:25 PM
So I went for a ride this morning and noticed that my cel light was on. The bike is an 08 12r with about 8300 miles. Never had any problems before this. The only mods are breather and a jardine.
My buddy hooked it up to ecmspy and it says no trouble codes present. You can press clear codes but the light comes back within 10 seconds of running. I notice no difference in how the bike runs since the light came on.

Any ideas?

anrkizm95
07-16-2011, 01:05 PM
ride the bike until the check engine light comes on dont turn the bike off then check for codes.some codes will not set in history if conditions are not right.then when you turn the bike off you loose the code.when you turn the ign on the bike performs a self test on certain circuits iac and exhaust servo are two of those they can pass during a self test but fail during riding conditions.also check the wires in the harness pictured there are three wires in the harness the two smaller ones can break and cause your problem it happended to me a while back.

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/6369_20110716065755_L.jpg

Iamarchangel
07-16-2011, 04:39 PM
CEL will come on for a ground fault or a heat issue and not leave codes for either.

So, ground fault: my R, and others, found theirs on the headlight wiring subassembly connector. Look at the black wire going into the connector on the harness side.

If not, have fun, happy hunting.

jimijeans
07-17-2011, 02:23 PM
Hope it's a simple fix.Battery terminal etc..But might want to check the volts while idling 12.5- and also up around 3000Rpms which should be at that Rpms 14.5 or so.The XB12R-08+ bikes seem to have the Regulators go out then around 13,500miles the Stator seems to go out as well.It could also be the interactive Exhaust actuator up on top of the Air box.Don't know what changes you may have done Mods and such but some of the problems on these bikes won't have a Historic OR Current code stored in the Bikes ECM.Do some some simple tests Voltage first then grounds etc.08+ bikes work somewhat differently than the older Buells in some areas.Make sure to have a good charged battery in the bike when doing this test.*Jimi

Maas562
07-20-2011, 06:43 AM
Checked battery terminals, they were a little lose so I cleaned and tightened. Still no luck, the light still comes on. Check a few of the other things mentioned as well.

Maas562
07-20-2011, 08:04 AM
Anybody know how to test if the exhaust actuator is bad?

MotoPhreke
07-20-2011, 08:30 AM
Not sure about testing the actuator, but you could try disabling the warnings, fire it up see if it comes on. If it does, go back and turn them on, that's not your issue..

I know I can toggle them on and off on my 06 with ECMSpy, but never played with Tuner Pro...

Alfatango1
07-20-2011, 08:37 AM
Mine comes on only when I've hit 70 mph or higher. I can drive all day long under 70 and nothing. no stored codes, runs fine but I hate to see it, gotta figure mine out too.