PDA

View Full Version : spark plug replacement

Bordsnbikes
07-08-2008, 10:59 PM
The sales guy that sold me my 06 xb9sx said that it cost $150 to have the dealer replace the spark plugs. He also told me that in order to do it I need a specialty tool, he described it as a triple swivel with a spark plug socket. 150 bucks is outrageous. Is he an idiot, or am I for believing him? How do you guys change your plugs?

Devlsmurf
07-08-2008, 11:05 PM
Crikey Man! That sounds ridiculous. All you need is a standard socket set, 12 inch extension, and a swivel socket (not a special one..everyday run of the mill 5 dollar at autozone..swivel socket) and that's really only necessary for the rear plug. a 12 inch or so piece of about 3/8 inch tubing helps out a lot too..it makes it easier to seat that rear plug. After you take your LH scoop and airbox off, you'll see that there is not a whole lot of room to maneuver around in there.

Bordsnbikes
07-08-2008, 11:42 PM
I know they make specialty tools for a lot of applications. I saw a special torx bit thats wicked long and it's only for use on a ford intake or something. So I didn't think it was that far fetched, but wanted to check. Thanks for the reply Devlsmurf.

dans03firebolt
07-09-2008, 05:44 PM
There is no specialty tool to change the plugs. I can change both of mine in less than 10 minutes. It is simple. You just need a 3" extension and a 2" swivel extension and you can get your rear plug out no problem. The front plug you must use an open end wrench to get it out.

Don't pay it go out there and check out the job it is pretty easy.

Bordsnbikes
07-09-2008, 08:45 PM
Will do. I'm not used to a performance engine, or anything built this tight. I'm used to old chevy's and my Sportster. I sounds like it'll be no problem. Thanks folks.

LeFox
07-10-2008, 07:13 AM
just be carefull when fitting a new plug, so you don't mess up the thread ;)